BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a set of Alpine S-S40 speakers after reading the advice of those who have done similar upgrades on here. Looks like mine are under mounted from inside the box instead of drop in from the top like the older design.

I’ve taken the screws out of the backside of the box, but for the life of me I can’t manage to split the box to remove and replace the speaker to save my life. It seems like there’s some kind of glue or sealant holding them together.

I really want to avoid breaking the boxes, but even prying with a screwdriver between the boxes doesn’t seem to make a dent. Any advice on splitting the speaker boxes from those that have done it?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Year and model of your bike?

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Heat them up to loosen the glue. Heat gun or low heat in the oven. They will separate when sufficiently warmed. Regrets that I cannot provide a target temperature.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Heat gun. It won’t split open on its own, but get it fairly warm around the entire circumference of the box, then give a slight pry with a small flathead screwdriver to separate the two halves. There are no tangs or grooves to worry about breaking off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts