BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Preema
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered before, but in the interests of expedience... Twice now, starting up in the morning, my starter motor has spun without engaging. It works fine on the second attempt but this 'fault' does worry me. I've not long had the boy back after the repairs to the reverse resulting from the recall work. It's easy to see how they can be related.
"Is this a known fault, a simple fix" she asks in foolish ambivalence.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I'm sure this has been covered before, but in the interests of expedience... Twice now, starting up in the morning, my starter motor has spun without engaging. It works fine on the second attempt but this 'fault' does worry me. I've not long had the boy back after the repairs to the reverse resulting from the recall work. It's easy to see how they can be related.
Well if misery loves company, you got it. Mine did the same thing twice during the last couple of days. Looks like I’ll be visiting the dealer soon. Warranty should cover it. Hopefully yours is still under warranty too.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It would be nice if it were a simple fix, but it's not. You need a new Starter Clutch. It's a new assembly plus several hours of labor. As long as you're still under warranty, all you're out is the inconvenience of getting the work approved.

·
Preema
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I never had that issue on my 2012 GT. However with my GT being out of warranty, I'd probably get back in shape and start pushing it downhill to start it in second gear! 😂

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
When it spins free that many times don't hold the stater button for that length of time. Do a double tap till you hear a clunk it'll start on the next try. Mine acts up like that on cold mornings.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Best get the bike back to the dealer Donna - get it fixed before the starter sprag clutch lets you down at the most inconvenient moment (sod's law).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 K1600GTL that I bought used in the spring of 2014 with 1100 miles. Shortly after getting it I would have on occasion get the starter is running but its not engaging to start the engine. The weather warmed up and the battery died and I replaced it and the problem with the starter went away. I happened to be one that had the bad switches and on a tub run the starter button failed and I ended up having to get someone to trailer it home and then to a BMW dealer who replaced all the handle bar switches under a Service Bulletin. I have yet to replace the Starter Drive and have debated on if I do spend the $550 plus for the drive along with the 4hrs plus shop rate to change it, is it really going to correct it or is it going to happen again? Because it seems to me that this is a on going issue with even much later model years than the one that I have. I have put 30000 miles on it with this going on from time to time. I have found that it seems to act up more often when its below 40 degrees F and when it has set for awhile. This year has been the worst because I'm over due on an oil change and because of the virus thing I just only ride to work and back, no weekend rides with my wife. There really isn't anywhere we feel comfortable going to so the miles are much less and sit time is much longer. When it dose happens I have found that if I bump the starter a few time it will catch but them some times I have to let it spin up for a while then it will catch. Once it starts I will do a few starts and stops cycling the starter followed with a some high rpm shifts and it seems to work just fine for awhile. Years ago I was stationed in Germany and I had a German who told me that we (Americans from the USA) short shift to much and that the German vehicles need to run and run hard for them to work right. I'm planning on having the valves checked and replacing the spark plugs this winter. Because the radiator needs to be removed to check the valves and sparkplugs a coolant change will be done along with oil and filter change. If I add the cost for the starter generator gear drive replacement of around $1200 to the other service of lets say $1400 I'm looking at $2800. I would do it if I was sure that it would fix the problem but it seems that from all the forum post on this starting problem I'm not all that convinced that its going to fix it. So I think I will just live with it as a strange German quirk. I do have a truck and a trailer that I have used to haul it. I will use that as my back up plan for the time it just really won't start.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since the tranny recall mine does the exact same thing. Almost without exception it starts on the second attempt and I've never been stranded. I'll be bringing the bike to the dealership in just a few days and will get them to fix this problem.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of never getting my beasts on for the recall
Since the tranny recall mine does the exact same thing. Almost without exception it starts on the second attempt and I've never been stranded. I'll be bringing the bike to the dealership in just a few days and will get them to fix this problem.
I haven't taken either of my beasts for the recall and this makes me think I should just wait until trade in. Where do you stand on warranty for a starter issue? So annoying to have to run down the road to start it. Would be easier if you can fold up the peddles:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2019 GT Sport has the same issue, engaging first gear and rocking backwards and forwards clears the problem. Dealer is currently waiting for warranty parts from the Der Bunker to rectify the fault.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
"Donna";

I had the exact same anomaly attack my 2018 K1600 GTL with approximately 20K miles. The sprag clutch was replaced; nothing. replaced battery; nothing, went to a revised starting procedure in waiting until all gauges settled down; nothing. Ultimately, the service staff measured the starter assembly countershaft gears and found a worn gear (this is what I was told). This resulted in the entire starter assembly being replaced (I read from service order). The starter, associated axle, double wheel and plug were all replaced (reading from repair order) under warranty. I have had the bike back for three weeks and all seems well. The bottom line (in my opinion) is that the sprag is the most common cause for the problem you describe, however, it is not the only component that can fail causing the issue you describe.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I’ve had the same thing happen to me a couple of times on a morning cold start.
Last week during a visit to my Dealer (MAX BMW), to see the new 2021 models, I asked the Service Mgr. if they’ve had complaints from customers about it. He said he’s only had a couple of inquiries but no failures related to the starter sprag clutch. He said the starter clutch design is oil driven so when the oil is very cold, like on a cold morning start, the clutch could fail to engage the first time. He said BMW is aware of it.
He claims that for BMW fix it under warranty, either the Owner will have to verify the issue with a video of the failure to start, or the Dealer will have to keep the bike for as long as it takes for them to video the starter failure. BMW won’t warranty an intermittent starter failure without confirmation of the failure by the Dealer. The confirmation has to be submitted with the claim, and it will probably take quite a while before they approve it. I also asked him it the replacement parts were redesigned to prevent the issue, and he didn’t know, but assumes probably not since it’s not a common problem, at least not yet.
Since it’s only happened to me a couple of times, I’ll wait to see if it gets worse. No point in getting a warranty repair for the same part design unless I have no other choice.

·
Registered
773 Posts
He claims that for BMW fix it under warranty, either the Owner will have to verify the issue with a video of the failure to start, or the Dealer will have to keep the bike for as long as it takes for them to video the starter failure. BMW won’t warranty an intermittent starter failure without confirmation of the failure by the Dealer. The confirmation has to be submitted with the claim, and it will probably take quite a while before they approve it.
For clarification, it depends on your relationship with the dealer. I sent an e-mail to the Service Manager describing the problem. Since I didn't have my own video, I attached a YouTube that exactly showed the issue. He e-mailed me back, indicated that he went ahead and ordered the part, and set up an appointment for a week later. He installed the new starter clutch under warranty, and it hasn't acted up since.

Since it was an intermittent problem, there was no way I was I was going to leave the bike with them forever. And I wasn't going to accept being stranded because the starter would finally fail. Obviously various dealers handle the situation different, but it doesn't have to be as draconian as you described.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts