BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
For clarification, it depends on your relationship with the dealer. I sent an e-mail to the Service Manager describing the problem. Since I didn't have my own video, I attached a YouTube that exactly showed the issue. He e-mailed me back, indicated that he went ahead and ordered the part, and set up an appointment for a week later. He installed the new starter clutch under warranty, and it hasn't acted up since.

Since it was an intermittent problem, there was no way I was I was going to leave the bike with them forever. And I wasn't going to accept being stranded because the starter would finally fail. Obviously various dealers handle the situation different, but it doesn't have to be as draconian as you described.
Exactly. Since I used the same dealership it was quite simple and the various nuances are as @JohnS1955 described. Not only your relationship with the dealer but the dealers relationship with BMW corporate. The service manager knows the proper speak to the mothership to get the work done or not. The service manager we used was all about the customer and he and his crew all had many years at the same location. Some things are complicated, this fix should not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
@Thomas thanks for jumping in. I knew you had a good experience resolving the same problem, but didn’t want to be presumptuous and speak on your behalf.

if I had got the song-and-dance described by the previous poster, I’d never visit that dealer again. It’s nuts...

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
@Thomas thanks for jumping in. I knew you had a good experience resolving the same problem, but didn’t want to be presumptuous and speak on your behalf.

if I had got the song-and-dance described by the previous poster, I’d never visit that dealer again. It’s nuts...
100%. Unfortunate other forum members are getting the run around on this issue. It’s been a well known problem for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bubonic
1,069 Posts
it has been happening to me more frequently over the past two months too

·
Preema
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks guys... so far, every time I’ve had the iPhone ready to video the fault the bike starts perfectly. I’ll talk to the dealership but, unless I can show them anything. Perhaps it’ll be good from here on 🤞

Reactions: scojoe

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks guys... so far, every time I’ve had the iPhone ready to video the fault the bike starts perfectly. I’ll talk to the dealership but, unless I can show them anything. Perhaps it’ll be good from here on 🤞
Honestly, I'd be offended if the dealer were to basically say they didn't believe me. Having to have a camera ready every time you push the starter button is ridiculous. It's the kind of problem that can hibernate for weeks or months before it rears it's ugly head again. It's not something that should be in your mindset every time you fire up the bike.

Good luck hoping it just goes away moving forward. The starter clutch malfunction is a lot like the ongoing effects of old age in people. I never gets better.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts