BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might consider trying the K1600B...I got to test ride one for a couple hours during my recent service appointment (K1600GTL). I really like the 1600B...a lot. I was surprised how much I like it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You might consider trying the K1600B...I got to test ride one for a couple hours during my recent service appointment (K1600GTL). I really like the 1600B...a lot. I was surprised how much I like it.
I'm 72 and just not ready for the hit on handling in twistys to be taken with the B. Soooo happy with my GTL, Wilbers, laser jammer and radar : )

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I am 63 and rode 23K miles on KBiK, my 2015 K1600GTS, this year. Must be growing old as in 2017 I rode 28K miles.

Forget about the numbers and just ride.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cool I feel young again at 51. Hope I can ride even more aggressive then I do now ten or 15 years down the road. One can dream right? You guys are awesome, keep getting after it! :)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
age is just in the mind. I have friends I ride with who ride like they stoled their bikes and they are mostly in their 70's. Wait a minute, I'm going on 72. Riding helps to keep one focused, alert, an agile. I asked my wife two years ago if I should get a new boat or a new motorcycle. She said probably get a new bike while you can still get your leg over it. My next pair of boots will have elevated soles. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Men (I think I read all men), I am in the same club at 58; but I see this as a bad thing. We are, it seems, the end of an era. I would feel better if there were a whole bunch of people aged 40's and 30's among us.

There will be a steadily increasing supply of used motorcycles in the years to come.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hope I’m still riding at 71 or so. You guys are inspirational and God willing I can post the same in twenty years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Men (I think I read all men), I am in the same club at 58; but I see this as a bad thing. We are, it seems, the end of an era. I would feel better if there were a whole bunch of people aged 40's and 30's among us.

There will be a steadily increasing supply of used motorcycles in the years to come.
You may be right based on the decline in motorcycle riders, especially the younger crowd.......

That said, the high-end long distance touring/Sport-touring market has mainly been an "old man's" sport due to the high price of the toys......
Not many younger folks with families, huge debt, and trying to invest in a 401K can afford such a toy.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Thank you kind sir.

The roads in the Lake District can be challenging. The guy who did the overtake did get a reprimand and I put it in the video to remind him.

One of the guys I was following at the end (Steven) is an ex road racer. Search youtube for the Tandragee 100, I live 5 miles from this.

Steven gave up road racing (thankfully) after he got the nick name "Cartwheel"

David
David,
I wish I could live 5 miles from you. Wow.
Not too keen on earning any nicknames from you though. :surprise:
I've never done a cartwheel without a bike; would hate to do one on a bike.
Watched a few of the MANY videos of the T100. Does one in particular show Steven doing the cartwheel? How old was he when this happened.
Best.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
You may be right based on the decline in motorcycle riders, especially the younger crowd.......

That said, the high-end long distance touring/Sport-touring market has mainly been an "old man's" sport due to the high price of the toys......
Not many younger folks with families, huge debt, and trying to invest in a 401K can afford such a toy.
I concur.

Funny though; in the 70's, I do not recall a whole bunch of "old guys" riding big bikes built decades before. I recall other bikers who looked like me, not my father. Now, fast-forward four decades, the same riders of the 70's are still at it today.

My point it this; is it possible that all of the would-be bikers who want to ride large, fast, powerful bikes are all already alive and riding? Were we an era which has past? Is it a bit like the barn-stormers of the 30's and 40's; great, but past?

I agree with this too because I struggled myself raising four kids on one salary. I can say that what we prioritized financially in our time (house, kids, etc) is not what our children would agree to. Millennials are different to us, just as we (pot-smoking hippies) are different culturally that our parents. ****, we were radical compared to (at least) my kids and their friends. I gave my father fits on occasion; my Sons and Daughters are benign by comparison.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One of the reasons I sign on to any forum is to get perspective of like minded people (young or older than me). I feel rejuvenated after seeing ages like 79 and still getting their leg over! I'm 68 and struggled with the thought of buying a new bike...mainly cost. Will I be able to pay off the darn thing? Came to the conclusion..ya only go round once, might as well enjoy it!

So to all that are here and still getting down the road on two wheels...I salute you! May our paths have the fortune of passing one day.

Thanks for all your experiences and travels. I enjoy hearing and seeing them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm 63 and like many here have been biking since I was 17 (in the UK at that time). I actually hated motorcycles growing up because of the noise they made. But a friend had a CD175 which was very quiet and persuaded me to get a motorcycle.

I found a Honda 125 for sale in the local paper and the guy brought it round to our house on a trailer. My mum and dad stepped out to see the bike (my dad wanted to give his approval) and the owner asked if I wanted to give it a try. I could not ride yet so had to decline. My dad didn't want to try it even though he had had motorcycles for most of his younger life. To my surprise, my mum offered to take it out (she commuted to work on a Honda 50). I wasn't so sure but she hopped on and took it around the block! I bought it for £50 and, as they say, the rest is history. I even took her on the back when she visited us in the US in 1990.

Both parents have now passed but among some photos that we inherited, I see that I was an even earlier 'rider' possibly around 2 years old!

Me on my dad's Triumph.

Cheers,

Derek

Attachments

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
A few years ago a friend of mine, 77 was riding and had a heart attack on the bike. Paramedics said it was massive
probably died before he hit the ground. What a way to go. I'm 71 and going strong.

·
Registered
557 Posts
David,
I wish I could live 5 miles from you. Wow.
Not too keen on earning any nicknames from you though. :surprise:
I've never done a cartwheel without a bike; would hate to do one on a bike.
Watched a few of the MANY videos of the T100. Does one in particular show Steven doing the cartwheel? How old was he when this happened.
Best.
Hi Daryl, I don't know if there are any videos of Steven "Doing the business", just know he retired now. When I followed him around the Lake District he was on his race bike and had his race leathers on. Think he has upgrade now to a Kawasaki tourer, can't remember which one.

I went to the bike show at the NEC, Birmingham yesterday and was in the company of Philip McCallan (pic below). He was just an ordinary guy visiting the show, we flew Easyjet and he had some meetings with his suppliers, Triumph, Kawasaki, Ducati etc. You should look him up on Google, he is joint 7th on the All Time Leaders list of the Isle of Man TT. My mate who took the photo, does enduro biking with McCallan at the weekend.

These road racers are just ordinary guys (with extraordinary talent and guts) who just go about their day to day life.

This is a wee video of Philip in 1993 at the Isle of Mann TT

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts