BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm considering making the switch from mother Honda to Bavaria. I've got a 2013 Goldwing F6B and always ride 2 up. I went with the B for the ergonomics and comfort. The Full wing seat just isn't comfortable for me. At 6'2 and close enough to 300lbs that it makes no difference, I need alot of room. However, I still like to push it in the bends and live a stone's throw from the Dragon and like to visit at least annually.

I've checked out the new Goldwing and it is too small and not nearly as comfortable. Less fuel capacity and storage make it a non-option. I've been checking out the 18+ Grand America and think it might be a good option. I'd like to get some cornering ability, due to dragging the pegs off of the F6B. I'd also like some of the creature comforts that the B is lacking.

All that said, anything I should know before I drop nearly 30k? Thank you inadvance from Tennessee!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hello all. I'm considering making the switch from mother Honda to Bavaria. I've got a 2013 Goldwing F6B and always ride 2 up. I went with the B for the ergonomics and comfort. The Full wing seat just isn't comfortable for me. At 6'2 and close enough to 300lbs that it makes no difference, I need alot of room. However, I still like to push it in the bends and live a stone's throw from the Dragon and like to visit at least annually.

I've checked out the new Goldwing and it is too small and not nearly as comfortable. Less fuel capacity and storage make it a non-option. I've been checking out the 18+ Grand America and think it might be a good option. I'd like to get some cornering ability, due to dragging the pegs off of the F6B. I'd also like some of the creature comforts that the B is lacking.

All that said, anything I should know before I drop nearly 30k? Thank you inadvance from Tennessee!
I'm in East Tennessee also, a stones throw away from the Dragon....I just bought a 2018 GTL, waiting in the transmission recall to be done on it before I go get. From all my reading and the test ride I took on 2016 GT, you would NOT regret buying a K1600, super smooth, braking is incredible and has all the 21st century technology you'll need to ride in comfort.
I'd say go for it!!

P.S. I'm in Lenoir City, where are you?

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
If I were to compare, I would ask if you prefer a minivan or a balls-out, OMFG acceleration and handling...apples and oranges. The K1600 is a beast meant to be ridden on its edge. This is where it shines. At sub-warp speeds, it is as good as a Honda and 4x better than a Harley. On an inside serpentine at 45 degrees, you will appreciate the K much more IMHO.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
While the GA is a nice bike you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not test riding the GT and GTL before you buy.
Exactly. If you're going to test one, test them all.

The downside is, if the $30k you're going to drop, is dropped on an recalled model, you can't take delivery until it's fixed.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The B is the best girls bike I've ever owned>:) Not sure what creature comforts the B fails to provide, Zimmer frame, Haemorrhoid ring, denture holder perhaps but mine has all I need.

Seriously though, its a close run between the two but the B just handles better, is faster, more manoeuvrable and just looks heaps better. Take it for a good ride, Twisties, hills, etc and you'll be sold :smile:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Whichever you choose to buy .......haggle/negotiate hard as the K Series has a cloud over it just now. As much as I don’t want to devalue my forthcoming bike, or any others, the reality is ........it’s a good time financially to buy a “K”.

Enjoy whichever you choose, they are all fine models in their own playground.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
They’re K bikes, as in ~$25K...so with that level of investment it’s best to test ride them all. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Yea, don't do it, buy used and safe about 1/2 of that $30K. A low mileage '16 is in the $15K range...

Duane

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Yea, don't do it, buy used and safe about 1/2 of that $30K. A low mileage '16 is in the $15K range...

Duane
Yes! I really liked the looks of the '19 GT but was able to pick up a low-mileage '18 with a Nav 6 and extended warranty for close to $9,000 below the cost of the '19. I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As others have said, if you are looking for true performance, the K1600 wins, hands down. Better acceleration, better handling except at the extremely slow speeds. This is compared to either the 01-17 Wing or the new post 2017 Wing. Depending on how much the comfort of your better half weighs into the decision, she may not be as happy with the pillion, as with the Goldwing. My wife is pretty particular. She likes the pillion on our '04 Wing but found she actually likes the '18 better. She is not at all happy with the GTL-E. She says the pillion seat is sloped, so she has to continuously push back to keep from sliding forward. She also thinks the passenger backrest on the topcase, doesn't feel stable. I can attest, it does bounce and at times, looks like it may fall. I have checked and it is indeed fastened properly. I have not ridden nor followed a GA so, these situations may be entirely different.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
As others have said, if you are looking for true performance, the K1600 wins, hands down. Better acceleration, better handling except at the extremely slow speeds. This is compared to either the 01-17 Wing or the new post 2017 Wing. Depending on how much the comfort of your better half weighs into the decision, she may not be as happy with the pillion, as with the Goldwing. My wife is pretty particular. She likes the pillion on our '04 Wing but found she actually likes the '18 better. She is not at all happy with the GTL-E. She says the pillion seat is sloped, so she has to continuously push back to keep from sliding forward. She also thinks the passenger backrest on the topcase, doesn't feel stable. I can attest, it does bounce and at times, looks like it may fall. I have checked and it is indeed fastened properly. I have not ridden nor followed a GA so, these situations may be entirely different.
Triboseat, super cheap and she who slaps helmets no longer complains about the pillion seat.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
The K1600 is a bike with a few quirks. It's good points easily out weight its quirks though. I would have bought new, but I bought used with VERY low mileage, saving me $5000. Over 5 riding seasons, I've put 75,000 mi. on the 2012 GTL and I'm looking forward to my first summer without a loan payment...riding free and clear and looking at 80,000 mi. this coming riding season. All my riding is solo though, so do as many test rides as it takes with your signif. other to make sure it works for both of you; this will be key to you enjoying this bike long-term.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Triboseat, super cheap and she who slaps helmets no longer complains about the pillion seat.
I've been using and recommending the Tribo seat cover for about 5 years. Before the Tribo my wife constantly slid around; after? Happy wife, happy life!

Duane

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I mirror what most have said, you'll need to bring the wife and ride em all. I did exactly that and found that the GT was the bike for me. So much fun in the twisties and with a RDL seat, it'll cruise the highway all day long comfortably. I bought a used 2014 with 250 miles in 2016 and saved almost 10k. There's no need to buy new when there's used ones out there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts