BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination or do the stock tires just SUCK?

I was out today practicing my social distancing in let's say a "spirited" manner. In this spirited manner, I found the tires breaking loose in some corners and not gripping to the point that I had to get out of the throttle and brake.

Also, on one stretch of road, I come upon tar snakes, these ties would slip like on ICE. Is this due to the tires being crappy? Is it because, I'm used to riding a 900 pound Victory Vision?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
My stock were metzeler, and I did not have a problem with traction. What I did have a problem with was the ‘tread today, gone tomorrow‘ issue. I mean literally.

The positive side that came out of that, is my SO is constantly thinking I need new tires. :)

And admittedly, she’s been correct a time or two, as I tend to try and stretch the mileage.

It goes something like this...after coming in from the garage...’Honey do you need new tires? The treads looking a little thin’...me: ‘oh no, not until the end of summer.’ Me two days later...’honey, I need new tires.’

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just went out to the Man Cave to see what tires I have,....They are Bridgestone Battlax.....All I can say is for a day with temps in the low 70's these tires SUCK! They broke loose way to easy for what I consider for the GTL. Even being new to me, I would expect any tire to hold better than these did!!
I loved Avon Cobras on my Vision but would only get 5K miles out of them. I switched to Bridgetsone Excedras and have had good luck with mileage and grip with them but again, that's for a 900 pound bike...
What's a good replacement tire for pushing the GTL and good rain grip?

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's funny this comes up today. I took my B (stock Bridgestone, 3k miles) out yesterday and finally got on some roads that I could push it a little and it was not a comfortable feeling at times. I know the B handles much better than my old HD, but that Road Glide was stuck to the road (Avon Venoms 180/55/18 front/rear) this bike is all over the place.

Going to be doing some research on tires. I know there are probably hundreds of threads on here.

Zach

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well you have far more power than that cruiser you had plus far more lean angle. Hard to say if you really are slipping the tire or not. The computer should step in if the tire is really slipping and you will see a symbol on the dash. I can slide the bike but in usually do it coming very hard on throttle put of a tight corner. Also bc of the power difference, if you ride hard you will get far less than 5k miles on a rear tire.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you have far more power than that cruiser you had plus far more lean angle. Hard to say if you really are slipping the tire or not. The computer should step in if the tire is really slipping and you will see a symbol on the dash. I can slide the bike but in usually do it coming very hard on throttle put of a tight corner. Also bc of the power difference, if you ride hard you will get far less than 5k miles on a rear tire.
@Scotty My cruiser had a few mods and at the rear wheel turned 119 HP and 119 tq/ft. The Torque is comparable to the GTL. When I'm riding hard, I'm not looking at the dash for an idiot light. I'm looking through the curve looking for my exit. The lean angle of the Victory Vision is very close, if not the same of the GTL, if I remember right the Vision has 42 1/2 degree lean angle. I scrape the floorboards frequently on the Vision and so far, on the GTL I find I'm scraping my foot and the pegs in some of the corners.

I know tire slip, when the rear end breaks loose or the front end slides it is a tire issue. When I hit those tar snakes yesterday the front end was like on ice. Rolling out of the corners the back end would break loose and moved in the lane, as if it were in the rain.

I'll try a different set of tires based on further research since my original post.

·
Registered
365 Posts
@Scotty My cruiser had a few mods and at the rear wheel turned 119 HP and 119 tq/ft. The Torque is comparable to the GTL. When I'm riding hard, I'm not looking at the dash for an idiot light. I'm looking through the curve looking for my exit. The lean angle of the Victory Vision is very close, if not the same of the GTL, if I remember right the Vision has 42 1/2 degree lean angle. I scrape the floorboards frequently on the Vision and so far, on the GTL I find I'm scraping my foot and the pegs in some of the corners.

I know tire slip, when the rear end breaks loose or the front end slides it is a tire issue. When I hit those tar snakes yesterday the front end was like on ice. Rolling out of the corners the back end would break loose and moved in the lane, as if it were in the rain.

I'll try a different set of tires based on further research since my original post.
thanks - didn’t know the vision had that much power at the rear wheel. Hmmm.
Btw I’m not staring at the dash in a curve but have seen the light pop on in my peripheral vision. Maybe I have good peripheral vision? It’s a quick flash so easy to miss. I’m just suggesting that the light would be confirmation of tire slip. Also - have you played with tire pressure to see if it helps?
And tar snakes - I hate em. Thanks god they don’t used them much where I live. I’ve had many a scare with hyper sport bikes and those tar snakes.

Btw I was curious and read over on the Vision forum that their lean angle is only 33 degrees.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks - didn’t know the vision had that much power at the rear wheel. Hmmm.
Btw I’m not staring at the dash in a curve but have seen the light pop on in my peripheral vision. Maybe I have good peripheral vision? It’s a quick flash so easy to miss. I’m just suggesting that the light would be confirmation of tire slip. Also - have you played with tire pressure to see if it helps?
And tar snakes - I hate em. Thanks god they don’t used them much where I live. I’ve had many a scare with hyper sport bikes and those tar snakes.

Btw I was curious and read over on the Vision forum that their lean angle is only 33 degrees.
@Scotty I stand corrected, I could have sworn it was 41 or 42 degrees, it is 33 degrees...
Yep, with the addition of cams, top neck air filter, and a good Maximus tune the Vision makes that kind of power. Having just gotten the bike 3 weeks ago, I'm still learning all the goodies and agreed with good peripheral vision most things can be seen on the dash. Just not aware what I'm seeing in that momentary "flash" I'll try to watch for it when out concrete surfing next time!

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
I've had a lot of tires on my GT. A lot. The Michelin sidewalls are too soft for spirited riding. The Bridgestones are crap all the way around. They slip in the wet and dry. Also they square off faster than any tire I've used. The Metzeler Z8's would give me large slips and almost went down because of it. Also no idea how much tire is left before the cords show. The Metzeler 01 front is made in China. The Pirelli Angle GT is a good tire. It's quarks are little slips now and then and the front wore out way faster than the rear. The best tire is the Dunlop Roadsmart III. It's quark is it feels a bit light in the front for the first few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had a lot of tires on my GT. A lot. The Michelin sidewalls are too soft for spirited riding. The Bridgestones are crap all the way around. They slip in the wet and dry. Also they square off faster than any tire I've used. The Metzeler Z8's would give me large slips and almost went down because of it. Also no idea how much tire is left before the cords show. The Metzeler 01 front is made in China. The Pirelli Angle GT is a good tire. It's quarks are little slips now and then and the front wore out way faster than the rear. The best tire is the Dunlop Roadsmart III. It's quark is it feels a bit light in the front for the first few hundred miles.
Thanks @Rick92040 great information...

Last night, I was comparing the Dunlop RoadSmart III to the Michelin GT. Glad to hear first hand the characteristics of each tire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
tar snakes will get you regardless of your tire once they warm up. I'm happy with pr4's for the back but for some reason the fronts cup really early so I ended up with angel gt's on the front and pr4 on the back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't like the stock bridgestones and put on michelin road 5 gt a few weeks and 500 miles ago when they did my tranmission recall work. They are a major upgrade, and I am very happy with them after the first 500 miles.

The 500 miles includes mutiple trips down 17 to Santa Cruz (up and over the mountains with plenty of opportunity to lean the bike over), back up US1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay and also La Honda (which is a tight road a lot of sports bikes usually run on).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always found the Battleax to be a decent tire in AZ. Haven't spent lots of time on them in the cold or wet. I couldn't really comment on them in those conditions. I've run them on the ST1300, Goldwing, Goldwing F6B, Ultra Limited, and now the K1600. After reading this thread you've got me a bit nervous:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts