BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Isn't the passenger peg mount incorporated into the frame and not an individual piece? I do not have experience with the bike so I am just looking at pictures.
To the extent there is something wrong with where the foot pegs mount to the bike, the foot pegs attach to a replaceable "Footrest Plate" that is bolted to the frame. This footrest plate differs between the models to accommodate different riding positions. Of course, we are all speculating on what the problem is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m not 100% certain on mounting of the passenger pegs myself (Harleys most of my life). I’m going off what GM at dealership told me. Has to do with angle of the bracket. In my case since I had already secured financing/deposit/trade that the deal prices would hold once stop sale was lifted so it could be a case by case basis. As far as time frame, I got 2 answers from 2 dealers. One was couple weeks and other was “we were told to pull our bikes off the floor and that’s it, no word on how long for a fix”

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am in the very same position, deposit, financing and using Easy Ride financing which has an amazing incentive at the moment along with the BMW $1600 and USAA $750 discounts. Before taxes and very small dealer processing only I had a great deal on a 2020 Grand America so I really dont want to lose that price. BUT, my dealer could not guarantee BMW would extend the discounts past 03/31. He did say that it was an angle issue, like 3 degrees...really? Anyway hoped it would only be 3-4 weeks and we are 1 week in now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like you and I were about to ride away on the same day!!!! It’s my luck, otherwise I’d be more upset about it. I look at it this way, they can’t keep them forever, and my wife would kill me if I bought a GS and made her sit against that straight metal box. 20 years in AF taught me to hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I just talked to my dealer because my 2018 GTL is in for replacement of a leaking front shock. And he told me the recall for the passenger footpeg also includes 2018, 2019, and 2020 K1600’s. I can’t believe it, I’ve never had so many recalls and problems with any new motorcycles in my 40+ years of ownership!
So far they don’t know anything. But I hope that I can still use the passenger floorboards for my wife?
At least it’s not a stop ride situation. Time will tell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its an issue with the peg angle and it is a very small numer, 3-5 degrees I believe. I asked if the passenger pegs could just be removed so I could complete the purchase and was given a no....I intend on adding boards anyway but I am sure legalities and liabilities are the deciding factors...I have no idea how its going to be rectified. Speculation is a new mount and not peg but who knows. Very frustrating when I was less than a week from delivery.

It would be nice if BMW communicated its direction on this and gave a reasonable time-line with the solution. To just leave customers in limbo is ridiculous for a peg angle, I understand the safety aspect of the transmission stop sale but a passenger peg??????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am in a similar situation. I was about to purchase. I am not going to touch it though until there is a hard resolution date. I heard they told dealers 4 weeks. BMW in the past has not established they could move this fast on a stop sale issue.

I wonder how they are compensating dealers when you consider the r1250 series and S1000Rr are on stop sale because of the Hayes brake recall. This has also effectively stopped the rollout of the redesigned RT at least in the US. Now the KBike line is in stop sale because of the foot peg issue. This has to hurt local dealers. It’s prime sales time in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Talked with my dealer yesterday. Was going to drop off my 2016 K1600GTL there for a consignment sale because I only put ~1000 miles a year on it (6k total now). He said all years were affected and it was for the pass peg angle (never heard of such a thing causing a recall).

He can't sell any of their product or mine if I brought it down. Same goes for the 2 used units they already have. The estimate he had was the end of April/beginning of May for parts.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, I just had my 18 GT in for its 24k service on Saturday. I asked them to check for any recalls, he did right in front of me. Nothing outstanding for my bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Crazy timing, I just pulled both the footpegs off of my '18 GA to replace the rubber pads. After 30K miles they were starting to show some wear. Can't believe sales would be halted because of something so dumb.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, I just had my 18 GT in for its 24k service on Saturday. I asked them to check for any recalls, he did right in front of me. Nothing outstanding for my bike.
That is whats confusing me, they have no recall, nothing on NHTSA yet theres a stop sale. I called BMW Customer Service and they were clueless...all this makes me think twice but Ive gotten such a good deal and the dealer traveled to get my bike from another dealer so I feel obligated.

For all I care they could pull the passenger pegs and fix the issue at my 600 mile service. If the problem is that serious then why no recall?

·
Registered
366 Posts
That is whats confusing me, they have no recall, nothing on NHTSA yet theres a stop sale. I called BMW Customer Service and they were clueless...all this makes me think twice but Ive gotten such a good deal and the dealer traveled to get my bike from another dealer so I feel obligated.

For all I care they could pull the passenger pegs and fix the issue at my 600 mile service. If the problem is that serious then why no recall?
Yeah, it sounds like we just don’t have enough information at the moment. Frustrating I know when you’re ready to buy, I’d be upset too

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You have to remember there are different manner of recalls. Some are internal and some external. Some are actually called "recalls" and some are called "service advisories". If it's internal matter then you won't see it on NHTSA. I find this is extremely frustrating to come along at this point in time. We just got off a transmission recall that involved a stop sale order and now a foot peg issue. I hate to say it but with all this going on a no local dealership within 125 miles of me it's looking really bleak for continued for continued ownership for my GTL. Talk about another blow to the once proud reputation of owning a BMW motorcycle. It's almost as bad as owning a Hardly-Davidson now. If this stop sale order is true, then there must be a back story to it, like someone's foot slipped off a foot peg and probably got caught up with the road. Then my guess is that some nameless person in the legal field started looking at Federal Motor Vehicle specs to see if there was some inane factoid pertaining to foot peg angles and lo and behold one was found and BMW exceeded the spec making them negligent and liable. Now this is PURE SPECULATION on my part guys and girls so don't take it as gospel, but after all these years something unusual had to come up for this foot peg action to be taken. Perhaps some day the real story will come out but only if there isn't an undisclosed settlement that takes place coupled with a "gag" order.

Rick H.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Talked with my dealer yesterday. Was going to drop off my 2016 K1600GTL there for a consignment sale because I only put ~1000 miles a year on it (6k total now). He said all years were affected and it was for the pass peg angle (never heard of such a thing causing a recall).

He can't sell any of their product or mine if I brought it down. Same goes for the 2 used units they already have. The estimate he had was the end of April/beginning of May for parts.
That’s frustrating. I will have to think hard about my planned purchase now. I have a R1200Rt with zero issues that I was going to trade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What I find as odd, someone correct me if they have something else. Outside of this thread on this forum I can’t find anything about this issue on inter web. Not one mention of it, seems to be best kept secret out there, unless you are waiting to buy a new K1600 BMW. As someone said earlier, so secret even BMW CS didn’t know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
What I find as odd, someone correct me if they have something else. Outside of this thread on this forum I can’t find anything about this issue on inter web. Not one mention of it, seems to be best kept secret out there, unless you are waiting to buy a new K1600 BMW. As someone said earlier, so secret even BMW CS didn’t know.
I had three dealers tell me the exact same thing. Pandora’s GM called me and explained it in detail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am not understanding your post? Has the issue been explained to you? Thanks.
Replying after taking the vaccine and not double-checking my typing.
He actually went out and looked at the bike and really had no understanding of what the change was. It has been described as passenger foot peg angle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lol...yes thats the word and no definite time-frame on a resolution, just speculation. Severe lack of communication on BMWs part and as indicated there is ZERO information online. The way its being handled is suspect but I guess its their ball and playground.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts