BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
As someone new to the forum I want to say thanks to everyone who put forth information, parts breakdown, etc. I’ve gotten way more from here than I did when I was told I couldn’t buy my bike a couple weeks ago. I really appreciate it. Guess we wait, not much else to do. Not like I’m going back to riding HDs or anything, nothing will get that bad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Two plus weeks in and still no clue from anyone at BMW Customer Care as to what exactly the problem is and a time-frame for a solution. (Another phone call with no answers) A little communication goes a long way. 2 weeks ago it was 3-4 weeks and we are hearing the same 3-4 week answer 2 weeks later. The transmission was a recall and safety related so understandable, a passenger peg that can just be removed until the solution is provided is ridiculous. Weighing the decision to purchase the K1600 at this point because of a corporations lack of communication to its customers. Maybe I just expect too much.

Edit.....
I had a lengthy conversation with a BMW dealer who said this is yet another frivolous stop sale perpetuated by the US Government. He named other issues that were issues like reflector size etc which held up sales. Also advised he heard "rumors" that Germany is about to stop production again which will be a detriment to availability of 2021 models. I guess Covid continues to slap us in the face...I suppose I will just find patience and wait until a fix is in for the horrible passenger peg angle. I really would like to have a Grand America.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Two plus weeks in and still no clue from anyone at BMW Customer Care as to what exactly the problem is and a time-frame for a solution. (Another phone call with no answers) A little communication goes a long way. 2 weeks ago it was 3-4 weeks and we are hearing the same 3-4 week answer 2 weeks later. The transmission was a recall and safety related so understandable, a passenger peg that can just be removed until the solution is provided is ridiculous. Weighing the decision to purchase the K1600 at this point because of a corporations lack of communication to its customers. Maybe I just expect too much.

Edit.....
I had a lengthy conversation with a BMW dealer who said this is yet another frivolous stop sale perpetuated by the US Government. He named other issues that were issues like reflector size etc which held up sales. Also advised he heard "rumors" that Germany is about to stop production again which will be a detriment to availability of 2021 models. I guess Covid continues to slap us in the face...I suppose I will just find patience and wait until a fix is in for the horrible passenger peg angle. I really would like to have a Grand America.
I was curious what the source was. The reflector size is written into code. I don’t see passenger peg location being a code issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was curious what the source was. The reflector size is written into code. I don’t see passenger peg location being a code issue.
Reminds me of when I was dealing with my counties' building inspectors and building code. During one of my many discussions of a "red tag" code issue that wasn't in the code the inspector pointed me in the direction of the final catch all section of code: "Nothing in the code prevents an inspector from a more stringent interpretation of the applicable code". :eek:

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Short version: don't have a date when the stop sale will end.......

I was at the local dealer yesterday looking at couple of k1600gtls on the showroom floor. As the discussion wandered, I asked if the bikes were on stop sale. He gave me a funny look and looked at his "sales" sheet and he ran off to talk with the sales manager/office. After he returned to confirm there are stop sales on those (and other) bikes he shared in some of his observations on the matter. From what I gleaned from his explanation is before COVID pandemic, dealerships/shops could get ship and shipping container info as to where bikes/parts were in the shipping process. Sometime after the start of the pandemic, shipping information stopped being provided. Complications with access to containers, shipping ports(New Jersey was mentioned) are adding to the unpredictability when parts arrive. Of course, parts shipping logistics are not important until a fix has been identified and repairs parts arrive from vendors....I offered to run over to Ace Hardware to grab some parts to fix the pegs but he didn't see the humor in that....:)

Maybe someone from the international shipping side of things can provide more insight...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Too many variables and as I stated before, a total lack of communication. We don't even have something official released by BMW identifying what the problem is. We have no information on the corrective measure. We have no verifiable time-frame for a resolution. What we do have is a lot of speculation and a choice of waiting for the issue to be resolved or moving on. Well supply and demand for motorcycles appear to be shifting into the manufacturers hands and the riding season is just getting here. Just take a look at Goldwings and their availability and pricing compared to this time last year. I spoke to a high volume discount dealer on a couple bikes and they are selling at retail with a wait list. I am just going to wait for the fix and accept things as they are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Took my F850GSA in for the run in service/check and asked my dealer if he had any more information. Short story was no. Seems to be an internal BMW directed item and they and many other dealers are not happy. As with those about to get their new bike they can’t sell them either. No one is happy. Unfortunately no specifics on what the heck the actual issue really is other than passenger peg related. They are expecting “parts’’ to rectify late April/early May but nothing concrete or exactly what is being replaced (or at least he wouldn’t say).

In my case I asked specifically if it was really all years ( I want to sell my 2016 K1600GTL through them to avoid the hassle) and he stated yes. That means that they couldn’t even sell mine for me due to “liability”.

I think I will just keep it for now unless I feel like dealing with the hassle of junk calls, no shows, joy riders, etc. We’ll see.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the update, the way it is being handled is what's so frustrating. Its not the issue itself but the top secret lack of information.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for the update, the way it is being handled is what's so frustrating. Its not the issue itself but the top secret lack of information.
I think it's so "top secret" even BMW doesn't know. I'm pretty sure they are also frustrated. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
I definitely have no issue with my dealer, whether they know more than they are saying I have no idea. They have been honest in telling me that they cannot give an exact time-frame and can only estimate. The only option based on what's been provided is that either the peg itself or the mount has to be changed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I honestly think that’s a BMW thing, they do it on the car side too. It’s sorta how we ended up with our Lexus. My SO doesn’t have a lot of patience for stuff like that, but don’t tell her I said that, lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone heard about another stop sale for the K1600? My local guy said it’s for the passenger foot pegs.

i bought one on friday was waiting on delivery and they called to notify me that they can't sell me the bike untill the repair is made.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When you were negotiating they did not tell you about the stop sale or did they not know? Neither scenario paints a good picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wasn’t able to buy mine over 2 weeks ago, so this has been out since March 17th if I’m not mistaken. I already had everything done and was suppose to pick up that Friday and got call Wednesday afternoon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I wasn’t able to buy mine over 2 weeks ago, so this has been out since March 17th if I’m not mistaken. I already had everything done and was suppose to pick up that Friday and got call Wednesday afternoon.
Have you heard any update ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually just asked a couple days ago, said they hadn’t heard anything. No idea on time frame, no word on possible fixes, nothing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just withdrew my offer and requested my deposit to be returned. I feel really bad for my dealer, they went above and beyond to make me happy.

If BMW would have communicated with their customers maybe I would have felt better about waiting. If you google BMW Motorcycle Stop Sale there will be zero results for this K1600 issue. My dealership spoke to a "rep" today and they could not provide any new details.

Ridiculous way to do business...just keep the customer in the dark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I just withdrew my offer and requested my deposit to be returned. I feel really bad for my dealer, they went above and beyond to make me happy.

If BMW would have communicated with their customers maybe I would have felt better about waiting. If you google BMW Motorcycle Stop Sale there will be zero results for this K1600 issue. My dealership spoke to a "rep" today and they could not provide any new details.

Ridiculous way to do business...just keep the customer in the dark.
So what are you going to do? By an Indian Challenger? I have been looking at those hard as well.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts