BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently upgraded the audio on my bike and need some advise on the best way to proceed. Here is my current set up and what I want to do. Any help is appreciated.

First off I understand the Sena BT audio is what a lot of us use. I have been doing that for years but I am getting freaken tired of listening to music and then the Nav VI comes on with high volume forcing me to make an emergency volume change and then a phone call comes in and the volume is low forcing again an emergency volume change. uugghhh. I actually think it has blown my helmet speakers.

2018 GTL
I have Iphone 8 and Sena paired with the Nav VI so I can get turn by turn directions in the helmet along with phone calls via the Nav. I have a thumb drive in the side pocket connected to the bike so I can get my music. I do not have satellite or listen to AM/FM. I listen to music through the bikes audio (thumb drive) and at time through the Nav VI via BT to Sena.

Here is what I want to do:
I want to keep the above the same but I also want to stream music from my IPhone 8 into the bikes audio system. If I go Tune2air I loose the thumb drive. Any way around that? being able to stream from my Iphone into the bikes audio and yet still keep the thumb drive connected?

Thanks!

Martin

·
Techmeister
1,469 Posts
You could avoid using the bike's bluetooth altogether and, instead, connect the iPhone to your headset. You can then connect either to the bike, or the iPhone. This would likely eliminate the audio volume problem.

You can shift the music to your iPhone too; avoiding the need for the thumb drive.

I do not use my bike's audio at all. I do not use the Garmin for audio, and I do not use Sirius. I do have about 64 Gb of music on my phone. And I have two smartphones (for different controls). The Garmin is my backup device. I carry maps too.

·
Jim's Brother
2,771 Posts
I routed an audio cable from the 3.5mm plug in the right compartment up to my handle bars and have my phone on an X grabber between the handlebars. I also have a USB power port installed up front with a short power cable going to my phone. Use the radio's source button to select Aux to listen to what's on your phone. I have an iPhone 5s so I can easily connect the 3.5mm cable to the phone. Not up on the newer phones that don't have the headphone plug but there's got to be a way to adapt, hopefully.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do make a cord that goes from the new iPhone female plug to a male 3.5mm audio plug KCMO Steve. That may be an option for me for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

Question, inside the right side box is my audio cables. One side us a USB and the other a 3.5mm. Can both of these be used independently? Right now my thumb drive is in the USB drive. If I run a cable from my phone to the 3.5mm jack will I have two independent sources for music? In other words, if I leave my thumb drive in then hook my cell up to the 3.5mm side can I alternate between the two?

Martin

·
Techmeister
1,469 Posts
When an audio cable is built together with a USB A connector, the USB is typically for power and control. On our K's, this adds control of audio tracks from the Wonder Wheel. If you use your USB stick in this manor, your iPhone will not have power (charging) and will not have WW integration (as I understand it).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok now here to try and see who may help w this one
New iPhone to large for compartment on the right
So I bought from bmw the required cable to connect the large iPhone that doesn’t fit
Then I bought a Bluetooth device that connect to the cable and connected my phone which is in my pocket to Bluetooth and music doesn’t play out of speakers
Hmmmmm says it’s connected via Bluetooth

·
Techmeister
1,469 Posts
Bluetooth devices work on "profiles" (audio gateway, control, etc). The "dongle" you have connected into the USB cable is not proper for this application as it doesn't have the profiles (even if it was connected correctly). Those dongles simply change a hard-wire audio stream into a A2DP stream to your phone. No control (stop, play next, etc).

@Genovese, you have options depending upon your final goals. If you want the benefit of WW control over your iPhone, and you are able to physically connect it (with adaptors if needed) Then place the phone in the bag (with velcro if necessary) . This will give you music control, but will not give you phone control.

If you want both music and phone control you have to connect your phone via Bluetooth to your Garmin (if fitted) or to your Bluetooth headset. Alternatively, you can buy a Bluetooth controller which mounts to your handlebars for control, but put the phone in the bags as stated before.

Net-net; either mount your phone in the bag, connect it via wire and ignore phone calls, or connect via Bluetooth to your Garmin (and lose stereo), or to a headset (like Sena).

OPINION: There is absolutely no value what-so-ever in using the onboard BMW audio. Those days are over. Bluetooth is the new audio mux. It is equally silly to mount speakers on a bike; the audio quality is awful and the wind is louder than the music. The only reason to blare music out of speakers today is that 1. you are over 50. 2. you are trying to impress everyone at the stop light that, though you are not riding a Harley dresser, you want to be. End opinion.

Rereading this, I sound harsher than I intended.

·
Jim's Brother
2,771 Posts
They do make a cord that goes from the new iPhone female plug to a male 3.5mm audio plug KCMO Steve. That may be an option for me for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

Question, inside the right side box is my audio cables. One side us a USB and the other a 3.5mm. Can both of these be used independently? Right now my thumb drive is in the USB drive. If I run a cable from my phone to the 3.5mm jack will I have two independent sources for music? In other words, if I leave my thumb drive in then hook my cell up to the 3.5mm side can I alternate between the two?

Martin
Yes, they can be used separately. Menu (Source) select USB for thumb drive and Aux for phone. This last riding season I finally connected my phone in this manor so I could have two sources and still have wonder wheel control (edit: only volume control) while being able to select at least 2 different sources and not have to rely on Sirius radio as one of my sources. I like listening to audio books on my thumb drive while eating miles up on the wide slabs but wanted to switch over to music once I got to the more technical/ scenic areas. After several years I finally canned the sirius radio subscription and now I use Spotify and load up a bunch of songs I can listen to off line while connected to my bike.

If you are thinking of something like this and don't have an X grabber yet, look into the quad lock system before making your choice. They do have ram ball mounts for the quad lock. Sorry for no links but just do a Google search and see what you think. I'm using a Lifeproof case on my phone so I'm not going to switch over to quad lock but it does look like a nice mounting system.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bluetooth devices work on "profiles" (audio gateway, control, etc). The "dongle" you have connected into the USB cable is not proper for this application as it doesn't have the profiles (even if it was connected correctly). Those dongles simply change a hard-wire audio stream into a A2DP stream to your phone. No control (stop, play next, etc).

@Genovese , you have options depending upon your final goals. If you want the benefit of WW control over your iPhone, and you are able to physically connect it (with adaptors if needed) Then place the phone in the bag (with velcro if necessary) . This will give you music control, but will not give you phone control.

If you want both music and phone control you have to connect your phone via Bluetooth to your Garmin (if fitted) or to your Bluetooth headset. Alternatively, you can buy a Bluetooth controller which mounts to your handlebars for control, but put the phone in the bags as stated before.

Net-net; either mount your phone in the bag, connect it via wire and ignore phone calls, or connect via Bluetooth to your Garmin (and lose stereo), or to a headset (like Sena).

OPINION: There is absolutely no value what-so-ever in using the onboard BMW audio. Those days are over. Bluetooth is the new audio mux. It is equally silly to mount speakers on a bike; the audio quality is awful and the wind is louder than the music. The only reason to blare music out of speakers today is that 1. you are over 50. 2. you are trying to impress everyone at the stop light that, though you are not riding a Harley dresser, you want to be. End opinion.

Riddle me this djfalkenstein, does this sound feasible and appropriate order?

1. Iphone paired to Sena for phone calls.
2. Nav VI paired to Sena for turn by turn directions.
3. Iphone paired to Tune2air in the glove box so I can stream music from my Iphone to the bikes audio?

Basically I am trying to see if I want to buy the Tune2air and am looking for answers so that I don't buy it only to determine it won't function the way I want.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations.

M

·
Techmeister
1,469 Posts
One and two are correct.

The reason three may not be is dependent on the iPhone; if it can accept more than one A2DP device connection; I think Senas can.

If you are riding in a group with other riders also connected via Bluetooth (specifically Sena mesh), you can broadcast your music to the others paired to you, but not to the bike (speakers). A newer bike (like my B or a GT[L]) does have a Bluetooth connection for A2DP from the iPhone.

There was a time when you needed a audio mux (multiplexer) such as a StarCom to easily make all of the audio devices connect, but that paradigm has changed. If you have a newer device with Bluetooth 4 or newer you have a mux built into the headset.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First off I understand the Sena BT audio is what a lot of us use. I have been doing that for years but I am getting freaken tired of listening to music and then the Nav VI comes on with high volume forcing me to make an emergency volume change and then a phone call comes in and the volume is low forcing again an emergency volume change. uugghhh. I actually think it has blown my helmet speakers.
I avoid the BMW bluetooth system entirely & have my SENA (SMH10) paired with my Nav 5 for directions and with my iPhone for calls & music.

I fought the same battle with volume control between the intercom (too quiet), the GPS (waaay too loud) and my phone/music (somewhere in-between) and spent much time trying to adjust the volume levels through the settings on each specific device. It turns out that my SENA has individual volume settings for each connected device, and they can each be adjusted, quickly and easily, using the jog dial.

The trick was - each one had to be adjusted WHILE it was in use. I had to adjust the intercom volume while talking, adjust the GPS volume when turn-by-turn directions were sounding, and adjust the phone/music volume while it was playing. Each of the individual volume settings are maintained when the SENA switches devices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts