BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ran into this issue.I owned a 2018 GTL and I changed riding mode to dynamic but do not like the backfire noise on de-accelerate. Tried moving back to road but mode will not change. I have tried when bike not moving and when riding. I don’t get why BMW programmed that burble sound into dynamic. I installed Rehmus cans on my GTL a few weeks ago and that noise is even more irritating now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmm never heard of that. I’d try disconnecting battery for a bit to see if it resets?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scotty. I will try that. What’s strange is that when setting rain or road it shows up on the screen but does not replace the dynamic word on top right screen above bike emblem.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Are you pulling in the clutch lever after scrolling to the desired mode?

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
No idea how to get it out of dynamic mode (pull the battery cable?)

The burble sound is not 'programmed in'. It is the byproduct of a high performance engine being run at its near optimal potential in combination with a free flowing exhaust. In any high performance engine it is difficult to optimize the size of the throttle body across such a wide range of throttle (airflow) requirements. (0-8000RPM). The throttle body delivers air, and there are going to be points in the air/fuel map which have the engine running slightly rich. One example of this is when you suddenly back off the throttle (decel) the throttle bodies closing faster than the fuel map is ready for so you end up with a greater fuel/air ratio and unburnt fuel outside of the combustion chamber. Couple this with hot exaust gases and the suddenly richer oxygen content at the end of the pipe and you get combustion induced fuel ignition. You can cure this by;

Don't use dynamic mode
Decrease the flow in the exhaust (adding more flow will make it worse as you experienced).
It can be tuned out with a different engine mapping but you will end up with other side effects

That burble, believe it or not, is a good thing, most high performance vehicles do this, watch a race sometime and you will see it happen when the car decelerates suddenly - typically setting up for a corner. It means that your engine is running on the right side of its fuel/air ratio for overall performance and its a small price to pay for maximum open throttle performance.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
To see the change from dynamic to rain or road, select the new mode while riding, then just back off the throttle and give it gas again, it should then flip...at least that is how I do it. I never bother with the clutch or anything else...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Using the shift assist, I get a bit of burble even in Road mode when downshifting and the engine braking pulls it up above 3500 or so. I like the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
To see the change from dynamic to rain or road, select the new mode while riding, then just back off the throttle and give it gas again, it should then flip...at least that is how I do it. I never bother with the clutch or anything else...
Select Mode, then pull clutch and selected mode will be activated. If you don’t pull the clutch display reverts back and mode stays on.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
No idea how to get it out of dynamic mode (pull the battery cable?)

The burble sound is not 'programmed in'. It is the byproduct of a high performance engine being run at its near optimal potential in combination with a free flowing exhaust. In any high performance engine it is difficult to optimize the size of the throttle body across such a wide range of throttle (airflow) requirements. (0-8000RPM). The throttle body delivers air, and there are going to be points in the air/fuel map which have the engine running slightly rich. One example of this is when you suddenly back off the throttle (decel) the throttle bodies closing faster than the fuel map is ready for so you end up with a greater fuel/air ratio and unburnt fuel outside of the combustion chamber. Couple this with hot exaust gases and the suddenly richer oxygen content at the end of the pipe and you get combustion induced fuel ignition. You can cure this by;

Don't use dynamic mode
Decrease the flow in the exhaust (adding more flow will make it worse as you experienced).
It can be tuned out with a different engine mapping but you will end up with other side effects

That burble, believe it or not, is a good thing, most high performance vehicles do this, watch a race sometime and you will see it happen when the car decelerates suddenly - typically setting up for a corner. It means that your engine is running on the right side of its fuel/air ratio for overall performance and its a small price to pay for maximum open throttle performance.
There is a pronounced difference between road and dynamic mode. In dynamic mode it has an accentuated synthetic backfire that BMW programmed in. Same thing in many cars by now. They just add a few drops of fuel to create this. The burble I like too and I agree fully with your explanation.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Select Mode, then pull clutch and selected mode will be activated. If you don’t pull the clutch display reverts back and mode stays on.
It's not the clutch, the engine mode only changes when the throttle is released. If CC is on, it maintains throttle so the mode won't change. I just blip the throttle (letting go of course) and it does fine.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
It's not the clutch, the engine mode only changes when the throttle is released. If CC is on, it maintains throttle so the mode won't change. I just blip the throttle (letting go of course) and it does fine.
Before you say it's not the clutch, try it. Select mode, pull clutch lever in with a slight delay in releasing it. Evidently, there's other ways of doing it but I've been using the clutch lever to activate the change in the mode I want since I've owned a K1600.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You could use the clutch to cancel CC too but I think it's a bad and potentially dangerous habit while riding. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
The clutch lever has 2 micro-switches with different trigger points. Among other things, the first one disengages CC and allows mode change. I disengage the CC with the clutch from day one and smooth out the transition with modulation the throttle. Good to have options.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Anyone know of a setting that may stop the mode change? Like maybe cruise control turned on or DTC turned off? I don't know of anything myself but I have never played with it either. I have always just selected, rolled out of the throttle a second, and boom, new mode. Come to think of it, DTC status may be worth checking even though its supposed to revert to default every time you turn the key off and back on again...

·
Registered
537 Posts
If cruise control is on, it won't switch to the newly selected mode. The selected DTC and ride mode should be retained when bike is shut down.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If cruise control is on, it won't switch to the newly selected mode. The selected DTC and ride mode should be retained when bike is shut down.
Yep. This is how mine behaves.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Are you sure you're not confusing the throttle/engine/ECU Dynamic mode with the ESA Dynamic mode on the dash. Just a thought.

On the dash, the engine is on the left and the ESA suspension is on the right.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's pretty confusing. The ride mode (Rain, Road, Dynamic) is throttle response and how soon the DTC (limits wheelies and drift) kicks in if the DTC isn't turned off, so the ride mode is what is retained when shut down - which is what I think the OP was talking about. If the DTC is turned off, it is turned back on (the default) whenever the bike is shut down and restarted. The DTC is modified to match the ride mode.

The D-ESA has damping and pre-load settings: Road and Dynamic (there's the confusing part, they use DYNAMIC for different things) control damping and the icons (one helmet, one helmet and suitcase, two helmets) set the pre-load. Those settings are retained after shut down.

At least, I hope that's right.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Changing the suspension mode from Dynamic to road works while riding, changing the preload only when stationary. Yes agreed, using dynamic for engine mode and suspension mode makes it a bit confusing. To obfuscate things a little bit more:
On the 2018 bike suspension mode will change to dynamic automatically when engine mode is switched to dynamic from any other mode. On pre- 2018 bikes it will not...............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts