BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all K1600GT owners. Please help.

7 months later I still absolutely love my 2012 machine. BUT, is it normal for the bike to stumble/surge so badly when rolling off the throttle? Between around 2500-3800rpm if you are partially off the throttle (for example going down a hill), I either need to be completely off the throttle or apply it again to smooth it out. It's annoying me so much it may be a deal breaker.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
It's normal for K1600. And I doubt the Bren tune will have any effect. That "stumble" is normal but it has nothing to do with the gear box. It's a "blip" in the fuel map, e.g. light throttle, 2500 rpm, no load.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can ride around it, but I shouldn't have to really. Such a shame on what is a fantastic motorcycle. I'd spend some money on tuning if I knew it would sort it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t have any stumble with my 2012.
I've posted this question on a variety of groups and I keep coming back to the same response... It's there, on all K16's. My guess it's probably more noticeable depending on your riding style. I like to use engine braking a fair amount and its seems whilst going down hill on partial throttle, I'll have to keep the revs higher than 2500rpms

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It's normal for K1600. And I doubt the Bren tune will have any effect. That "stumble" is normal but it has nothing to do with the gear box. It's a "blip" in the fuel map, e.g. light throttle, 2500 rpm, no load.
It will fix it. It fixed mine as I would have expected it to. In fact it was one of the primary reasons I got the Bren tune. Slow speed manors make for a much nicer bike to ride.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
@coyotek , if you say so. I've only experienced the "stumble" going downhill, 2500 rpm range, high gear/no load, trying to maintain same speed. Under those conditions the bike with 'buck'. I've never replicated the "stumble" in a parking lot or during any other riding condition.

Duane

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@coyotek , if you say so. I've only experienced the "stumble" going downhill, 2500 rpm range, high gear/no load, trying to maintain same speed. Under those conditions the bike with 'buck'. I've never replicated the "stumble" in a parking lot or during any other riding condition.

Duane
That's the exact scenario I noticed it the most.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's the exact scenario I noticed it the most.
Steve as Duane has said his happen at high gear and no-load so all you need to try is using your gearbox and change down to see how it works for you, I am sure that once you try it you will be a lot more happy with the bike and enjoy your riding a lot more. It seems to be in the rev range thus the need to use your gears more than you would normally. The motor has heaps of torque so maybe just a few rides and try to find the sweet spot that eliminates the issue, Good luck and please keep us posted on what if any of this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve as Duane has said his happen at high gear and no-load so all you need to try is using your gearbox and change down to see how it works for you, I am sure that once you try it you will be a lot more happy with the bike and enjoy your riding a lot more. It seems to be in the rev range thus the need to use your gears more than you would normally. The motor has heaps of torque so maybe just a few rides and try to find the sweet spot that eliminates the issue, Good luck and please keep us posted on what if any of this helps.
Hey Geoff cheers mate for your reply. I'm definitely trying and I think what I need to do is adjust my riding style slightly with this bike. It's frustrating since apart from this problem, the bike has superb throttle response and fuel injection.
Thanks for your thoughts, it's one of those things that I either get used to, or move on.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Assuming you have no codes showing, or maybe a failing coil stick, all I can suggest is that you check carefully the throttle cable adjustment & ensure it is smooth throughout it's range of movement. Cable too tight & the throttle hangs slightly; too loose & it's difficult to moderate other than on a smooth road surface (a rare occurrence here in the UK)

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
@squibb, check all you want but you won't find throttle cables on the K1600, fly-by-wire. As I've stated numerous times, this is a fuel mapping issue, I had with my '12 motor, I have it with my '16, I've experienced the same with every other K1600 I've ridden when looking for the stumble.

Duane

·
Registered
324 Posts
As I've stated numerous time this fuel mapping issue, I had with my '12 motor, I have it with my '16, I've experienced the same with every other K1600 I've ridden when looking for the stumble.
(my emphasis)

I always find it fascinating that different riding styles show up different "issues" with pretty much any bike. Presumably due to my particular riding style I've never really noticed the light throttle / light load surging, but based on what others have said I bet I could induce it now I know the particular operating parameters.

·
Registered
669 Posts
@squibb, check all you want but you won't find throttle cables on the K1600, fly-by-wire. As I've stated numerous times, this is a fuel mapping issue, I had with my '12 motor, I have it with my '16, I've experienced the same with every other K1600 I've ridden when looking for the stumble.

Duane
What am I thinking - got confused when coming off the Super 10 forum - apologies OP

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey Geoff cheers mate for your reply. I'm definitely trying and I think what I need to do is adjust my riding style slightly with this bike. It's frustrating since apart from this problem, the bike has superb throttle response and fuel injection.
Thanks for your thoughts, it's one of those things that I either get used to, or move on.
Welcome Steve, I know with my Indian I had some rough/flat spots with the generic tune and resolved that with a Power Vision and Dyno tune. I know the generic tunes are based on an average of x amount of bikes using the same fuel and octane, as it is the only way the manufacturers can sell the bikes that work for the majority of the customer base. I used a DynoJet Power Vision on the Roadmaster with a custom tune done on the dyno that smoothed the rough /flat spots out. I also know BMW Equivalent would be the Bren Tuning based in the USA that said its a USA based product and you need to have both local support and knowledge to be happy with the result you want to achieve. I also know that you can have the tuning done by sending your tune to Bren via email but you also need to be comfortable with doing that. I am not that great with computers so I will stick with my tune the way it is. If on the other hand, I had a local distributor and tuner that could put the effort into tuning the bike I would be willing to do that. Last of all Steve I have to say I am no expert by any stretch and people like Duane and Stephen V have far more knowledge and expertise than I do. Most of my logic comes from what I have experienced and done along with great forums that have the guys that know their stuff and willing to assist. Mate, I wish you well as these bikes are great bikes and it would be a shame if you could not resolve your problem with something simple and cheap. Please keep us informed on any progress or updates.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Assuming you have no codes showing, or maybe a failing coil stick, all I can suggest is that you check carefully the throttle cable adjustment & ensure it is smooth throughout it's range of movement. Cable too tight & the throttle hangs slightly; too loose & it's difficult to moderate other than on a smooth road surface (a rare occurrence here in the UK)
Um the bikes are fly by wire if I am correct, so no cables to the throttle. Not trying to be a smart ar....e.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for your comments, what a great bunch you are!

I've decided to take my bike to a local BMW dealer to ensure it's had all the software updates done, but also for one of the guys to test ride it and see if it's the bike (or me). While I'm there, I may see if I can test ride a similar K1600 for my own comparisons. I think this will draw the line whether it's just a characteristic of the machine, or it's doing something it shouldn't!

I'll keep you guys updated. But at the moment I can;t help but miss my old FJR for it's smooth throttle response when rolling off the power.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts