BMW K1600 Forum banner

Sturgis 2019 and beyond

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Rick92040 
#1 ·
Frenchy is heading to Midwest in the beginning of August

First to Sturgis for discovering the biggest motorcycle rally

Then yellow stone park , and then Taking my time to go to FL , gonna hit side roads and enjoy this big country

Guys ,give me some advices , is it safe Sturgis ? Or too much Harley’s related ? Are we welcome over there ? I mean metric bikes ?? :lol:

Used to long long hauls in Europe , after 8 hours you already passed 20 countries here’s you still in the same state !! Amazing !!!

If somebody wants to meet me on the road let me know I’ll pass by or we meet somewhere

Thanks for the advices

#2 ·
I've been to Sturgis 3 times and never on a Harley. The first 2 times on Honda Valkyries and then on my K1600. I never felt unsafe by not riding a Harley. In fact because I had a different brand they got a lot of curious attention. Do you have lodging reservations? If not about the only way you can wing it is to carry a tent. There are several places to camp such as conventional campsites and many churches and vacant lots will be set up to allow tent camping. For indoor lodging they will be booked up for maybe a 150 mile radius from Sturgis.

#3 ·
Same as Az Jim, I've been there, not on a Harley, no problems at all. You will see and do things you cannot see or do anywhere else in the world(I'll leave that to your own imagination, just sayin')
Rick

Reactions: pkpr1998
#4 ·
One more in this camp. I've been to Sturgis 3 times. Twice on my Harley prior to getting my 2013 GTL, and in 2015 on my GTL. I had the most fun when I went there on my GTL. Lots of interest from the Harley guys about the bike. I heard comments like "that thing is f'in cool" from many Harley riders. In fact one of my Harley riding buddies said "one of these days lots of us will be riding those things". Enjoy the madness. Everyone should experience that zoo at least once. However after three visits to the spectacle I'm Sturgised out.

#5 · (Edited)
I've been to Sturgis several times. Bike week there is for partying, not riding. That's why each time I've been I got there mid-week before the rally, did the traditional rides, and then hung around for a few days of Bike Week for copious amounts of libations and the people watching. The area around Rapid City, SD offers great riding. To truly enjoy it go before/after the rally. We went there after the Salt Lake City MOA Rally couple of years ago for 3 nights, it was GREAT!

Duane

Reactions: Gigi
#6 ·
I've been to Sturgis several times. Bike week there is for partying, not riding. That's why each time I've been I got there mid-week before the rally, did the traditional rides, and then hung around for a few days of Bike Week for copious amounts of libations and the people watching. The area around Rapid City, SD offers great riding. To truly enjoy it go before/after the rally. We went there after the Salt Lake City MOA Rally couple of years ago for 3 nights, it was GREAT!

Duane
Gunnert hit the bottom line for what to expect if you go.

The Black Hills area has some incredible roads to experience. I recently got back from a great week staying near Sturgis, riding over 500 miles just exploring the immediate area. I enjoy riding "spirited" :wink: and I can't imagine navigating around hundreds of thousands of hogs clogging up every decent 2-way.

If you're going for the party and the spectacle, you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, pick another time of the year.

#7 ·
I've been to Sturgis several times, you'll be safe. This is my favorite rally. Average age of attendees is probably 50s. It is Harley heavy, but all kinds of bikes there, no one will care what you ride. I would STRONGLY suggest going a few days before the rally starts and hitting all the places to ride (Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Hwy, Badlands, Spearfish Canyon, Devil's Tower, etc.). After the rally starts, these sites will be packed - as well as the roads to get there. One overlooked ride is Vonocker Canyon Rd between Sturgis and Rapid City. Great curvy ride thru the Black Hills Nat'l Forest and not much traffic. Watch for wildlife.

#8 ·
Agree with Duane and others. Having lived in South Dakota I've ridden the Black Hills during Sturgis week and many other times. Sturgis week is most definitely not the best time to ride out there...too many bikes and commotion for my taste. What you ride makes little difference to anyone there. Unless you're curious and want to see the rally I'd pick another time. The Hills offer some of the best riding you'll experience, and very much worth a trip out there.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for the tips
Well , I imagined that all the roads around will be ultra packed and saturated , is mostly to see what is a rally !! I never been to one except Laconia NH and lake George NY those 2 are nothing compare to Sturgis I guess

I’ll arrive the second day of the rally I think , this time I’ll explore more than riding around , and then continue through Montana going down to Wyoming , the only ride that I really want to do is the Mount Rushmore , for us in Europe Mount Rushmore is definitely AMERICA !! Very exited to discover the Midwest

Guys how the K16 act for long long rides ?
Anything I should worry about ?
Mine has only 4000 miles , some say the bike did not broke in yet ? ( i think you say like that , right ?)

I’m used to long hauls with my Yamaha FJR1300 which is very reliable , confort is 6+ I should say , only problem is buffeting with any windshield , with Ohlins suspension is a train , pushing average 85mph consumption is around 44 miles per gallon

The few hundred miles that I did with the k16 were very comfy , the bike responds very good , mpg is insane !! averaging 50 mpg at 70 mph is crazy

Super excited planning the trip

Thanks guys

#10 · (Edited)
Your bike will do fine. I don't see where you mention which model of the K1600 you own. If you have 4,000 miles on a GTL, which comes with Metzlers, those tires won't make it there and back I would definitely put a set of new ones on the bike before leaving. If they are some other brand then maybe you might be OK. A lot of other brand tires will go 8,000 miles. With the high torque of this engine combined with the weight they eat tires very quickly compared to your FJR.

Also oil changes are do every 6,000 miles. If you are currently riding a lot you will be close enough BEFORE you leave that you should have it changed early before leaving. That will save you having to do it while on the trip.

Finding a dealer for new tires out West is possible but you should mark down where they are. If you have the BMW Navigator GPS there is an icon that when clicked on will show all the BMW dealers in the U.S.

#11 ·
Hi Arizona Jim ,
yes the stock tires are dead , mostly the front one , I bought already a pair of Dunlop RS III , will install them beginning of next week ,

Do you suggest me to install them at the dealer ?

Or I can install them at my motorcycle workshop

There’s a Harley workshop just at 12 seconds from my house and he does install the tires when I bring him the rims

i hope out there in the aftermarket there’s the electronic tool that you plug and read the codes and reset the service light , I’ll investigate about that , so I don’t have to go to the dealer everytime I do an oil change or everytime the service light pops up

My priority is highway pegs , I’m maybe going to create ones with some existing pegs and holes with a black plug on them that I spotted under the engine and they have a thread , I think is where you install the engine guards

Accessories for the K are even more expensive than accessories in general !! Hahahahaha

Slowly like everybody I’ll customize the bike to my needs

The oil is very very clear , the person who sold it to me told me that he changed it like 300 miles ago , I think we should be good for the trip , then I’ll find some dealers during the trip

Super excited about everything so far , I’m not the “ snap pictures guy”
My trips are always very sober and not super documented

I had to document when I did few ironbutts

Jim you can see my bike in my garage , her name is krabator !! Hahaha

Catch you soon guys

#12 · (Edited)
If there is a shop close by that you've used in the past and seem reputable by all means use them. There is nothing special about mounting tires on our rims just make sure they know about the tire pressure monitor and not to break it. They are expensive to replace.

There is a device (GS911 for $400) that can be purchased to reset the service light. I use to just ignore it and keep a written log of the maintenance done, the mileage on the bike and date. Since then one of our forum members, who has the GS911, hooked it to my bike and set the service interval to 99,000 KM or something like that so now it won't come on for around 60,000 miles instead of 6,000 miles. I rely on my written spread sheet.

If your oil was just changed then you will be good to go. The Dunlop RSII tires are an excellent choice, you'll like them.

#14 ·
Hi Jim
Tires done early in the morning and went for a huge spin in upstate NY ,is pretty fast removal And installation , in the future Maybe get me a scanner as I’m thinking using K16 for many years , yesterday rode the bike a lot and I really like it is the ultimate long trip motorcycle for sure , at super low speed still not used to the friction point which is very far ahead the lever , but in general the bike handles very good , super quiet , and amazingly comfy

#13 ·
My aunt and uncle live in Custer and I usually take a bike when I visit. In 2008 my uncle passed away and his memorial service was being held during the rally so I figured that I might as well ride there. As stated, nobody cares what you ride.

If you want to ride during the rally then get up at sunrise and get your riding in in the morning when all of the drinkers are still hung over and in bed. The biggest danger is riding in the afternoon or evening when drinkers and weekend riders are on the road.

Reactions: Gigi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.