BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a great fan of Amsoil products but sometimes finding what I want locally has been a challenge. The other day I was reading a post by forum member capav8r where he mentioned that he would provide Amsoil products at a reduced cost and provide other great incentives to K16 members.

Today I took him up on his offer and bought everything from Amsoil motorcycle oil to compressor oil to brake fluid to even synthetic oil for my lawn and garden equipment. All for a super price, free shipping and a $10 rebate to boot! Link below Thanks capav8r AKA Matt Dan

https://www.k16synthetics.com/k1600-forum-members.html

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
+1 Dan's comments. I too get all my AmsOil products directly from Matt, @capav84.

Duane

·
Super Moderator
16,841 Posts
I found the original post by George Morrison regarding the Amsoil oil filter test results: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/846034/1

While there are now some very good synthetic media oil filters on the market, filtering 98.7% at 20 microns, the Amsoil filter takes it to another level.

The hardest part for the K1600 is that Amsoil isn't making a filter sized right.

Paper media oil filters are a poor choice for the filtration of synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
+2. As soon as I get the da*# stripped inner plug out I'll switch to Amsoil using the case of oil I got from @capav8r. :rolleyes: Thanks, Matt...

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I found the original post by George Morrison regarding the Amsoil oil filter test results: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/846034/1

While there are now some very good synthetic media oil filters on the market, filtering 98.7% at 20 microns, the Amsoil filter takes it to another level.

The hardest part for the K1600 is that Amsoil isn't making a filter sized right.

+1. The ONLY reason I’ve gone to Castrol Racing 4T or LiquiMoly Racing 4T from Deutschland on the Beemers is the lack of a properly sized filter from Amsoil.

While they no longer have the big advantage on synthetic oil itself (no dissatisfaction at all with Amsoil, but others have caught up), their filters are in a different league, and I use Amsoil stuff exclusively on our Yamaha products. They used to, at least, guarantee two oil changes per filter change, and I started getting longer use out of the Amsoil itself when I started buying filters from them, too. [On anything and everything other than the new K16, once synthetic came around, I’ve always just changed the oil when the shifter got a little sticky].

My 2d place filter is HiFloFiltro, but they don’t make the right sized filters to avoid removing half the body panels on a Bimmer, either.

I’ve already done our Amsoil changes for this year, but next year, I’ll place our Yammy Amsoil order with @capav8r here. I’d much rather give my money to one of you folks, and everyone here who sells something does well with customer service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been an Amsoil advocate for over a decade. All of my vehicles use it. After 1,000 on my B I used Amsoil. It now shifts into neutral so easy with no effort, unlike before where it was hard to get neutral at a stop light from first gear.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Dear RL, why is paper media a poor choice for synthetic oil?

Robert

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'm going to guess the oil outlasts the paper media filter by a good margin. The dirt plugs the filter media, then bypass valve shunts oil past the filter when the resistance to passing through is too high, then no filtration at all until next filter change. RL, did I get it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
So, is everybody getting the 10w-40....since I don’t see the BMW-recommended 5w-40? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
16,841 Posts
Bottom line is to change paper oil filters more often as the capacity to filter, and not clog sending oil flow through the bypass, is limited.

·
Super Moderator
16,841 Posts
High volume oil pump engines get around the poor paper oil filter performance by having the bypass spring rate set to 27 psi, whereas normal bypass pressure is 13 psi. Is this the best way to handle poor filtration performance?

There are now a number of synthetic media oil filters offered. Prudent engine makers should make the switch.

Maybe someone might search dimensions to see if there is a synthetic oil filter that would fit the K1600?

Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Mobil 1, Royal Purple and NAPA Platinum.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Maybe someone might search dimensions to see if there is a synthetic oil filter that would fit the K1600?

Amsoil has a filter with the correct base plate, but it is too long. I keep asking them (Amsoil) to make a filter that is shorter. Their answer always used to be "there is not enough demand for it". They are now starting to indicate that it may be on the roadmap. I will post here any news I hear on this.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, is everybody getting the 10w-40....since I don’t see the BMW-recommended 5w-40? :confused:

You can mix 0W-40 and 10W-40 to get 5W-40 if desired. This was covered in a thread a while back. Cant remember what the thread was titled. I believe RL was the author.....I think???

I have written it down in my owners manual as 3.6 quarts 10W-40 and 1.4 quarts of 0W-40. I have never been able to find 0W-40 locally until recently when my friend bought a case for his 4 wheelers. I may give the mixing thing a try but to make it simple I may just do 4 to 1 to make things simple.

I have 30,000 miles on my K16 and it doesnt use a drop in between oil changes....Amsoil since new on a 2012 with the supposedly crappy pistons. So far so good. Dan

·
Registered
944 Posts
You can mix 0W-40 and 10W-40 to get 5W-40 if desired. This was covered in a thread a while back. Cant remember what the thread was titled. I believe RL was the author.....I think???

I have written it down in my owners manual as 3.6 quarts 10W-40 and 1.4 quarts of 0W-40. I have never been able to find 0W-40 locally until recently when my friend bought a case for his 4 wheelers. I may give the mixing thing a try but to make it simple I may just do 4 to 1 to make things simple.

I have 30,000 miles on my K16 and it doesnt use a drop in between oil changes....Amsoil since new on a 2012 with the supposedly crappy pistons. So far so good. Dan
Don’t use any 0W-40. It is not intended for use in motorcycle engines with shared transmissions. It is strictly for ATV’s or snowmobiles with CVT transmissions. Contrary to what some people here think, a UOA is the only way to tell how well an oil is protecting your engine, and UOA’s with 0W-40 show severe oil breakdown. Read the bottle, read the info on the website and they do not recommend it in motorcycles. Then make a phone call to Amsoil’s tech line and they will say DO NOT run that oil in a motorcycle.
The 10W-40 Metric is a great oil for motorcycle usage.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the label on the 0W-40. Wet clutch compatible and API SL/SJ. Owners manual stuff.
I know many here use straight 0W-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
So where does it say “motorcycles”?

Have you done a UOA, running 0W-40? Please post it. If not, How do you know it’s protecting well?

For those that don’t believe me, call the Amsoil toll-free tech line and they will advise you NOT to run it in motorcycles.

For those that choose to continue running it without doing UOA’s, good luck.

I’m just trying to help people out. Running this oil “because someone on a forum told you to” without providing UOA’s to back it up, makes no sense.

I’ve at least provided reasons NOT to run 0W-40.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The main point of my post was the claim that it was for powersports with CVT transmissions. Not true according to the label.
The oil has all the qualities that my owners manual states is necessary for use in my 2012 GTL and that’s what I go by.
I am not an petroleum engineer so I can’t factually argue one way or the other. Heck I don’t even know what a UOA is.
The label states for other power sports applications and I feel my bike would also qualify as such.
I only suggested to add a qt of the 0W-40 to 4 qts of 10W-40 during an oil change as mentioned in a previous thread to end up with 5W-40 if that was a goal. I know of several forum members that use only the 0W-40 with what results.... I don’t know.

I personally think an ATV , a Snowmobile , or an “other power sport” use the same type of 4 stroke internal combustion engine and can’t see a huge difference between the 3 other than they may get harder use than our K16s.
Sorry that this became the typical oil thread. Respectfully Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts