BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if they are still 'biker friendly' at the Tail of the Dragon. Was last there five years ago.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Who is "they"?

Joe

Reactions: dobervol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just wondering if they are still 'biker friendly' at the Tail of the Dragon. Was last there five years ago.
Yes, south end of ‘Tail’ store and resturants great. Just try to plan your visit Tues thru Thurs, to help escape the large crowds and extended, ‘knee dropping’ traffic ! Route has heavy traffic on weekends and law enforcement presence is pretty heavy these days.

I need to make the run again on my new B, so I can apply the Tail sticker to my rear fender. I will probably wait until fall and do a mid week ride to avoid all the crowds !

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
Waiting for Gary Culb to chime in.

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Waiting for Gary Culb to chime in.
Arizona Jim,

Thanks for the intro. Ellaspoppy- The Entire Area is Motorcycle Friendly...

The Tail of The Dragon is what is refered to as a "Right of Passage Road".

Since 2016 the SE K1600 Riders have been putting on the "BMW's Tame the Tail of the Dragon" (https://www.facebook.com/K1600DG/ ). All Experienced Mountain Riders are Wellcome!!!

There are many such fantastic roads/ routes throughout the Appalachian Mountains. Defenitly a unique riding experience.

If you require more data first consider a search of this web site.

Got go back to Clinic...

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
If you go, don't do what the guy in the background of Doc's picture is doing. Crossing the double yellow will get you a ticket "toot suite" on the Dragon.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
If you had steel toed boots I think we would see some sparks in that photo.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I live 45 minutes from the Dragon, it is very biker friendly other than the out of state riders not waving! LOL!
Come on and ride it, just remember ride your ride and DON'T CROSS the DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!

Reactions: 1rickster

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live 45 minutes from the Dragon, it is very biker friendly other than the out of state riders not waving! LOL!
Come on and ride it, just remember ride your ride and DON'T CROSS the DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!

View attachment 143887
When was the last time yu had a ‘knee dragger’ coming in your direction riding the yellow line on a sweeper to his left !! 😮

·
Registered
547 Posts
This COVID thing has everything in disarray right now, so if you go, be prepared for things to be out of the normal. Bring a mask, but most of all have fun. Let the idiosyncrasies be an opportunity not a bother. I fell out of line last year during the Tame the Dragon rally and ended up riding the dragon by myself. So I made the most of it.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,327 Posts
Yep. After a relaxing (boring) hwy ride, with my heels hooked on the pegs, I’ve had a very twisty road “remind me” to get the balls of my feet up on the pegs more than once.

But some makers (I know Dianese does) offer boots with titanium sliders to match Doc’s peg feelers, so if someone wanted to on purpose, they could really throw up a mess of sparks. Would be great to get that on camera.

Reactions: 1rickster

·
Registered
108 Posts
Riding most of the Appalachians' my favorite route/ road still is the old Moonshiner Hwy (NC28- Moonshiner28 – 103 mile unique touring adventure from Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap to Walhalla SC ). Starts in my home state of SC & ends at the Tail of the Dragon. The variety of the route is still amazing to me. Best,

Doc (y) (y)

I’m in Franklin. 28 down to Highlands, on down to SC and 76 back over to Clayton and back home is one of my favorite short rides. Traffic on 28 down past Highlands into SC is always very light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been a few times on a Harley, can't wait to get there on my GA.... Traffic made me slow down early just to get enough room for some speed, to have fun in the turn. Still got some sparks in the 1st pic. Lots better with no traffic, can get a nice rhythm going.

There's a company called Kill Boy, that has pro photographers at different places. Look up the date and time when you rode the dragon, you can buy the pics.

I've had riders coming the other direction cross into my lane, leave yourself an out, just in case. Fun ride, lots of good roads in the area, including the approach to the NC side.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Unless his body position is correct. 👍

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unless his body position is correct. 👍
You bring up a point I asked in a thread. My left toe hits before any part of the bike hits. In a turn, my foot is below the shifter, ready to upshift. In a left turn, the toe of my shoe is the first to hit, right turn no problem. As I understand, that the way it is. Kind of un nerving , when the shoe hits, it startles me. I haven't been in the mountains with my GA yet, maybe I'll never lean that far. Dealer can't adjust the shifter up, I've tried tucking it in tight. Do I have correct body position? (I'm the guy in the Blue Harley).

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
You bring up a point I asked in a thread. My left toe hits before any part of the bike hits. In a turn, my foot is below the shifter, ready to upshift. In a left turn, the toe of my shoe is the first to hit, right turn no problem. As I understand, that the way it is. Kind of un nerving , when the shoe hits, it startles me. I haven't been in the mountains with my GA yet, maybe I'll never lean that far. Dealer can't adjust the shifter up, I've tried tucking it in tight. Do I have correct body position? (I'm the guy in the Blue Harley).
I have the same problem, I ride the Dragon and all the other twisty roads here in East Tennessee, my left toe drags when I forget to move my foot up and away from the shifter.
Wonder if there is a solution to this? I'm used to dragging hard parts on my Victory Vision, never knew I'd drag soft parts! :eek:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts