BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Premium Member
I'm not trying to diminish the road, just pointing out what is really different about it than other roads in other areas is all the stuff on the side of the road, not the road itself. Everything you said about it was about stuff around the road, not the road.
Biggest difference is the Dragon has NO OTHER ROADS connecting to it. You don't have to worry about some Redneck back woods bumpkin pulling out in front of you!

Reactions: garyculb

Premium Member
Biggest difference is the Dragon has NO OTHER ROADS connecting to it. You don't have to worry about some Redneck back woods bumpkin pulling out in front of you!
That is a great thing and while not widely common, it isn't as unique as you think. Maybe it is unique in that area, but in the west, it is pretty common if you ignore forest service roads and logging roads that may appear on a map but are often gated off for years at a time.

Mr.Fix It
If you haven't ridden it you can't compare it...

Duane

Reactions: garyculb

Premium Member
If you haven't ridden it you can't compare it...

Duane
I have. It was good, even very good. But when I mention that it isn't really a one of a kind, that is based on my experience of riding it and riding in the mountainous west.

Registered
My first experience with the "dragon" was back in '76 and was driving a 20' straight truck loaded with Mine batteries. I had just left a customer in Marble, NC (Andrews, NC) and had to go to the coal-fields in Eastern Kentucky. The Rand McNally Map "said" the best route was 129 to Knoxville, road looked curvy but hey no problem right!!???? So off I go up the road to 129 North, Robbinsville looked like a quant little town in the mountains and continuing on I was thinking how pretty is was up here; the road went from ok to "is this really a road" approaching Alcoa's Tapoco Lodge! Got to Fugitive Dam and the fun began (sarcasm). Got to the CROT and the gas station looked like it needed a bulldozer and the hotel had a grass parking lot and was wondering WHY is this even here! After what seemed like forever I FINALLY reached flatland just north of Tabcat Bridge and I remember stopping the truck, getting out and literally kissed the pavement! LOL. Drove the dragon many times after that and never got any easier but at this point I was familiar with the road. 20 years later no I am on two-wheels having a blast!
Why did I write this, because the Dragon is a fun road to ride but with TDOT lowering the speed limit from 55 to 30 makes it much easier to get a performance award. Of course the car clubs, the squids, and the occasional semi also diminishes some of the fun. For those of you who don't live within a day's ride of the dragon I would for sure put this on your bucket list of roads to ride.

Registered
My first experience with the "dragon" was back in '76 and was driving a 20' straight truck loaded with Mine batteries. I had just left a customer in Marble, NC (Andrews, NC) and had to go to the coal-fields in Eastern Kentucky. The Rand McNally Map "said" the best route was 129 to Knoxville, road looked curvy but hey no problem right!!???? So off I go up the road to 129 North, Robbinsville looked like a quant little town in the mountains and continuing on I was thinking how pretty is was up here; the road went from ok to "is this really a road" approaching Alcoa's Tapoco Lodge! Got to Fugitive Dam and the fun began (sarcasm). Got to the CROT and the gas station looked like it needed a bulldozer and the hotel had a grass parking lot and was wondering WHY is this even here! After what seemed like forever I FINALLY reached flatland just north of Tabcat Bridge and I remember stopping the truck, getting out and literally kissed the pavement! LOL. Drove the dragon many times after that and never got any easier but at this point I was familiar with the road. 20 years later no I am on two-wheels having a blast!
Why did I write this, because the Dragon is a fun road to ride but with TDOT lowering the speed limit from 55 to 30 makes it much easier to get a performance award. Of course the car clubs, the squids, and the occasional semi also diminishes some of the fun. For those of you who don't live within a day's ride of the dragon I would for sure put this on your bucket list of roads to ride.
Yes, I am close enough to get there pretty quick. Gonna wait until end of Aug, first of Sept, during middle of week, to ride it again on my new B, so I can stick on that DRAGON STICKER TO REAR !

41 - 47 of 47 Posts