BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing precut protective film from ‘theTankslapper.biz’ on my GTL saddle bags - called Expel Ultimate (glossy). No manufacturers marks on the back, so I can’t tell who actually manufactured the film. I’m hoping to prevent some of the boot scuff marks and dings that gradually accumulated over the years on my old RT. A friend has similar film installed on his car’s grill and doors and reports zero rock chips and door marks after 2+ years. After reading various posts on this forum, I decided to pay the $52 price for precut film pieces that fit the contours of the GTL saddle bags instead of relying on my scissors skills on raw sheets from Amazon. Precut shapes are available only from Tankslapper so far as I could determine. I assumed the film would be the usual peel and stick adhesive where my usual mistakes are fatal....but I was wrong. It’s amazingly easy to install and reposition. The magic is you mix up a half cup of rubbing alcohol and water in a 1:3 ratio and liberally spray the mixture on the bikes painted surface and on the front and back of the detached film. The precut piece of adhesive film floats on the layer of liquid on the paint and allowed me to slide the precut piece anywhere I wanted to get it perfectly aligned. I then squeegee’d the liquid out from beneath the precut film using a credit card as a squeegee. Once the liquid is out, the film adheres to the paint. All this is explained on a video on their web site. It took me about 30 minutes to do both saddle bags. When done, I asked my wife to see if she could tell the difference between the surfaces with and without protective film on them - she was unable to tell the difference- the film is nearly invisible. So I rate this product’s ease of application as excellent and its initial look as excellent. I have no idea yet how it will last or how well it protects from dings. But if I get a couple of years out of it I’ll be happy. Attached are are before and after pictures (first picture is the before) and a picture of the precut film.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I’ve used it on two bikes. Some pieces more of a challenge than others. Lucas seems like a good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Thanks for posting... I just ordered a set of pannier protectors. :tb

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Great timing for this post. I've been talking to them about the changes in the 2018 body work and specifically, the Option 719 (chrome strips on the sides of the front fender, for example) to make sure that the pre-cut film will fit. I plan on doing the entire bike whenever the weather cooperates and I can get it home.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Keg

Smart move that boot scuff on the Pannier could cost $650 to replace the plastic painted surface depending on color.

Don't ask how I know this...........

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keg

Smart move that boot scuff on the Pannier could cost $650 to replace the plastic painted surface depending on color.

Don't ask how I know this...........

The passenger footrest/seat geometry on my new GTL is different from my older R1200RT, such that my 5’ 2” wife has a hard time swinging her leg across without impacting the top of the saddle bag, especially at the end of a long day when tired — only a matter of time until significant $ damage is visible. I’m hopeful the protector film will do the trick. Though having my wife ride with me is worth every $. The GTL is a lot easier for me to get on and more comfortable to ride, but harder for her and and a bit less comfortable. I had to have RDL customize the passenger backrest to pad it out 2” so she sits erect in the saddle instead of reclining....
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts