BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all. I’m really close to placing an order with Aerostich on Friday for their R-3 suit. Any reason not to? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Bruce, I'd suggest you take a close look at the Klim Hardanger. I looked at the RC before buying the Klim and the Klim offers many updated features. Only knock on the Klim is you may have trouble with fitment.

Duane

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
A one piece suit, whether Klim or Stich, is handy if you're a commuter or doing long distance, multi-day rides. Other than that, its like dragging a 25 lb buddy around with you every time you get off the motorcycle.
Since my riding habits have changed over the years, I have migrated from a one piece RoadCrafter, to a jacket (Klim Badlands) and pants (Stich AD-1). Much more convenient and versatile.
Out of curiosity, I looked at a Klim at my local dealer and what turned me off the most is how complicated it is. There must be a dozen zippers, flaps and pockets on the thing.
If you do go with Stich...ask them for a discount. They always seem to have one hidden in a drawer.

Good luck!

Joe

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A one piece suit, whether Klim or Stich, is handy if you're a commuter or doing long distance, multi-day rides. Other than that, its like dragging a 25 lb buddy around with you every time you get off the motorcycle.
Since my riding habits have changed over the years, I have migrated from a one piece RoadCrafter, to a jacket (Klim Badlands) and pants (Stich AD-1). Much more convenient and versatile.
Out of curiosity, I looked at a Klim at my local dealer and what turned me off the most is how complicated it is. There must be a dozen zippers, flaps and pockets on the thing.
If you do go with Stich...ask them for a discount. They always seem to have one hidden in a drawer.

Good luck!

Joe
Thanks Joe. I haven’t completely ruled out a pair of AD-1’s for the reasons you stated. I have three first class jackets. a Helte turtle vest and two pairs of riding pants, one of which is getting like me-old.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Check their sale list. I saw an email where all RoadCrafter pants sale items were further discounted.
Here is the link: RoadCrafter sale

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
If the 1 piece Hardanger is anything like the 2 piece Latitude then I would give it some serious consideration too. Gore Tex and Cordura shell - no lining needed. Lots of vent zippers and pockets. Love mine.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I love my Hardanger. I use it for commuting and my long rides. I find that with some heated gear I am good all the way to black ice season. I do not take my gear off when I am on the road until I am done for the day, so I don't worry about ditching the suit.

The one-piece step-in works well for me.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
+1 Hardanger. I have nothing negative to say about Aerostitch.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
The Hardanger is the one item Klim has available in Tall sizes...

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I will say one thing about the Hardanger, the pads can move inside it if the fit is not correct. I lost a lot of weight, so my Hardanger fits a little loose up top. There is not trade-in so I will continue to wear the suit with one adjustment; I wear Bohn body armor under my suit (without its pads) when I am on a real trip. In this case, I have developed a uniform of the day which includes the Bohn armor, my warm 'n safe underwear, and that is about it underneath. I do pack a backup down vest in case the heated gear fails.

I have ridden through driving rain with this gear and remain as comfortable as was possible.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Good evening all. I’m really close to placing an order with Aerostich on Friday for their R-3 suit. Any reason not to? Thanks in advance.
I have a Roadcrafter. Stiffer than a rusty suit of armor, hotter than a Dutch oven in warm weather, I can't get my hands in some of the pockets because of where they are located. Apart from those things, it's ok.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I have a Roadcrafter. Stiffer than a rusty suit of armor, hotter than a Dutch oven in warm weather, I can't get my hands in some of the pockets because of where they are located. Apart from those things, it's ok.
Have you tried the tennis balls/tennis shoes thing Aerostich recommends (putting it in the dryer for hours on low setting with) to soften up the suit? I've seen a bunch of folks over on advrider who say it worked for them.

Living where I do, the heat and lack of vents and pockets on the 'Stich is why I preferred Klim. I do plan to get a RC classic, just as a winter commuting suit, but I can't imagine a high heat AND humidity environment with a 'Stich, unless you stop every 20-30 minutes to re-wet your gear and load up the thigh pockets in the 'Stich with ice. Despite that, I'm surprised that someone in Canada wouldn't be pleased with a 'Stich Classic, since it's warmer, and for most of the year, you'd want that. And I know you do have shorts weather for a little bit each year, but I think on balance I'd want warmer rather than colder for year-round gear.

Now, that said, you can close all the vents on the Klim and wear a couple thin layers underneath, and one of those can be heated gear, and I'd still think you'd be fine. The styling is subjective, but just speaking for myself, I loved all the options for configuration the Klim stuff gives you, with a ton of pockets and a bunch of vents. No leaks yet, but I've only ridden in "regular" rain so far, not an outright monsoon.

Last, my own gear: Klim Kodiak and Latitude Pant. Love them, but it will be easier for hard-to-fit guys to find a Stich.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Just closing out my thoughts: Both the R-3 and the Motoport custom suit have not changed at all. They lack any sense of style which, coupled with the cost and materials steered me towards the Klim.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I chose the Hardanger simply because I look so **** good in it. Ask guys like Duane who have seen me wearing it.
Even they are jealous.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mucho thanks to each of you that has responded thus far. I find it truly interesting in reading the responses. For example, my next door neighbor purchased a new Klim Hardanger suit last summer and he and I went for a spirited ride in SW Virginia one Saturday in August. On the way home he had to stop and sit in the shade for 45 minutes or so to 'cool' off. Was totally wiped out due to the ambient temperature and way curvy roads we were on. He rides a C14 Kawasaki Concours with lots of high perf. 'stuff' on it. Oh yeah, he's 'only' thirty-five years old. Lastly, he had a crash a few weeks after our ride (car making a left hand turn in front of him at an intersection and at fault) and his Schuberth helmet AND his Hardanger saved his arse. My point is, so many of our beloved motorcycle accessories and how we use them are quite personal and subjective. I for one used to think that Ohlins shock absorbers were a waste of money until I had some installed years ago on my 2005 K1200 LTC-wow is all I can say. The good news is most new high end protective gear is money well spent in the pursuit of happy trails. I'm leanin' towards th' Stich stuff as I write this. I like their story. Just don't laugh at me the next time ya see me all dressed up and ready to rodeo!:)

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I love my Aerostich. It has kept me warm down into the 30's with a warm&save heated liner. I wish I had gotten a larger one as I have ganed a bit of weight. It's a pain when on a long trip going into restaurants as I can't take just the jacket off.
As far as the heat goes I mostly only use it when I know I'll be cold. I have worn it in the 90"s with no problems as long as I keep moving and the vents are open.. (Don't get a black one)
On summer trips I use my Moto Port mesh pants and jacket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts