BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the military I was in electronic warfare; meaning my role was to listen for threat emitters and evaluate their impact, etc. I also worked on the B1 in Palmdale.

Like it or hate it, this pickup should not be seen by radar, and likely not by LIDAR (except shined directly on the headlights or license plate). This bitch is stealth.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Where’s the bed, which is kinda important for a truck?

Agreed, if it’s stealth the cops won’t like it. But it’s gotta get into consumers hands before that’s going to be an issue. I predict it will have significant changes before it makes it to market. I mean IF it makes it to market...

·
Registered
27 Posts
This thing has me very tempted:

"Tesla calls the Cybertruck’s bed its “Vault,” mainly because it has a slide-down tonneau cover that can safely lock away whatever you stow in there. More important to truck enthusiasts, though, is just how much capacity the bed has.

It’s 6.5 feet long, and is rated for more than 3,500 pounds. There’s a handy under-bed storage area, too, to keep things like tools from rattling around as you drive. As with Tesla’s other models, there’s a front trunk – or “frunk” – with more space; the Cybertruck also adds extra capacity in the buttress-like sail pillars.
Altogether you’re looking at 100 cubic feet of exterior space. Items in the bed can be charged up, too, via 110/240V outlets. Inside, meanwhile, the rear seats lift up to reveal more room for cargo."

https://www.slashgear.com/tesla-cybertruck-specs-elon-musks-pickup-by-the-numbers-22601156/

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
no spare tyre then !

·
Registered
396 Posts
Some politician will learn this and demand that they have discrete transponders installed so that speed can be measured remotely. You can't have that kind of capability here in the land of the free.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
In the military I was in electronic warfare; meaning my role was to listen for threat emitters and evaluate their impact, etc. I also worked on the B1 in Palmdale.

Like it or hate it, this pickup should not be seen by radar, and likely not by LIDAR (except shined directly on the headlights or license plate). This bitch is stealth.

Better get out your radar absorbing or diffusing paint. The design itself isn't that much more stealthy than the average car and potentially less so (that giant front facing metal 'bumper' below the light strip. A bunch of angles isn't going to be that much more effective than a bunch of curves except at a distance or head on, which is why, among many other reasons, newer stealth fighters have far fewer flat angle planes. What typically kills you in a car are your license plate and headlight buckets, both of which are by design, good reflectors.

As an aside, I wonder if there is an actual law about license plates or just a description of one. I found out running my first company that there was no legal definition of a 'cheque' so we all wrote our paychecks on whatever we had laying around. Every week we took in a variety of different scraps of paper with our account numbers on them. The bank fought it at first but eventually they got into it as well and looked forward to our creativity, right up and until the day that I brought in a banana skin and my partner brought in a balloon. License plates, if there is no 'standard' by legal definition just means a group of letters and numbers on something that approximates the size of a license plate. I do not believe it has to be an actual, typical metal license plate so you could, in theory, just paint your license plate ID onto a sheet of plastic thereby killing its radar cross section..

·
Registered
31 Posts
This thing has me very tempted:

"Tesla calls the Cybertruck’s bed its “Vault,” mainly because it has a slide-down tonneau cover that can safely lock away whatever you stow in there. More important to truck enthusiasts, though, is just how much capacity the bed has.

It’s 6.5 feet long, and is rated for more than 3,500 pounds. There’s a handy under-bed storage area, too, to keep things like tools from rattling around as you drive. As with Tesla’s other models, there’s a front trunk – or “frunk” – with more space; the Cybertruck also adds extra capacity in the buttress-like sail pillars.
Altogether you’re looking at 100 cubic feet of exterior space. Items in the bed can be charged up, too, via 110/240V outlets. Inside, meanwhile, the rear seats lift up to reveal more room for cargo."

https://www.slashgear.com/tesla-cybertruck-specs-elon-musks-pickup-by-the-numbers-22601156/

Lot of stats and details about the storage areas without pics. Sounds like a fairytale. I would never put my business in the hands of an unproven EV. The only thing they’re good for is commuting between known distances.

Maybe someday when battery production and even more importantly, the production of electricity can support the required infrastructure. Even nuclear reactors produce undesirable waste. Wind energy? Drive through the Mojave and imagine that in your neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
When people need a truck this thing will fail as a truck. Range while hauling or towing will kill it. For those using it as a commuter vehicle and willing to crawl into Voltron every morning it will probably do well (in that niche). It will probably also do well as a contractor shuttle, you know, that guy that shows up at all the job sites but never really does any work. What it really did is sent a shot across the bow of Ford telling them 'you can do better with better materials and out of the box thinking'.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Not to burst any green bubbles here, but personally I think electric vehicles are a scam, and so is Elon Musk. The premise of electric vehicles is to save us from Global warming, which is another argument altogether, but I think it fails miserably at that goal. Each electric vehicle requires the strip mining of 20 acres of land to get the ore's required just for that battery. All the machinery involved in that mining is diesel powered. Next is the warped thought process that somehow the electricity needed to charge the batteries in the truck comes from thin air. Of course, it does not, the overwhelming majority of electricity is produced burning fossil fuels, which means this entire exercise moves emissions from tailpipes to power plant stacks. Lastly, all the reading I've done regarding end of life cycle for these batteries is an ecological nightmare. I just don't see it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Not to burst any green bubbles here, but personally I think electric vehicles are a scam, and so is Elon Musk. The premise of electric vehicles is to save us from Global warming, which is another argument altogether, but I think it fails miserably at that goal. Each electric vehicle requires the strip mining of 20 acres of land to get the ore's required just for that battery. All the machinery involved in that mining is diesel powered. Next is the warped thought process that somehow the electricity needed to charge the batteries in the truck comes from thin air. Of course, it does not, the overwhelming majority of electricity is produced burning fossil fuels, which means this entire exercise moves emissions from tailpipes to power plant stacks. Lastly, all the reading I've done regarding end of life cycle for these batteries is an ecological nightmare. I just don't see it.
I agree. I won’t have an electric vehicle in my garage. And Global Warming was dubunked, so they changed the name to “Climate Change”. Convenient. Of course the climate is changing; it always will be whether humans occupy earth, or not. Planet Earth has been in existence for they tell us billions of years, and we have weather data for the last 100 or so years, and they think they see a pattern? Whatever.

How about forest fires? Nowadays, when there is a forest fire we fight it with water bombers and feet on the ground with water and suppressing agent. For billions of years, forest fires burned and burned and burned until nature put them out with rain, or they burnt the earth until there was nothing left to burn, since remember, all continents were at one time joined. There is a lot of carbon in forest fire smoke. Perhaps carbon emissions were higher before the industrial revolution? No one knows.

I think electric vehicles will catch on for a lot of people, make a lot of money for some sectors (the real reason behind the climate change propaganda), then people will wisen up and hydrogen fuel cells will prevail as the long-term solution to fewer emissions.

And a few people in North America switching to electric vehicles won’t help curb global emissions; China and India is where the real problem lays with regard to emissions and GHG, and they don’t appear to buy into the green movement. Last time I checked, GHGs don’t stay within the confines of China & India’s borders.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree. I won’t have an electric vehicle in my garage. And Global Warming was dubunked, so they changed the name to “Climate Change”. Convenient. Of course the climate is changing; it always will be whether humans occupy earth, or not. Planet Earth has been in existence for they tell us billions of years, and we have weather data for the last 100 or so years, and they think they see a pattern? Whatever.

How about forest fires? Nowadays, when there is a forest fire we fight it with water bombers and feet on the ground with water and suppressing agent. For billions of years, forest fires burned and burned and burned until nature put them out with rain, or they burnt the earth until there was nothing left to burn, since remember, all continents were at one time joined. There is a lot of carbon in forest fire smoke. Perhaps carbon emissions were higher before the industrial revolution? No one knows.

I think electric vehicles will catch on for a lot of people, make a lot of money for some sectors (the real reason behind the climate change propaganda), then people will wisen up and hydrogen fuel cells will prevail as the long-term solution to fewer emissions.

And a few people in North America switching to electric vehicles won’t help curb global emissions; China and India is where the real problem lays with regard to emissions and GHG, and they don’t appear to buy into the green movement. Last time I checked, GHGs don’t stay within the confines of China & India’s borders.

Just my $0.02.

Amen. Every trip I make to San Diego reminds me of the growing number of people who’ve bought in to the EV and Global Warming/ Climate change hype being pushed by people who worship the earth and want to control everything everybody else does because they are the chosen ones and it’s their job to enlighten the rest of us even if it means deception. Think Al Gore and the rest of the current crop of hacks. Saving the planet means we have to drive a Prius or God forbid, Tesla while they have their limos and private jets. Same with gun control, they want everyone to turn in their guns while they enjoy armed security. I’ve heard all of the arguments. All of which come from the majority left universities. They’ve been covertly pushing this disinformation for decades and have recently been bold enough to prevent free speech from opposing opinions on campus. We’re seeing it played out in the last two generations.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
China and India is where the real problem lays with regard to emissions and GHG
And yet China is going all-in with electric vehicle technology.

Buying a gas-powered motorcycle in China is so prohibitively expensive that only the rich can afford it. The other 99% are riding electric scooters or bicycles.

And electric cars are being given massive breaks, whereas major Chinese cities limit driving privately owned gas-powered cars to only one day during the work week based on the last digit of your license plate number. Anyone remember the odd/even gas lines during the manufactured oil crisis of the 1970's?

Current electric vehicles may not be the end-all solution for every possible situation, but neither are gas powered vehicles...

Reactions: cardocgolden

·
Registered
31 Posts
And yet China is going all-in with electric vehicle technology.

Buying a gas-powered motorcycle in China is so prohibitively expensive that only the rich can afford it. The other 99% are riding electric scooters or bicycles.

And electric cars are being given massive breaks, whereas major Chinese cities limit driving privately owned gas-powered cars to only one day during the work week based on the last digit of your license plate number. Anyone remember the odd/even gas lines during the manufactured oil crisis of the 1970's?

Current electric vehicles may not be the end-all solution for every possible situation, but neither are gas powered vehicles...

Yes I remember the gas rationing.

However, in my opinion, comparing China to Europe or North America isn’t the same. The majority of their population in the big cities that don’t pedal, use mass transportation. There is a huge chasm between the rich and middle class.

Gas vehicles have their place and you cannot deny they are more practical than electric. Electric vehicles have their place, like golf courses and retirement developments.

My main gripe is the fiction being passed off as fact, especially when the government does it. We spent a lot of tax dollars making Elon rich. The government has no right doing so.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I wonder how many folks responding to this thread have actually driven a performance electric car like the Tesla Model S. That's right, I said perfomance car. It is impressive as ****. Nothing I have ever driven or ridden has pushed me back in the seat like the Tesla S did.

As far as practicality is concerned a modern electric vehicle with ranges easily exceeded 200 miles will handle most folks needs. All you have to do is plug it in when you get home. There are plenty of reasons to buy one and saving the planet does not have to be one of them.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
you cannot deny they are more practical than electric
For certain scenarios, sure. And that's mostly because there are a hundred million gas stations spread across the country, and you can buy a cheap gas powered car for well under $20,000, or far less if looking at used vehicles.

The exact same complaints were voiced when gas powered cars started becoming popular. "They're too expensive. You can't easily refuel them whenever and wherever you want. They're dangerous and will just catch on fire or explode!"

Electric cars are still in their infancy, but they are the future. Battery technology will improve, and the charging infrastructure will follow. Or we'll see hydrogen fuel cells increase in safety and efficiency, and even those are still just electric cars...

Now I'm not standing in line to give up my motorcycle just yet, especially with the kind of long distance riding I do. But I have thought about picking up an electric bike to use as a commuter, or for fun day rides.

Maybe an electric vehicle doesn't make sense for you, just like a motorcycle doesn't make sense for the vast majority of drivers. But that doesn't diminish those for whom it does make sense...

Reactions: cardocgolden

·
Premium Member
578 Posts

Just my $0.02.

I agree, and think the Global Climate alarmists don't see this scam for what it is. It's an excuse to usher in a world Government to "save the planet" Funny how the Paris climate according only had the United States shifting wealth to others IMO the intent was to bring America down to size, and make us just another Country on the Globe, glad POTUS stopped that quickly. The truth is Planet Earth has alternately been a frozen snow ball, and a Molten ball of fire throughout the eons, all long before man arrived on the scene. That big yellow ball of thermonuclear fire in the sky, that we call the sun didn't come with a thermostat. At least no one has found one in mans brief time on Earth. The Sun is no different than any Star of it's size, it's power output varies over time, and that's the cause of climate change. I'm not saying greenhouse gas plays no role, but the role of greenhouse gases is insignificant compared to the power of the Sun.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Keeping mind of course that every one one of those specs is mutually exclusive. You can have one of the above.
And that is not one bit different than any other car/truck ever made...you always trade off between weight, acceleration, and range. It has been that way since before stage coaches.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts