BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evaluating transition from Goldwing to K1600. Test rode a 2013 GTL this morning noticing a strong smell of gasoline while sitting at stop lights. Yuk. Is this an easy fix, or does it belie a more serious issue? Techies, help!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm not a techie, but I can say with total certainty it's not normal. I have zero smells emitting from my 2018 GTL.

The last time I smelled gas was on my previous K1200LT. There was a line that had a minor leak. Replacement fixed all issues. So it could be an easy fix, or something more serious. I'd get a full mechanical check before considering that bike. Actually, I'd have any used bike without remaining warranty thoroughly checked out. Repairs can be extremely expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not a techie, but I can say with total certainty it's not normal. I have zero smells emitting from my 2018 GTL.

The last time I smelled gas was on my previous K1200LT. There was a line that had a minor leak. Replacement fixed all issues. So it could be an easy fix, or something more serious. I'd get a full mechanical check before considering that bike. Actually, I'd have any used bike without remaining warranty thoroughly checked out. Repairs can be extremely expensive.
Great advice. I am noticing a radical difference in maintenance among used bikes, especially those outside warranty. :cool:

·
Mr.Fix It
9,050 Posts
If you do your own maintenance cost is comparable; save for tires. The K bike tire mileage ranges from 4,500 to 9,000 miles per set.

Duane

Reactions: TarkusNY

·
Registered
137 Posts
Evaluating transition from Goldwing to K1600. Test rode a 2013 GTL this morning noticing a strong smell of gasoline while sitting at stop lights. Yuk. Is this an easy fix, or does it belie a more serious issue? Techies, help!
the gas cap may have not been fully seated down, this happened to me on a test ride

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Important to get the fuel pump recall done, however that doesn't address the plastic elbow.
You know, after reading countless articles, and a series of test rides, the real question is "what K1600 component has not been repaired or recalled over the last 10 years?" Absolutely unbelievable. There's even a group on Facebook dedicated to it. o_O

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You know, after reading countless articles, and a series of test rides, the real question is "what K1600 component has not been repaired or recalled over the last 10 years?" Absolutely unbelievable. There's even a group on Facebook dedicated to it. o_O
Yep, it's a love/hate relationship. I thought that when my engine needed replacement (excessive oil consumption), that would be it for me. But it was covered under warranty, and the bike as been solid since. The K16 engine is so good, without any real touring peer, that it would take a lot of pain to move to something else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, it's a love/hate relationship. I thought that when my engine needed replacement (excessive oil consumption), that would be it for me. But it was covered under warranty, and the bike as been solid since. The K16 engine is so good, without any real touring peer, that it would take a lot of pain to move to something else.
Agreed that a solid warranty should assuage consumer reluctance, but the real test is how a product holds up after the nanny has left town. And there you are on your own.

Not the BMW I have known since the '70's.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Agreed that a solid warranty should assuage consumer reluctance, but the real test is how a product holds up after the nanny has left town. And there you are on your own.

Not the BMW I have known since the '70's.
For extra peace of mind, I reupped with the Nanny for 4 additional years after the 3-year OEM warranty expired. :)

Still, I think most owners who buy new, or buy a used bike with some warranty left, are able to shake out most demons lurking within without out-of-pocket dollars. Nothing is absolute, but that's what I get from much of the input around here. It's certainly been my personal experience.

Again, I can only speak for myself. I have zero trepidation about taking long trips where humanity is sparse or non-existent. In the last year from SoCal, I've ridden to the MOA Rally in Montana, did an IBA SS1000 with my wife, just finished an IBA BB1500 as part of the ride to North Carolina for the TTD Event, and have done several other lesser but mile eating treks. I don't think about reliability being a factor at this point. Buy smart and you should be OK.

·
Scammer Hammer
4,064 Posts
The K bikes are quite reliable. With anything mechanical there are some that have problems. There are truly few problems that run wide. Some have coil problems but the vast majority do not as an example.

Many are getting up there in age with many miles/kilometers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts