BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom Line: worth every penny!

I have a 2010 Gold Wing and had been pretty happy with that seat on rides up to 660 miles. When I did my first SaddleSore 1000, I discovered some things at the 800 mile point that were never apparent at 660. Having already heard about the Day Long, I had considered the options of adapting that Goldwing for longer riding or possibly test riding a K1600...well, some of you have seen the photos I have shared of my Russell Day Long I bought back in January.

I've only had the pleasure of a 200 mile day on that seat until yesterday. Went for the whole enchilada and took a 1500 mile ride. My hiney was just as comfortable at the end of the 24 hour ride as it was at the beginning. Knees were doing well, too...I'll attribute some of that to the additional seat height Russell built in and some to the front foot rests, but, really had no knee discomfort that I would get around the same time my old seat on the Gold Wing was giving me fits. Zero regrets on the Day Long purchase...I'd buy another immediately if something nefarious happened to my current one. Don't say I'm completely happy with a great number of purchases, but this is one of them!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for posting. Your review echos my own experience after getting the RDL as well. When I replace this current GTL, whatever touring bike I wind up with, a new RDL will be the first thing I do.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Glad you love it. Very few poor reviews out there. Most regard the looks of it! And congrats on the BBG. Might be the toughest of them all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How the heck can you buy a seat and know what you need without trying? I am not a believer in forking over big bucks without knowing exactly how it's going to work for me. Never understood the logic.....

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you love it. Very few poor reviews out there. Most regard the looks of it! And congrats on the BBG. Might be the toughest of them all.
There is no time for problems on that BBG...I knew that going in but figured I had all highway miles and figured I would be able to average 65 mph overall to remain in a comfortable time zone with the typical interstate speed limite of 75 mph most of the way...although I figured I would have to cut my fuel stop times down a bit. Was going well until I got south of Santa Fe and I spent 30 minutes in a two mile traffic backup due to a lane closure and when I got to the end, all I saw was one guy picking up cones...figured I might be looking at Silver instead of Gold from that point but I kept going hoping to make up time. Final receipt was three minutes shy of the 24 hour mark :cool:

·
Registered
357 Posts
How the heck can you buy a seat and know what you need without trying? I am not a believer in forking over big bucks without knowing exactly how it's going to work for me. Never understood the logic.....
You send in pictures of you on the bike, feet up, feet down. Also, you send in your body dimensions. Weight, inseam. They also ask you if you want your riding position moved. They're experts at building custom seats that work. If you need an adjustment afterwards, you send it back in. Best seat I've ever had. (You can schedule a ride in appointment too.)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is always the thing, isn't it? While I don't mind saving up some money to get something very nice...I sure as heck want to get my money's worth out of it. With the Russell seat, I have been reading owner's comments on it for the past three years and those comments are very nearly 100% stating very high satisfaction levels. A person here or there might not like the "wings" on the seat, as they want to slide around in the curves on the seat...but those are generally comments by people who have not bought the seat because of that concern. Those that have bought the seat have been looking for something that is going to be comfortable for long distances and that is what I desired. Some people have also knocked the "look" of the seats, but even those owners who say it isn't the pretties seat basically say it really doesn't matter because it is that comfortable. I had high expectations and those expectations were met. If someone really doesn't need it...definitely don't spend the money on it. I got the more supportive seat, the height increase and also they were able to move it back for me...pretty much everything a big, tall guy would think he needs and wants and they delivered.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
@XPLSV yikes!!!! Cutting it close for sure! Glad u made it n didn’t waste an extra 3 or 4 minutes fueling or diddling around when u thought u had plenty of time. Wife framed my certificate for me. I rode almost to the Canadian border. 80 mph limit in ND and 75 in SD iirc. My issue wasn’t time. It was the extra fuel stop because mpg rate was much lower than usual. So my scheduled stops were all askew. I had 90 mins to spare. Loved it. Congrats again!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@J-Luv I spent much of the remaining hours doing the calculations in my head on if I could skip a gas stop and how far I would be able to go...knew I wasn't going to quite make it to my starting point, but I had altered my route slightly when I got to my turn-around point in Willcox, AZ and saw an odometer reading that was lower than expected...My odometer total for the trip was 1538 and my specific googlemaps length was 1586...was kind of surpised at the discrepancy size there. Will see how the numbers go on the next one.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have read so many good things about the seats from these guys, but living in Australia just makes the seat and the cost of getting it here to try out and not being close to having any addition done after that is a bigger issue. We don't have the choices you guys have in the USA and then to add insult to that the postage or freight is out of control; along with then having to pay customs duties. so. what the self cost of the seat is you can add double or more to that with our conversion rates being so low. Shame but we are just a small population so not having the demand that you would have in the USA. That is just life I guess.:(:cry:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bottom Line: worth every penny!

I have a 2010 Gold Wing and had been pretty happy with that seat on rides up to 660 miles. When I did my first SaddleSore 1000, I discovered some things at the 800 mile point that were never apparent at 660. Having already heard about the Day Long, I had considered the options of adapting that Goldwing for longer riding or possibly test riding a K1600...well, some of you have seen the photos I have shared of my Russell Day Long I bought back in January.

I've only had the pleasure of a 200 mile day on that seat until yesterday. Went for the whole enchilada and took a 1500 mile ride. My hiney was just as comfortable at the end of the 24 hour ride as it was at the beginning. Knees were doing well, too...I'll attribute some of that to the additional seat height Russell built in and some to the front foot rests, but, really had no knee discomfort that I would get around the same time my old seat on the Gold Wing was giving me fits. Zero regrets on the Day Long purchase...I'd buy another immediately if something nefarious happened to my current one. Don't say I'm completely happy with a great number of purchases, but this is one of them!
I've put RDL's on my last 5 bikes including my 2012 K1600GT.. When I bought my 2015 K1600, I also bought the Corbin Smuggler. The Corbin seat was not a good fit for me. RDL built a custom seat to fit the Smuggler. It's an awesome setup and my top box still fits even with the smuggler. The RDL seats are amazing. If you're a tall rider, the RDL seat should be the first accessory you buy. (IMO)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've put RDL's on my last 5 bikes including my 2012 K1600GT.. When I bought my 2015 K1600, I also bought the Corbin Smuggler. The Corbin seat was not a good fit for me. RDL built a custom seat to fit the Smuggler. It's an awesome setup and my top box still fits even with the smuggler. The RDL seats are amazing. If you're a tall rider, the RDL seat should be the first accessory you buy. (IMO)
You don't have to be tall for a RDL to work. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I'll never own a touring bike without a RDL seat

·
Registered
62 Posts
You don't have to be tall for a RDL to work. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I'll never own a touring bike without a RDL seat

I didn't mean to imply that the RDL is only good for tall riders. As you know, RDL fits their seats to the individual regardless of size. I will never own a bike without an RDL and every rider I've met with and RDL (of any stature) can't imaging riding without one. I put 62k miles in my 2012 K1600 and I now have 44k on my 2015, all on an RDL Seat. I also had an RDL seat on a 2012 GSA, a 2014 GS, and a 2017 GSA. I sold the 2017 GSA but kept the seat which will still fit any GS or GSA from 2012 - 2020. Sorry, I didn't intend to misrepresent the Russell Day Long Seats. The fit is customized for riding position and size for any rider..........

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Off-topic, but you win my award for best user handle on the entire forum! I'm loving it! 👍
Sadly, a new RDL seat is not the prize.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that the RDL is only good for tall riders. As you know, RDL fits their seats to the individual regardless of size. I will never own a bike without an RDL and every rider I've met with and RDL (of any stature) can't imaging riding without one. I put 62k miles in my 2012 K1600 and I now have 44k on my 2015, all on an RDL Seat. I also had an RDL seat on a 2012 GSA, a 2014 GS, and a 2017 GSA. I sold the 2017 GSA but kept the seat which will still fit any GS or GSA from 2012 - 2020. Sorry, I didn't intend to misrepresent the Russell Day Long Seats. The fit is customized for riding position and size for any rider..........
Actually, I apologize. I didn't mean to make it seem like you meant that. I only said that to make sure that people that weren't familiar RDL understood that anybody can benefit from the seat, not just people of a particular size.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A person here or there might not like the "wings" on the seat, as they want to slide around in the curves on the seat...but those are generally comments by people who have not bought the seat because of that concern.
This part of the comment points to an undeniable reality — no seat is perfect for every riding condition. Before buying my GTL, I had the opportunity to test ride a used one with an RDL. It felt great for the freeway portions of my ride. When I exited to the canyon roads of the Santa Monica Mountains, not so much. The aspects of the seat that made it so good for straight line touring were a negative in the twisties. It’s a personal thing, but I felt constrained by the wings. They just didn’t feel right for the way I like to ride. In the end, I had to balance the few weeks a year where I did “all day 700-800 mile” rides against the rest of the year where a lot of my time is spent in hilly and twisty backroads.

So I passed on the RDL and went with a solution that gave me a better balance. The decision making will be individual, but everyone should look at what they personally need with open eyes instead of rushing into a popular seat just because “everybody” else seems to be doing it. If RDL is the best choice after thought is put into it, then so be it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts