BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here at Motorcycle.com we get to ride all of the newest, latest, and greatest motorcycles on the planet. However, more often than not, our time with each bike spans the course of weeks, maybe months (but definitely not years), as new bikes are constantly flowing through our proverbial garages, waiting to get tested. This means we have reviews of almost every motorcycle on the market, but it also means that we lack firsthand experience learning about long-term durability and maintenance. So, when our readers ask about the reliability of a certain make or model, it’s a difficult question to answer, as reliability testing requires ownership for several years – something we simply aren’t in a position to provide.

Thankfully, the folks at Consumer Reports have compiled a motorcycle reliability study, gathering information from more than 11,000 riders, sharing their experiences on more than 12,000 motorcycles purchased new between 2008 and 2014. With this data, CR adjusted for mileage ridden over a 12-month span and estimated failure rates. Like golf, the lower the number (or percentage, in this case), the better the score. CR’s language in the link above is vague, using words like “trouble prone” and not defining what constitutes a failure. Nonetheless, the results are still relevant. Here they are, from worst to best.
Read more about The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
An Accord is, I'm certain, much more reliable than a LaFerrari. So? If given a choice I know which one I'd choose, reliability be [email protected]!

Reactions: BeastRider and kotr

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Hummm....

I must be an exception here.......my K1600 has been trouble free in the 2.5 years I've owned it.
Can't say that about either Honda GL1800 I owned, especially the 2001 with recalls/SBs up the wazoo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it's accurate. I have never had an issue with any Honda or Yamaha I have owned ( and I have owned a lot of bikes), but I have with my k1600 GT.
To me it's worth it... I love how the bike feels and performs.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,230 Posts
In 45000 km 2014 GTL

2 Switch Cluster rhd
1 Switch Cluster lhd
3 water pumps
1 complete engine

None except the first rhd Cluster left me stranded, all professionally dealt with by BMW. Me happy with the bike, BMW probably less with the warranty costs.
Ordered a 2017 GTL and I don't care about reliability ratings. Honda sells millions of bikes worldwide in all imaginable categories, BMW less than 200.000. Apples to oranges comparison to begin with.you can't compare reliability ratings between a 125 cc utility pizza delivery bike and a BMW high tech bike......JMHO

·
3,230 Posts
They are not liars at all. The way how the results are represented is the issue. A defect in Harley chrome is a bad as a premature major component failure just as a starter for a factual discussion

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Anyone who blames consumer repoerts is in denial. I've owned a lot of motorcycles, been around a heck of a lot more, and am a forum junkie. Japanese bikes are definitely more reliable than BMWs.

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
I'm not arguing the result of this listing, but am refusing to accept any result of Consumer Reports without additional verification because to that company's agenda in so many automotive conclusions. E.G.: Montero rollover assertion where CR told the test driver to prove the rollover risk or they would fire him and find someone who will.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I would like to see the mileage on the particular bikes and which models, too. I'd venture to say that the typical BMW has far more miles on it in a given time period than say your typical HD. I would also like to see which models, as an R1200GSA would get far more punishment per mile (theoretically) than an SVO road glide ultra classic retro edition with the platinum tour pak and infotainment premium upgrade would get.

·
3,230 Posts
I had 5 E-Glides in a row from 2005 on until 2014 and only the last one left me stranded 3 times in less than 1000 miles which was the end of they Harley affair. I am not a high miler but 10 -15 k miles per year is a lot over here. The Harleys all did well with no major defects.
I almost threw a fit when a few weeks later the brand spanking new k1600 left me stranded with a blocked starter switch.......
When it comes to consumer ratings of any kind I would like to see the results in more granularity than a 1-10 ranking across a brand. This is useless information when it comes to an informed purchasing decision. Categories like sport bikes, touring bikes etc along with model year and mileage could provide some insights.
Anyway, I don't use consumer reports to decide on expensive hobby purchases anyway. Enjoy the riding seasons folks.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The big problem is Honda and Susiuki don't have anything on the showroom floor I want to ride.
Yep, I've ridden Honda most my life. I tried to love the F6B when I tired of my second VTX 3 years ago. A lot of my friends own it now. It just wasn't what I wanted.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
What's more telling than the rankings is that even the best of the best on the list has worse than a 1 in 10 rate of major problem in the 4 year study period. That really stinks for the entire industry!

Reactions: Darbinco

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
While it's true that results of a study like this can be bent one way or another, there certainly is no denying that, as was stated in the report, BMW has electrical problems. So, the question that must be asked is," has BMW dealt with these electrical problems?" I would like to think so as I don't believe I see/read about near as many electrical problems on Beemers as I used to. Hopefully the next time a comparison is done BMW "should" fair much better in the results. How about clutch problems on the last generation RT1200'S? That was a weak link for sure and quite costly to replace the clutch if and when needed.

I, like many others here, take these types of reports with a gain of salt. CB claims Consumer Reports has questionable testing parameters with motorcycles. That could be possible, but I and anyone with half a brain cell left in the heads is well aware of the history behind Consumer Reports and their constant bashing of American made cars. For many, many years they did not like American built cars regardless of what owners had to say about them. CR loved the Japanese built cars always clinging onto the reliability results of previous owners. It was for lack of a better word, HOGWASH. What CR did to the American automotive industry was no different than what Ralph the Mouth Nader did to the Corvair. Both instances were grossly uncalled for and put a real sour taste in my mouth for Consumer Reports and Nader. To understand the history of American automobile development you have to actually study it which they never did. If you are not old enough to remember, Japanese cars were absolute junk when they appeared on U.S. Soil, but they did have a few things going for them that made them attractive to the US car buyer, mainly purchase price!

So as I stated earlier, I take these reports with a grain of salt. I like what I like and Consumer Reports be damned. No one ever spoke to me about a survey like this, nor do I know any of my motorcycle owning friends that were contacted by them. Kind of like the people who when a Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.....Show me the winners!!! CR still clings to their love of Japanese products......

Rick H.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've owned a fair amount of Hondas and Ducatis over the years and one BMW. I can honestly say I had far fewer issues with my Japanese bikes. That being said, give me a Ducati or BMW over Honda any day. They are just more fun. I still have love for Honda but they are simply too sterile in comparison!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts