BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
CR has been darn accurate in some instances of pinpointing troublespots on certain car models in certain years. As owners of vehicles, especially as owners who participate in forums and see the experiences of others in addition to our own, we're in a good spot to assess the accuracy of some of the findings.

But... when you account for the numerous reports of CR manipulating data, IMO it taints the entire organization and relegates anything they publish to being nothing more than mere entertainment.

It's a real shame. CR had tremendous potential to be the definitive guide for just about everything we buy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a problem with these comparisons. They need to show the breakdown of the data for it to be meaningful.

The other problem I have is that If you look at the features across the product line ups, it immediately becomes apparent that the BMW products have more features than the product line up in the other companies.

Sorry, but without specific data to look at it, it's just fodder.

·
Outta This World
1,747 Posts
CR has been darn accurate in some instances of pinpointing troublespots on certain car models in certain years. As owners of vehicles, especially as owners who participate in forums and see the experiences of others in addition to our own, we're in a good spot to assess the accuracy of some of the findings.

But... when you account for the numerous reports of CR manipulating data, IMO it taints the entire organization and relegates anything they publish to being nothing more than mere entertainment.

It's a real shame. CR had tremendous potential to be the definitive guide for just about everything we buy.
I agree, CR has lost a lot of credibility over the years in my opinion, its a shame.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,889 Posts
You're going to agree with srt8... surely yea jest. You have no idea what you're getting into. :)

Duane

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You're going to agree with srt8... surely yea jest. You have no idea what you're getting into. :)

Duane
He must not have been here to have undergone the endless stupidity that we did. He's the lucky one :grin:
I didn't read the article, back then or now because it's just dumb for me to even care.
Without reading, I'd have to say that our bikes seem to be less failure prone if you gauge it in failures per mile but might be higher on the overall failures. BMW riders tend to put many more miles on their bikes than other bike owners.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,889 Posts
@Jonnybow, Srt8 was a troll and a total POS, he was finally banned for life from the forum by the Administrators.

Duane

·
Registered
491 Posts
@mkurup, I am with you 100%. Both Honda and Yamaha are incredibly reliable. I never had any issues, not even a switch or anything minor. Gas and oil change...period!!!!. And to work on them it is like a toy land. Having said that, my GA really spoiled me so bad that any new bike that comes out to the market has not ignited me so far. Yes, she will cost me in the next few years, I know, but it is ok. No bike out there like my black beauty. I had a guy with a new GW next to me getting gas, he looks at her and says, I think I did something wrong....mmmmmmm !!!! I said, as long as you did not steal or kill anyone, you are my brother. I replied, you can always trade in, no biggy. He was like.....mmmmmmm. Happy riding.....!!!!

·
Outta This World
1,747 Posts

Duane
Yeah, I am aware of the history, but also aware that the internet has impacted many of the companies I have to deal with in very negative ways. Even a broken clock is right twice a day (or something like that) right.. right? :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Having Owned a gold wing and being a member on the gold wing site, I found that those owners are very much in denial about any problems the bike ass. For instance, they are completely fine at the steering bearing is a significant problem and without holding both handlebars at all times you will experience a tank slapped. There are other very common problems as well, including transmission issues. But again, they don’t admit those are problems. To them it’s just the bike’s character. So yeah take these with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't need any reliability studies to convince me that I definitely want an extended warranty on my GTL for as long as I own it. A quick glance at parts costs convinces me.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I'm not arguing the result of this listing, but am refusing to accept any result of Consumer Reports without additional verification because to that company's agenda in so many automotive conclusions. E.G.: Montero rollover assertion where CR told the test driver to prove the rollover risk or they would fire him and find someone who will.
Yeah, I got your frickin evidence...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts