BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At Motorcycle.com we strive to research and test all of the latest bikes and gear. Over the past two decades, our experienced staff has developed a keen sense of quality and a critical eye for proper functionality. Because helmets are easily the most crucial safety item for any rider, we wouldn’t even consider riding without one, and since we spend so much time testing motorcycles all over the world we tend to spend a lot of time inside a lot of different helmets.

This experience has helped us understand what makes a truly great helmet. Although it may seem obvious to the most experienced riders out there, we also realize that picking the best helmets out of today’s large sea of choices may not be so easy for everyone else. It is for that very reason that we’ve prepared this guide to help you pick the best helmets for your riding lifestyle.
Read more about The Best Motorcycle Helmets at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The best helmet is one that FITS GOOD.

So, why, in this modern age of digital on demand manufacturing, don't any of the major brands make CUSTOM FITTED helmets ?

It's just EPS foam, inside of 3-4 standard shells, right?

So, use a 3D scanner to scan my head, choose the right shell, and a 3D milling machine can whip out a EPS inner shell that matches my (rather oddly shaped) head.

Bring the scanners to bike shows around the country and maybe even use a common database so customers can choose between different helmets.

How hard could this be?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The best helmet is one that FITS GOOD.

So, why, in this modern age of digital on demand manufacturing, don't any of the major brands make CUSTOM FITTED helmets ?

It's just EPS foam, inside of 3-4 standard shells, right?

So, use a 3D scanner to scan my head, choose the right shell, and a 3D milling machine can whip out a EPS inner shell that matches my (rather oddly shaped) head.

Bring the scanners to bike shows around the country and maybe even use a common database so customers can choose between different helmets.

How hard could this be?
+1, we can get custom made ear plugs, eye glasses, suits, pants, shoes why not helmets.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Schuberth is close to this.
You can mix and match several different liners within the same shell sizes.
Cheek pieces, top liners, and chin pieces are interchangeable within certain shell size limitations.
Works well 4 me with the Schuberth C3_Pro.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts

How hard could this be?
It isn't hard. It would be expensive.

Mass producing a few different sizes cuts the cost of manufacturing dramatically. Once you go to custom fit, you can expect a huge increase in cost. I'm guessing the current inner shells are injection molded in a matter of seconds per shell. Custom milling would increase that time to minutes or even 10's of minutes. That is a lot more factory time....and $$$.

That is why you can buy a set of reading glasses for as little as $5 (maybe less) but if you need a custom prescription, even a simple one, it is dramatically more.

Of course, some people might be willing to pay it. But would it be enough for the company to recover the costs of doing so????

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Aria is my choice for their long oval head shape (which I am)...I have yet to find another helmet that fits as well, as long or as comfortably. I'm afraid if they scanned my head they wouldn't find anything inside and they would take away my motorcycle endorsement...

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I have a Gentex flight helmet, the cost to make a custom molded liner was a additional $500, was it worth it, YES, would I pay the extra for a motorcycle helmet with a custom liner, yes, but remember my flight helmet doesn't have to meet DOT or SNELL standards, while your motorcycle helmet does, not sure of the economics of custom bike helmets $$$$

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Schuberth is close to this.
You can mix and match several different liners within the same shell sizes.
Cheek pieces, top liners, and chin pieces are interchangeable within certain shell size limitations.
Works well 4 me with the Schuberth C3_Pro.
Schuberth isn't as close to this as other manufacturers. Where other manufacturers- Arai and Shoei to name two-use multiple shells to accommodate different head sizes and shapes, Schuberth tries to cram everyone's different sized and shaped heads into only two different shells, each with the same shape. They offer an aftermarket liner in a half hearted attempt to accommodate different shaped heads than their shells do; but the liner's cover is of poorer quality than the fabric in their Pro series helmets and the liner cant help many with difdernt shaped or sized heads before the shells get in the way.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Schuberth isn't as close to this as other manufacturers. Where other manufacturers- Arai and Shoei to name two-use multiple shells to accommodate different head sizes and shapes, Schuberth tries to cram everyone's different sized and shaped heads into only two different shells, each with the same shape. They offer an aftermarket liner in a half hearted attempt to accommodate different shaped heads than their shells do; but the liner's cover is of poorer quality than the fabric in their Pro series helmets and the liner cant help many with difdernt shaped or sized heads before the shells get in the way.
While Schuberth uses only 2 outer shells, doesn't the inner shell come in more sizes?

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Have you considered Bell Helmets? Take a look. http://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-custom-fit
My first helmet was a Bell, in the late 60's and this is a great idea for those who are hard to fit or are looking for a better fit. I've been pretty lucky with a Schuberth but I know many who would like one but can't get fitted. I haven't looked and wonder about the cost and more details.

Where to get your custom fit on the road.... 1500 grams but no price. Orlando 10/15 might have to check it out.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-custom-fit#schedule

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I sent Bell an email from their website today, and haven't gotten a response yet. I really don't care about the cost. As often as my head is inside of a helmet, gimme comfort.

My head probably best resembles a hairy cinder block. It is also at least 64cm, so that really limits my helmet choices. Schuberth C3's come in 64/65 size so that's what I get, but it crimps the top of my forehead. Arai's long ovals are closer to my cinder block, but they are way too close in and press on my chin something horrible.

I just really wish Bell offered the custom fit in a modular helmet. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been using a HJC RPHA MAX. It's a modular, with the built in sun shade. It's the best fitting helmet that I've ever owned. I have a large head (7 7/8"). most of the dealers around the Denver area that have a good selection of helmets, seemingly could not provide me with a helmet that really fit properly. I normally would not do the mail order thing for anything that has to fit my body, but I called Revzilla, and talked to a fella that seemed very knowledgeable, he asked me a few questions, and recommended the above helmet because they actually have 3 different shell sizes, and I should buy the 2x size with the guarantee of a full refund, and no shipping charges if I needed to return it. I've had the helmet for almost 4yrs, and it works for me.

·
KBiK
1,785 Posts
Switched from a Shoei Neotec to Schuberth C3Pro. Very happy with the C3Pro.

Reactions: fourclowns

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
While Schuberth uses only 2 outer shells, doesn't the inner shell come in more sizes?
There is no inner shell in a Schuberth helmet unless you mean the EPS. There is only so much of this material that can be added or subtracted, or that Schuberth does add or subtract, before the size and shape of the helmet's shell gets in the way. Schuberth needs to use more shells of different different sizes and shapes if it wants to make helmets that fit more folk properly. A helmet that does not fit properly is not offering the max protection that one pays to get when they buy a Schuberth. For those who have heads that fit well inside a Schuberth helmet, it's a good helmet. For others like me, not so. I have an Arai Signet Q that fits my long oval head perfectly. Arai is Snell approved. Schuberth is not.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I have a Shoei shaped head. I'm satisfied with them. But the best helmet for you is the one that fits you the best.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought a Shoei Neotec, and am very happy with it. I bought a non modular Shoei RF1200 for use as a track helmet. Both fit me well, though the Neotec is more comfortable. I had occasion to make use of the RF1200 on a track day when I lowsided, and my my head banged the pavement. I felt it momentarily, ie it "rang my bell" but I didn't even have a headache and felt no ill effects for more than the initial seconds after. Not a major blow, but it did it's job.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
+1 on shoei notec. If you shop around you can save a few $. Brought my 2nd one from a place in Luxembourg. Not DOT approved, not sure if it makes a difference? Saved about $100 from the discounted price my DOT approved helmet cost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts