BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rolling my GT out of the garage this weekend ,I noticed fluid dripping off the rear of the front fender.The recent cold snap we had here in Phoenix may have done in my front shock seal.
Besides the O.E.M and Wilbers replacements,are there any other manufactures that other members have used?

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Stock, Wilbers with ESA, or Wilbers without ESA are your only options.

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
The recent cold snap we had here in Phoenix may have done in my front shock seal.
Having ridden through North Dakota winters, I can assure you that a Phoenix "cold snap" did not harm your bike in any way.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Having ridden through North Dakota winters, I can assure you that a Phoenix "cold snap" did not harm your bike in any way.
I would have to agree with you on the cold portion. My GT sits inside a non heated shop during the winter here in Minnesota for storage. It has seen temps down to -20 with no ill effects yet the last 7 years. Grant it, I DO NOT move it at all until temps warm up to the 30s or 40s and I am ready to ride it. Also, I DO NOT start it either until ready to ride it.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Grant it, I DO NOT move it at all until temps warm up to the 30s or 40s and I am ready to ride it. Also, I DO NOT start it either until ready to ride it.
I have ridden as low as 16°F with no bike issues. I did have a little squirt of front shock fluid escape from the '12 while taking it out of a U-Haul trailer but it was -10°F at the time... ?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm with the crowd here, my bike sits in a unheated garage all winter with temps down to 0F and lower on occasion.
The thought I had about the few guys who do have issues is that they let it cold soak for weeks/months and then move it while it's cold. It's very possible that a seal gets cold and when under pressure, it can leak. I wonder if those shocks will continue to leak once the weather is warm and stays warm. I've seen seals do crazy stuff on aircraft.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I wonder if those shocks will continue to leak once the weather is warm and stays warm.
Mine did not. I moved it from a heated garage in Bozeman to an unheated garage in Minot in January 2015. When I rolled it out of the trailer that night, it was -10°. It had been in that temperature for a couple days. It puked about a teaspoonful of fluid. I freaked out, went out and found a Zero-Mile strut on ebay. (It came off a static display bike and could not be sold as "new" anymore so they parted out the bike. I paid $250 for it...) After a few weeks it had not leaked again and I never replaced the strut. It is still sitting in the box. That was five years and 70,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have experienced significant cold weather front shock fluid loss (in a trailer) to the point where it was replaced under warranty on a 2018 GA with 300 miles.
I also saw a drop come off my new carryover 2019 B, that was in cold storage until Saturday.
Any idea the oil capacity of these sealed units, and at what point of loss, the shock performance suffers? I assume the oil cannot be replenished.

·
Registered
962 Posts
A few years back, it was 0°F in my garage and I needed to move my bike. Took it off the center stand and it immediately puked out a bunch of oil from the rear shock. Was still under factory warranty at the time, and dealer replaced the shock. If I had to pay for it, it would have been over $3500.
So yes, K1600 shocks are not tolerant of cold weather. Many threads on this already, so to say it was a coincidence is just drinking the Kool-Aid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a little different up here in Canada. I to had the dreaded drip. I went to the doctors he gave me some penicillin solved the drip. As for the cold I ride all winter last 3 days have been in the low teens and -10 with wind chill never had an issue. However if your drip persists I have some left over pills.
Always willing to help Gary.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Its a little different up here in Canada. I to had the dreaded drip. I went to the doctors he gave me some penicillin solved the drip. As for the cold I ride all winter last 3 days have been in the low teens and -10 with wind chill never had an issue. However if your drip persists I have some left over pills.
Always willing to help Gary.
To be fair you are measuring your temperatures in centipedes...

?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Not so Stephen. I am old I was taught FARENHEIGHT and never adjusted to CENTIPEDE.

Gary
Well hèll... That is cold then.... ⛄

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Not so Stephen. I am old I was taught FARENHEIGHT and never adjusted to CENTIPEDE.

Gary
You guys have spelling problems on top of the dripping problem. Just sayin':)

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
You guys have spelling problems on top of the dripping problem. Just sayin':)
Well, we could all be using the Kevin scale. Named for Kevin Bacon, of course.

?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts