BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Now, that tranny is still annoying, but I figured it out, a short throw kit and tweaking of the shifter size and height, she'll be fine.
I now have abut 200 miles on mine after installing the short throw kit and I couldn't be happier. Looks like DMAC has raised the price (I paid $180 and now it shows $225) and are out of stock, but IMO it's still worth the money.

Reactions: 1004ron

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
At least it ain't the doghouse! Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission! Congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I didn't ride a lot the last 20 years, work family, ect...
I have owned a 1999 Kawi 9r since new, and kept it pristine. I have toured lightly, done track days, and been a a holligan on it, but 'fraid those days are a bit past.

Started riding a lot more 2 years ago, mainly 100 mile Sunday mornings back road county blacktop stuff. We are a 5 months riding season area.
I still love my bike, but 100 miles is enough on it. I just plain get beat up.

I am looking for a stead to eat quiet miles, be hassle free, and be free of pucker moments.

I thought I adored the concept of a K1600 GT. So, last year I test rode an RT1250, GSA 1250, (just all while waiting on a 1600 to pop up I could test ride.
Today, I saw our dealer had a 2015 GT with 18,000 on it, and went down to ride it. However, an '18 Goldwing with 4ooo miles, was sitting next to it, and I rode that first.

This is my first time ever on either bike, with the only "big bikes" I've ever rode on have been Road Kings and the like, never a full bagged out unit.

I can physically handle either bike, the weight just was not a problem, and I could touch the ground well enogh on either bike. I still throw my 9 around quite a bit.

The GW was astonishing, just easy. The wind protection was top of the hat. Everything was as I have always been told. Competent, comfy, stable and moves well in all axis'

Then I rode the 2015 1600GT. Keep in mind, I went down there to buy the thing, yet here is what I discovered. I want to love the concept....but:

The shifter was inside my size 10 foot, and I had to rotate my foot in and concentrate to shift. ( I run fully adjustable race sets on my 9r)

The tranny was clunky and long throwed. I've read it is a crap shoot if you get a tight one. This one was not, and for 18k should have been tighter.

The rider pocket was loud and turbulent. I am used to no windshield and sitting on top of my bike, in full wind, but I've always had smooth flow coming off my screen. The 1600 was miserable, no matter the position of the windscreen. It was quite miserable.

The forged bars were narrow, compared to the GW and my extra wide ones on my 9. I have 3 foot wide shoulders, so thats always an issue on anyy bike. The bike was twitchy in a sport bike without the front weight bias kinda bad way. It flicked well at speed, and I am sure I could adjust to the handling. (The goldwing was just plain stoic in this regard)

Everything else was as described, good motor, handled well. Although I did experience some acceleration woblle I am not use to.
The Wing was far smoother in the front end

Here's the point of all the this. I walked in to buy that 2015 GT, to ride while I wait for setting up to order a 2023 1600 GT upon avaialbilty to do so.

I walked out really wanting to just buy the Wing and see how it goes.

I really am not old yet, but I want to enjoy the ride, the scenery, the air, the moments. I will not be chasing anyone around draggin knee pucks ever again, although the occasional power slide out of a corner will still happen on the 9.:)

My questions on the 1600, as they would pertain to a new one:

1. Is that tranny clunk and long shift throw normal? Is it improved on the 2022 bikes? Are there even any aftermarket rear sets to fix my issue with the narrowness of the stock set?
2. Does the 2022 fairing package actually work better than the 2015?
3. If I got a 2022 or 23 GT, would I actually like it, based on today's experience with the Wing?
4. Do I need to ride a new GTL? I think I can find one.

I know, I know it is all personal and find what I like and what works for me and so on.......But I really want to like the 1600 GT!

Thanks for all the posts, Ive been trolling for a couple of years......
All the things you noted on the K1600 are true, especially twitchy behavior, and that’s being kind. All the things you noted about the GW are true, especially the astonishing part. Those who tell you the 18+ Wings are still just competent and stable bikes hasn’t ridden one. They both handle very well in the twisties with the nod to the K bike. When it comes to straight line stability, the K bikes go from twitchy to downright unstable on the Grand America. It isn’t even close. The Wing is solid and stable while also being very quick..like sub 4 0-60 quick. Its fairly well documented. I’d be careful to not let your desire to love the K1600 influence what your experience has actually been. And yes I’ve ridden both and owned a K1600GT for 4 years and 30k miles.

·
Boom
751 Posts
I had bought a 2010 Goldwing in 2017. Had it for a bit over three years. It was a well designed and quality built bike. Temp gauge never budged even during the summer trips through southern Texas in triple digit temperatures. The stock seat was gnawing at me by the 800 mile point in a day…still, much better than the BMW stock seat. I felt that bike would run trouble free for 200,000 miles.

When I began considering improvements to make it a better long distance bike (for me), I had some concerns about the money I would be spending for the Russell Day Long seat, Clearwater lights, the older electronics the Goldwing had…and I had always been eyeing that big K bike. A couple test rides in 2019 sent me to the GTL purchase.

Much better acceleration and handling on the K-bike. The “improved” electronics have been a little disappointing. The stock seat sucked for my 6’ 3” frame, but I pretty much knew that going in. Getting the trailer Russell Day Long seat pushed my better half into even more turbulent wind, so I invested in a different windscreen…problem fixed. I have not ridden the newer Goldwings: I understand them to be more nimble and a bit quicker on the acceleration, but the amount of cargo space they shed was distressing. I’ve had two recalls thus far on my 2019 GTL…a bit disappointing. Kind of akin to the BMW X5 4.8is my late wife owned…excellent handling and fun to drive but the reliabililly and maintenance costs were atrocious. I’ve made adjustments to the seat, the sound system, screens for radiator and oil cooler, extra luggage racks, extra foot pegs…kind of brought it to the point of where I want it to be and I plan to keep the bike a long time. Many of the guys on here have posted great tips for maintenance of the K bikes and I have been learning to do a bunch of stuff on the bike for myself because of these helpful posts.. Figure out what might better the bike for you, just like any motorcycle selection.

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
All the things you noted on the K1600 are true, especially twitchy behavior, and that’s being kind. All the things you noted about the GW are true, especially the astonishing part. Those who tell you the 18+ Wings are still just competent and stable bikes hasn’t ridden one. They both handle very well in the twisties with the nod to the K bike. When it comes to straight line stability, the K bikes go from twitchy to downright unstable on the Grand America. It isn’t even close. The Wing is solid and stable while also being very quick..like sub 4 0-60 quick. Its fairly well documented. I’d be careful to not let your desire to love the K1600 influence what your experience has actually been. And yes I’ve ridden both and owned a K1600GT for 4 years and 30k miles.
I've never understood the "twitchy behavior" that some call out on the K1600. Yes, the B/GA bikes have been noted for issues, but they're the Bagger versions. If your thing is to do long distance performance touring, the GT/GTL models are the better choice.

On my GTL, I've ridden across the USA from California and back. My wife rode 2-up with me from the TTD in North Carolina to home in 3.5 days. It would have been just 3 days if we didn't have to hunker down in Louisiana to wait out a massive thunderstorm. There is no way I'd subject myself to the dangers of anything "twitchy" -- and certainly much less subject my wife to it. Maybe some confuse "twitchy" with "responsive". I don't know, but that phrase seems to be thrown around too casually and a little too much.

On performance, the GW is a step down in handling and speed. Just when the GW is hitting it's speed limiter, the GT/GTL can still give you the sensation of being shot out of a cannon. And yes, the GW can handle twisties, but be ready for some serious scraping while the GT/GTL is perfectly carving. Ride side-by-side with a 18+ Wing for a few hundred miles in real world twisty back country, and you'll see for yourself.

If you want more of a rolling couch experience with some limited sport capabilities, the GW is a better choice. The thoroughbred capabilities of a K1600 isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Welp, tomorrow is PICKUP day! Heading to the dealer to get the GT. Gonna rid about 450 miles home of backroads between Friday and Saturday morning. Hopefully it's comfy.

I am having the dealer install my Werks windshield before i take it, so that will be nice.

Hopefully no issues.:D

·
Registered
774 Posts
"
1. Is that tranny clunk and long shift throw normal? Is it improved on the 2022 bikes? Are there even any aftermarket rear sets to fix my issue with the narrowness of the stock set?
2. Does the 2022 fairing package actually work better than the 2015?
3. If I got a 2022 or 23 GT, would I actually like it, based on today's experience with the Wing?
4. Do I need to ride a new GTL? I think I can find one.

I know, I know it is all personal and find what I like and what works for me and so on.......But I really want to like the 1600 GT!

My response:

1. I have experienced the tranny two ways. With a full helmet riding aggressively and only lightly pulling in the clutch, not all the way, preloading the shift lever, it shifts with no clunks most of the time, except downshifting into 1st gear while the bike is still traveling with some speed. The shifts and snicks are imperceptable above 3rd gear. The other way was at the beginning when I pulled the clutch to the hilt, shifted without preload and at relatively low rpm, less then 3000rpm. Yup and there was a time when i could not get rid of the torque lash either. Running at higher revs like small displacement motorcyles cured all of that. Then I rod one day without a helmet and t-shirt, and yup this is one noise bike and not in pleasant ways either. A waring blender whine, yup on shifts i hear the metal, etc. I had Valk1500 for a long time, and that motorcycle made good sounds, same as the ST1100 and ST1300 although that did have the jetson hovercraft sound track going.
2. the 2015 works fine for me, ZTECH 20" after market shield
3. No. The Wing with the new suspension, maybe 2018 has it already, is like a Rolls Royce, K1600 is a sports bike trying to do the Rolls act. And, Hondas do not have the issues, some bizarre, like the 1600's did, although I have never had any mechanical issue with my 2015 k1600gt. But also, I can not get seat comfort on the k without help, same als most k1600 riders around here who use a Russell Day Long to the tune of $900. I need an airhawk for the k, never having had discomfort on other bikes with the exception of a k1300 which was worse. Even at that, I can only endure the k1600 for 2 hours, then I have to stretch, even though I stand up to get the kings out in those 2 hours.
4. The GT is different then the GTL in ergonomics. I could never take the low seat of the GTL. And the GTL handlebars are closer to the rider. I think the GTL was an afterthought for the Harley set thinking to switch.

You are a wing man. Me too. We both live in the USA not Germany. I just can't afford a new wing. By the way, the reverse on the wing works normal through a reverse gear, not a worm drive which would make a big diff if you have a big load, use it in the mountains, etc. The K1600 feels like smaller bike then the wing though. If I did all my driving in Germany, I would use my 2015 K1600GT. I do most of my riding in the USA and would prefer a Wing here. Different road and traffic conditions.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Here is how to decide between two options. Take a coin out of your pocket. Heads is GW, tails is BMW. Flip the coin. What ever comes up do you smile and say “sweet”, or do you say “let’s flip again and go two out of three”?

·
Registered
2011 K1609GT
23 Posts
Ive just moved allbeit much older from a 2010 R1200GSA to a 2011 K1600GT and i hear you on the gearshift being slightly clunky and i managed to miss one up from 2nd to 3rd which was a surprise. However after around 600 miles i was in the swing of it for sure and actually like the clunkyness of the gearbox. Think there is some adaption addition for making the gear change better the guy i bought mine from mentioned some kit from states.

As for the wind buffeting i also get you there, im tall at 6"4 so i was feeling it more from the side, the screen does a great job. Ive never ridden a GW but they look big beasts for sure. I really enjoy the sporty aspect of the K so i think the GW sounds far more sedate affair and pretty much a different machine.

Suppose its all down to what your after, sporty its the K if its comfort then got to be the GW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ive just moved allbeit much older from a 2010 R1200GSA to a 2011 K1600GT and i hear you on the gearshift being slightly clunky and i managed to miss one up from 2nd to 3rd which was a surprise. However after around 600 miles i was in the swing of it for sure and actually like the clunkyness of the gearbox. Think there is some adaption addition for making the gear change better the guy i bought mine from mentioned some kit from states.

As for the wind buffeting i also get you there, im tall at 6"4 so i was feeling it more from the side, the screen does a great job. Ive never ridden a GW but they look big beasts for sure. I really enjoy the sporty aspect of the K so i think the GW sounds far more sedate affair and pretty much a different machine.

Suppose its all down to what your after, sporty its the K if its comfort then got to be the GW.
I picked up a 22 1600 gt today. Had the dealer install a Klock werks 23 inch windshield.
Put 140 on before I stopped for the night.
It is everything I've ever wanted a bike to do.
The proshift works amazing. Just amazeballs..

21 - 33 of 33 Posts