BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess I'm easily confused. Tires are one of the most debated and perplexing products we put on our GT's and GTL's. I think the manufacturers have been listening (somewhat) to our complaints of short life, especially from the Z8 crowd. Now I see that Metzeler has stepped up and offered their re enforced version of the Z8 the "O" spec.

Many GTL riders have replaced the Z8's with PR3's, RS2's Pirelli Angel GT's all in an effort to get more mileage out of them. I have approximately 6700 miles on the original Z8's on my GTL. I'm soon to be in the market for some tires as these are cupped and showing some wear. I'm well aware that there are a lot of different factors effecting tire life such as, road conditions, pressure, temperatures, riding style, etc.

My question for the tire guru's here is can anybody make sense of Metzeler's website and designations of the tire specs? What's the difference in the O, M, E, C spec's? When you pull down the menu, you can see all sorts of labeling with little explanation.

Here's what shows on the site for tires that will fit the GTL.

Front

120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL (E)
120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL (M)

Rear

190/55 ZR 17 M/C (75W) TL (C)

190/55 ZR 17 M/C (75W) TL (M)

190/55 ZR 17 M/C (75W) TL (O)

I like Metzeler tires but not so sure these new ones will be any better than the other brands I've mentioned. Given the assumed price difference as well, the other brands may be even better. I've had high hopes for the Continental RA's but they can't seen to get their $h!!t together and bring a GT spec tire to market. Of course, as I'm typing this, Michelin throws out the PR4...

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Give them a try - what would it hurt?

My plan is to use up the remaining life of the PR3s, which by the way will fall short of 5K miles, then mount the Bridgestones I pulled off at 500 miles. I need them to last long enough for the release of the new Avons; due out in March.

One thing is certain - I will not purchase another set of the PR3s or 4s for that matter. Poor life, average handling and noise does not justify the premium price they charge. They have worn evenly, with very little cupping - I'll give them that.

So give the new Z8s a try and let us know what you think.

Sorry - I can't help you with the codes.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
17,102 Posts

·
Administrator
17,102 Posts
BTW: My next purchase will be the PR4.

However good the new series of Z8 is, if I can't see the end of life coming by looking at the tire, I don't want it. Going from good to steel cords twice taught me a lesson.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think it would be really helpful to have a chart from our experience with tires. I'm thinking brand, mileage, avg. weight, and avg. fuel consumption. Maybe a general indication of use, Sporty or Tourer.
The lowest mileage I've seen was with the Metzeler that came on the bike. That was about 8600 miles. Avg weight 385 pounds, that's some just me and some loaded 2 up. My fuel consumption averages around 38 or 39 mpg. Tire pressure 42/42. I did better with the Dunlop RS2, around 9500. I changed them because I was riding to CA. and I knew they didn't have 4000 more in them. They wouldn't have gone to 11000. I think that puts me in the Tourer category. I'm running Pirelli now,at about 7000, but since I had a puncture I'll replace them before I leave this spring.
I came across some tire comparisons at a "canyon carvers" website but there were a number of bikes used, none were 1600s. But the same general idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Revzilla offers the front in M as the alternative, and O as the rear alternative. Try the M & O, and let us know.

You must ride differently, or on different roads, than I do. 6,700 miles and counting?

From the Metzeler US site:

120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL (M)

190/55 ZR 17 M/C (75W) TL (C)

Tires for motorcycle Metzeler - Choose your best tire for track, road, touring, custom, offroad, enduro, scooter - Roadtec Z8 Interact

Metzeler North America
[email protected] or call in 877 202-4993
Yes RL, 6,700 miles and counting. In fact the tires don't look too bad. Other than the cupping and the subsequent roar in curves, they'll do for now but I want to have a set of new tires on hand when these without warning, start showing steel belts...

The cut and paste you did from the website is indicating the (C) for the rear tire. Any reason given? I thought Metzeler was steering 1600 owners to the (O) spec rear. The PR4's look promising if they'll have longer life. That's what I'm after primarily. I do ride hard from time to time, in the curves of the NC mountains (Tail of the Dragon), but I use my GTL for long distance touring mostly.

BTW, your superplug is the bomb. My buddy and I got one for our GTL's and did a fluid change in November. next up, I might have to have a radiator guard...

As for tires, I'll have to see what the price of these different brands will be. If the PR4's are considerably cheaper, I'll go with them anyway.

·
Administrator
17,102 Posts
Revzilla, a forum sponsor, has both the Z8 Os, and PR4s, in stock. So, pricing is easy to see.

For more info on the Z8s, I included the email and phone number for Metzeler in the US.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
BTW: My next purchase will be the PR4.

However good the new series of Z8 is, if I can't see the end of life coming by looking at the tire, I don't want it. Going from good to steel cords twice taught me a lesson.
RL,
I have a set new Z-8 Interact tires in my garage now. As soon as it gets back to riding weather here I'll be spooning them on and give them a try. I bought the M spec for the front and the O spec for the rear. I got BOTH tires for what I paid for a solitary PR-3 B spec rear tire.

A close look at the deep siping in the rear tire shows actual wear bars. They are not abundant as on the Michelins, but they are there. So, perhaps the good folk in the Fatherland do, on rare occasion, listen.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
23 Posts
E-Spec tire is OE sold on some motorcycle models as standard equipment
M-Spec tires feature a bi-compound design
O-Spec features a bi-compound design and a 2-ply carcass for heavy sport-touring bikes
(W)-rated for speeds of 168+ mph

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

·
International Man of Mystery
3,230 Posts
E-Spec tire is OE sold on some motorcycle models as standard equipment
M-Spec tires feature a bi-compound design
O-Spec features a bi-compound design and a 2-ply carcass for heavy sport-touring bikes
(W)-rated for speeds of 168+ mph

Holy thread resurrection, the tire in question has been superseded by at least one generation.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
6 years later, the question is definitively answered. There’s hope out their for some of my mysteries. No question left behind. Thumbs up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts