BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
All outdoor activities are up. Bicycles are basically sold out around here and used bicycles are commanding last years new bike prices. The local bicycle shop knows I have some old race bikes and offered to come pick them up and pay me whatever the customer gives them because they know they will sell a ton of accessories with each bike.

The barn where our horse is kept (more of a frigin horse spa based on what I pay) is packed every single day with new people coming in from the city to 'be socially distanced outdoors'. The local trails look like tour groups with hikers (all spread out) on them every day.

It doesn't surprise me that powersports (offroad) sales are up as well.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I can confirm that, at least at my dealership. A few weeks ago, when picking up my bike from service, I talked to Mike, the owner of Engle Motors in Kansas City, and he told me they'd had a couple of very good months during the Kung Flu shutdown.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Since the craziness started I have never seen as many bikes out riding. Actually makes me nervous as I am just assuming there are so many out riding many of them shouldnt be..

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Same in Alaska. The dealership where I got my bike (the Motorcycle Shop here in Anchorage) sold over 150 bikes in May. They were so far behind it took a week to prep my bike off the showroom 😆

·
Registered
25 Posts
Myrtle Beach SC here. Bicycle sales are through the roof. Its almost impossible to find a used bicycle this season, last year there were a ton of all types of bicycles available all over the place. My wife and I got lucky early in the season by going to bicycle rental businesses and asking if they were selling any older model bicycles. Found a beach cruiser in rough shape and put in some elbow grease to get it rideable again. Wife got hers from Letgo, in a little-tiny town 45 minutes inland from Myrtle.

On the motorized side, I am glad to hear that motorcycle sales are reversing the multi-year trend of sliding MC sales. We welcome the new riders to our awesome sport! On the licensing side, I know that in Connecticut all MSF BRC rider classes (state-mandated method for new riders to obtain a motorcycle endorsement) were suspended in April due to Covid and are expected to resume in August. Vermont just re-started their MSF programs recently.

I wonder what the ratio of new riders buying motorcycles to experienced riders upgrading or replacing motorcycles is...and how in certain states those new riders are getting licensed with these virus induced restrictions in place.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I guess with the money saved by not travelling for vacation, or even traveling, is being spent on other ways to get out of the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts