BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you’re a motorcyclist, odds are that you aren’t one of those car drivers that squats in the left lane plodding along exactly at the speed limit while everyone else stacks up behind you with their blood pressure nearing the bursting point. Then again, maybe you are one of those mouth-breathers who believes it is their God-given right to drive in whatever lane they want, no matter who it inconveniences. (If you are, we’ve got a special place in **** carved out for you to spend all of eternity listening to the Barney Song turned up to 11.)

While we’ve all experienced the aggravation of the left lane squatter, it turns out that slowing down traffic in the left lane is also a safety hazard because it forces faster drivers to weave back and forth between lanes, which can cause a cascading wave of deceleration in the right lane that further slows and stacks up traffic. Oh yeah, it increases the odds of an accident, too.

So, next time you see some doofus online, bloviating about how safe he is going the speed limit in the left lane instead of sticking to the right unless he’s passing, point him in the direction of the video below. While it probably won’t change the blowhard’s behavior, you might just inform some less experienced driver, like the narrator in the video, about proper lane discipline.
Read more about The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I find that this educational video describes it pretty well...

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
I find that this educational video describes it pretty well...

Life in the Fast Lane
Poop! I fell for that and thought the Eagles music was just the opening soundtrack for the "educational video". I won't mention how many seconds I waited...

·
Texas Thorn
2,405 Posts
Poop! I fell for that and thought the Eagles music was just the opening soundtrack for the "educational video". I won't mention how many seconds I waited...
Don't think you are all by yourself:wink:

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
At least I hope you enjoyed the music while waiting... :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Driving unnecessary on the left lane cost you € 140,00 in the Netherlands. The fine fore overtaking on the right side cost you € 230,00. Works fantastic. Keep your lane is not done here.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Hey, hey, hey! I love my Prius!

That hybrid engine/motor combo kicks butt... Some Prius *DRIVERS*, on the other hand, are too focused on digesting their latest meal of kale and juniper berries to be bothered to put that car to work.

"Cooking tip: If you put a tablespoon of olive oil into the pan BEFORE you put in the kale, after cooking the kale will slide more easily from the pan into the trash can."

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Squatters in Europe are rare compared to the USA and why I prefer to ride the toll roads there when I want to make miles.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks for the video, I plan to share it, although my opinion is, that it will do no good. Most drivers have passed the age of education when it comes to driving, and will only succumb to enforcement, which there seems to be little of, here in the States.

A couple years ago, my wife and I spent a month in Nova Scotia (Canada, by the way) and were impressed with the driving behavior. Looking down the freeways, for miles cars would only be in the right lane except, for a few in the process of passing. So I would show them how it's done here in Texas and drive in the left lane only (no, not really!). A point not made in the video is, if we could learn proper driving skills, there would be fewer freeway expansions necessary and less slow downs for construction. I suspect it would be hard to convince people that their driving habits, may be the reason that some of this construction is necessary.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the video, I plan to share it, although my opinion is, that it will do no good. Most drivers have passed the age of education when it comes to driving, and will only succumb to enforcement, which there seems to be little of, here in the States.

A couple years ago, my wife and I spent a month in Nova Scotia (Canada, by the way) and were impressed with the driving behavior. Looking down the freeways, for miles cars would only be in the right lane except, for a few in the process of passing. So I would show them how it's done here in Texas and drive in the left lane only (no, not really!). A point not made in the video is, if we could learn proper driving skills, there would be fewer freeway expansions necessary and less slow downs for construction. I suspect it would be hard to convince people that their driving habits, may be the reason that some of this construction is necessary.
A good majority of the drivers are past being educated, and moreover, just don't care. A few know the rule/law/etiquette, and will straight up tell you they want to drive in the left land and don't give a flying phuck that you want to go faster...it's your problem not theirs, they're going fast enough, and you shoulda left earlier. One guy told me (online of course...because there's no danger of getting your teeth knocked down your throat online) that he did it because the right lane had more potholes and bumps and would wear out his truck and tires faster. Said when someone got on his ass and flashed their lights, he slams on the brakes. I said "funny, when some azzhat parks in the left lane and refuses to move right, when I pass them, I usually swerve quickly in front of them and then slam on my brakes. He got pissy as he!! about that.

Bottom line in most states there's a law that deals with this...it's not just road etiquette, it is the law. BUT, most people really think the only LAW on the roadway is the speed limit, and all else is optional. I mean what does everyone one say if they get stopped and thinks they were not speeding..."officer, I don't think I was speeding". When I was a cop, I used to respond by saying "there's a big black book about 2in thick that is full of traffic laws...you violated one of the many other ones." Write someone a ticket for something other than speeding, running a light/stop sign...they're much more likely to argue on the side of the road and then show up in court and argue that they didn't violate any law because they didn't know it was a law, don't know how they violated that law they're charged with, or some other stupid excuse.

"a person is smart and nice, people are stupid azzhats"

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
My experience is that the people who park in Utah's fast lane are disproportionately from California. Certainly more than half. Just saying....

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have spent two separate months in Europe riding, once to Nordkapp from Germany AND once riding through the UK and France. The drivers there put us to shame! Really, shame! They know how to drive and focus on driving correctly. Stay in the right, unless to pass. People passing yield to the drivers in the right lane when they turn on their left blinker, because they know they will get back in the right lane after passing. No one passes on the right, no one! Trucks are predominantly in the right lane (except in UK, where they are in the left lane). It was like coming back to a third world country when I returned to the US. Yesterday I saw a traffic jam with six cars on four lanes, because each were traveling the same speed, side by side. It is disgusting!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey, hey, hey! I love my Prius!

That hybrid engine/motor combo kicks butt... Some Prius *DRIVERS*, on the other hand, are too focused on digesting their latest meal of kale and juniper berries to be bothered to put that car to work.

"Cooking tip: If you put a tablespoon of olive oil into the pan BEFORE you put in the kale, after cooking the kale will slide more easily from the pan into the trash can."
Perfect!?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts