BMW K1600 Forum banner

Would you follow The World Greatest Biker Rally?

• Absolutely, and I might participate

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yeah, but just as a spectator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh...Maybe

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to steal Ken's thread on the IBR, but would you potentially enter a rally with similar rules to the IBR, but on a provided bike and for prizes?

The bikes would all be mechanically similar and loaded out. All of the bikes could be on a "rally channel" for real-time communications. The bikes themselves could be dressed out like NASCAR with sponsors, and it is these sponsors with their fees which create a purse for the winners. Post-race the bikes could be auctioned off [to charity?].

Where riders today spend tons of money on their IBR bike, here they wouldn't need to - but there would be an entrance fee. Riders are vetted and accepted after taking an oath of sportsmanship.

A breakdown does not need to be the end of a rider, and a replacement bike could be delivered (they are all a standard platform with the right accessories).

Riders do not get the leg data ahead of time; just like the IBR, they have a short window to create a strategy. This rally would not run as interference to the IBR; it would be off the IBR schedule so that IBR riders could participate.

Would you find such a rally an interest to follow or participate in?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Interesting concept...

Sort of like the old International Race of Champions series, designed to compare driver abilities by using identically set up cars.

The thing is, I've spent a lot of time and miles getting my IBR bike set up to fit me perfectly. I'd kinda hate to have to give that up for a one-size-almost-fits-all solution.

And in fact, you could complete an IBR on a stock motorcycle, with something comfortable like the K16 making easy enough work of it. Well, except maybe for that seat... :bmw:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I remember hearing about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, limited to riders of American V-twins. This "endurance" rally started up by soliciting series sponsors and offering cash prizes. Riders were expected to follow a specific route, and whoever got there first won the big prize.

And the amount of cheating and foul play was staggering, to the point of riders removing street signs, sabotaging other bikes/riders, and lawyers getting involved to dispute the winnings.

That just doesn't sound like fun to me at all...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Pie in the sky, logistically. Never happen the way you are thinking unless Bernie Sanders runs it......
I'm out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts