BMW K1600 Forum banner

Thermostat housing cap removal

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  PolarBear60 
#1 ·
While cleaning the radiator I managed to break the "hose nipple thingy" on the thermostat housing cover. Does anyone know how to remove the cover? I couldn't find it in the DVD repair manual. Replacement is ordered. $32.

Thanks!
Automotive tire Grille Gas Bumper Hood

Hand Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper

See less See more
Discussion starter · #9 ·
Hi MotoTroph
I’m pulling my radiator out this wkend. How did you break that nipple ? Just so I don’t do the same thing during my attempt to be a Mech for a day.
I have Freddie Flintstone fingers hate working on fiddle bikes
I man handled it too much!

I'll take a photo of the hose this evening. It's the small hose. I removed the clamp and the hose was really on there. So I started to wiggle it back and forth and that's (I'm sure) what broke it. In hindsight, some sort of lubricant would have made this easier.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Hi MotoTroph
I’m pulling my radiator out this wkend. How did you break that nipple ? Just so I don’t do the same thing during my attempt to be a Mech for a day.
I have Freddie Flintstone fingers hate working on fiddle bikes
A photo of the hose as indicated on page 9 of the first file from @Arizona Jim.

Automotive tire Tire Finger Bumper Tread

Discussion starter · #17 ·
@MotoToph Im currently installing the thermostat but ** the cap on the thermostat is hard as ** to press all the way down, did you have that issue as well, cause I just need to insert the clip.
I did! I think I used silicon spray (?) to lube it up and then it was easy. Looking back at my post it was hard to remove as well. I do not remember if it has to be lined up a certain way.

You will feel it when it compresses.