BMW K1600 Forum banner

Thermostat housing cap removal

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  PolarBear60 
#1 ·
While cleaning the radiator I managed to break the "hose nipple thingy" on the thermostat housing cover. Does anyone know how to remove the cover? I couldn't find it in the DVD repair manual. Replacement is ordered. $32.

Thanks!
Automotive tire Grille Gas Bumper Hood

Hand Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Damian,
Do you have the maintenance DVD? If not or for those of you who don't have one here are some pages from it showing the removal of the radiator. They don't show the drain plug that is located at the bottom left corner of the radiator. It's a black plastic twist plug.

There are some body panels that will have to be removed that aren't shown in the pictures below.

I would suggest removing the front wheel to give you more room to work and then you don't have to remove the louvered piece until you get the radiator out. Also put some grease on the 3 grommets before reinstalling the radiator it will make things easier.

When refilling the antifreeze and bleeding the system have the bike on the side stand.

Give yourself a good 1/2 day for this job. Then go have a beer.

Attachments

#9 ·
I man handled it too much!

I'll take a photo of the hose this evening. It's the small hose. I removed the clamp and the hose was really on there. So I started to wiggle it back and forth and that's (I'm sure) what broke it. In hindsight, some sort of lubricant would have made this easier.

#17 ·
@MotoToph Im currently installing the thermostat but ** the cap on the thermostat is hard as ** to press all the way down, did you have that issue as well, cause I just need to insert the clip.
I did! I think I used silicon spray (?) to lube it up and then it was easy. Looking back at my post it was hard to remove as well. I do not remember if it has to be lined up a certain way.

You will feel it when it compresses.