BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the information/music I need while riding is contained/supplied by my iPhone 4. The RAM mount for the iPhone offers zero moisture protection, amongst other negatives.

The last long ride with rain during the tail end got me thinking about finishing the thinkbiologic iphone case mount. This was purchased a while ago but does not fit the K16000 very well, as the handlebar mount doesn't accomodate the K1600 bars. So, some radical surgery was in order.

Here is a picture of the handlebar mount, with the original on the left, and the modified part on the right. Took a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to it, cutting off the allen wrench fitting and the piece that wraps around the bar. These two parts are laid in exactly the same orientation, so you can see what was removed.

Then I drilled two holes in the plastic part, which match the two holes I drilled into a RAM mount, and bolted the parts together.

Here is what it looks like on the bike with a side shot and from the front.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
I'm leaning toward putting it under the clear top of a tank bag - maybe even use my iPad there with all my music, et. al. and run the BMW connector for it up to the bag. I verified that an iPhone/iPad will work fine in directly manipulating the display through the clear plastic map cover on the bag. I would be nice to glance down and see who's calling me or to see the big map there on my iPad.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why not just put it in the lower right compartment where it belongs?
It doesn't "belong" there. The right compartment is for an ipod or usb stick.

Including what 75CptRet wrote, I'll repeat what I wrote; "most of the information/music I need while riding is contained/supplied by my iPhone 4." That would include Navigon for GPS routing (which blows the doors off the crappy Garmin NavIV), Pandora radio & MOG for music streaming, myRadar pro for Nexrad weather radar, trackr! and SPOTConnect for real time tracking (so loved ones can track my location on long trips real time), etc.

None of that would work in the right side pocket.

I've been down the road of trying to use an iPad. It's just plain dangerous IMO to have it in a tank bag and try to manipulate the screen while riding.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The BMW tank bag has an indentation on top for an iPhone or similar sized device. The iPhone touch screen works through the clear cover.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It doesn't "belong" there. The right compartment is for an ipod or usb stick.

Including what 75CptRet wrote, I'll repeat what I wrote; "most of the information/music I need while riding is contained/supplied by my iPhone 4." That would include Navigon for GPS routing (which blows the doors off the crappy Garmin NavIV), Pandora radio & MOG for music streaming, myRadar pro for Nexrad weather radar, trackr! and SPOTConnect for real time tracking (so loved ones can track my location on long trips real time), etc.

None of that would work in the right side pocket.

I've been down the road of trying to use an iPad. It's just plain dangerous IMO to have it in a tank bag and try to manipulate the screen while riding.
I guess I didn't quite understand about nav and all the stuff. My Ipod shutdown as well so I am now using a Nano which has never quit. I am happy with the nano. You guys are getting a bit high tech for me. Sorry for jumping in there.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I didn't quite understand about nav and all the stuff. My Ipod shutdown as well so I am now using a Nano which has never quit. I am happy with the nano. You guys are getting a bit high tech for me. Sorry for jumping in there.
It's all good. I love the back and forth on this board. I'm the one that complained about the lousy layout of the NavIV input screen, only to be informed on this board that I could switch it to QWERTY. Doh!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are problems with Nanos, also. You are one of the fortunate few; and I hope, for you, that it stays that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts