BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the tabs on my 2015 GTL were $105....this year - a year later so the bike is worth less - right? Tabs for the year $248.00!!! If i could move i would...

·
International Man of Mystery
3,197 Posts
Last year the tabs on my 2015 GTL were $105....this year - a year later so the bike is worth less - right? Tabs for the year $248.00!!! If i could move i would...
just for me to understand. The tab is a registering fee for the bike that has to be annually renewed? Over here we pay a vehicle tax and a re-registering fee which is in total about what you pay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do NOT take this as bragging about Illinois. Most of us in the US know how bad Illinois is when it comes to government. Cars and trucks are $99 a year and motorcycles are $45 no matter what the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I live in California. You'll have to forgive me if I don't feel any sympathy about your government or your taxes.

Here they're trying to pass a new gasoline tax to pay to fix the roads. Really? What the **** am I already paying for? Oh ya, I'm subsidizing Mexico's citizens. How can I forget that?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I live in California. You'll have to forgive me if I don't feel any sympathy about your government or your taxes.

Here they're trying to pass a new gasoline tax to pay to fix the roads. Really? What the **** am I already paying for? Oh ya, I'm subsidizing Mexico's citizens. How can I forget that?
I wish they would raise road taxes everywhere to fix roads. Gasoline prices fluctuate a dollar a gallon based upon crude oil commodity price changes and we adjust just fine. A five cent per gallon tax increase would be a huge amount of money to improve roads.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I empathize with you.... And if I understand it right, even your property taxes jump all over the place too? Not much better here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.....just remember, there are much worse places to live :wink:

Reactions: Akspud and Morgan

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Nothing is free. Someone has to pay.

When I compare the financial impact of different states, or countries for that matter, a close look at all the different layers of taxation helps complete an accurate picture.

Many states have personal property taxes, which add to the annual tag renewal for vehicles. (Iowa being different for pickups.)

A couple of taxes I find unusual are: Sales tax on gasoline purchases in California; Special restaurant tax, which I've encountered in Nebraska and Arkansas. (Seems like punishment for having a meal in outside the home.)

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I feel your pain - why are your tabs cheaper than mine - ha ha

this year it's really going to suck as we have 4 pretty new vehicles 16 Tundra, 17 Forester and 15 BMW, luckily my wife's 17 RDX was bought in Feb this year

It's because of Sound Transit 3 and the gouge to get revenue for transit projects

Reactions: Akspud

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I am not complaining in Colorado I pay about $250 each annually for the tags on the K1600 and the RTP.
We have a gas tax and now the state wants to add a additional sales tax. At this time Electric and Hybrid vehicles get a free ride even though they are generally heaver then similar gas powered vehicles.
While like everyone else I don't like extra taxes something needs to be done so that electric and hybrids pay for their road usage.

Reactions: Morgan

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
$16 annual tabs here in Minnesota regardless of motorcycle worth...............BAM!

My K1600 costs more than my AWD Honda HRV, which the tabs cost about $325 annually.
Just hope the jokers running this state don't catch on to the tax they are missing here. :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I wish they would raise road taxes everywhere to fix roads. Gasoline prices fluctuate a dollar a gallon based upon crude oil commodity price changes and we adjust just fine. A five cent per gallon tax increase would be a huge amount of money to improve roads.
If they only used it for roads that would be great, but they don't......

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
A friend bought a rental property in Oregon which he uses as his legal address. He has a Bell helicopter, a Mooney twin engine high altitude airplane, 2 Tesla Roadsters, A GTL, a Mercedes, etc. I think he told me it costs $50 to register a vehicle there for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I just paid $40 to renew my GTL tag for one year, and it is a specialty/vanity tag (TWST NGO) which is a little extra. Guess there is some advantage to living in Florida after all.

·
Steve's Brother
6,243 Posts
What to you guys in the low cost vehicle tag states pay in property tax? We went through all this in another thread. There is no free lunch when it comes to paying taxes. They get it one way or another.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
You're assuming, of course, that the tax collected actually goes towards what the pols say it's for rather than going into a general (slush) fund. I don't share your faith in government to do what they say they will with our money.

Reactions: Morgan and Darbinco

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
A friend bought a rental property in Oregon which he uses as his legal address. He has a Bell helicopter, a Mooney twin engine high altitude airplane, 2 Tesla Roadsters, A GTL, a Mercedes, etc. I think he told me it costs $50 to register a vehicle there for 5 years.
Not quite that good for for that long, but still pretty good. Oregon just gets you in real property tax, income tax, and other ways.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I paid a one-time fee (equal to approximately three years worth of registration) in 2012 for permanent Montana plates. Any "recreational vehicle" (motorcycle, ATV, motorhome, etc), trailer, or motor vehicle 11 years or older qualifies for permanent plates in Montana.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Without becoming political, which is now forbidden, each state has financial needs. One way, or another, those needs will be provided for.

Looking at the annual cost of tags is but a tiny sliver. Very tiny.

As a general rule, the more social benefits that are showered on the bottom percentage of the state population, the greater the financial demand on those who work for their living. Facts are facts, just like 4th Grade math.

If I was dirt poor, by choice or necessity, I know which bluest counties within blue states I'd make my way to.

Both real property taxes and personal property taxes unfairly burden those who have worked hard to collect those assets. I tend to have a hard look at real property taxes as this was the way most lost their property during the Great Depression, not mortgage default.

Texas real property taxes for homeowners run right at 2.5%/year. Texas allows seniors to stop paying property taxes at 65, collecting them from their estate plus interest.

Nevada real property taxes, outside special fancy neighborhood assessments, run 1%/year.

California says they are 1%, but there a lot of gotcha add-ons, let alone the recapture of lost taxes should you sell you property for more than it was assessed at.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts