BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another little gem from Ryan at FortNine. I, like most here, use rope plugs when I get a flat. They've never failed me (knock on wood) and I ride the tire, afterwards, as if there was never a hole in it. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
I love that guy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great video - I watched it yesterday.

And I also have the rope plug kit in my top cast at all times.

·
Premium Member
6,701 Posts
I carry all 3 of the external plugs he demonstrates and have used all 3 to a varying degree of success (and failure). I won't (bore, boar) you with the road side stories but by far the most successful (for me and my fellow riders) has been the sticky rope plug. It's the most difficult to use but then what else do you have to do on the side of the road with a flat.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I have more experience with plugs than I care to ever have again with my last rear tire. In the end, gummy worm with lots of glue was the best. I rode without worry of catastrophe. Still had to keep a pump and plugs with me and won’t journey without them at this point.

Reactions: Muchmore

·
Registered
511 Posts
How curious that he still sells that deadly tire repair kit. $59.99 and free shipping! I prefer the rope plug, but I've got a tire on a 4-wheeler that was plugged with that very mushroom easily a decade ago. Still doesn't leak.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I've used both the mushroom and gummy plugs. I've also had success and failures with both. That's why I carry both in my tire patch bag.

·
Administrator
17,348 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Point to note; 3 standard CO2 cartridges included in some kits are not enough to inflate a rear tire, unless you've managed to save some air by doing the repair with sticky string really quickly. Suggest whatever solution you choose, a pump is a handy thing to have.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,701 Posts
As long as we are on this subject a word of caution. If you get a puncture on your rear tire get the bike up on the center stand as quickly as possible. If left on the side stand and the tire goes completely flat the bike will want to fall over on the right side. Ask brother KCMO_Steve about that. He caught it before it went over. It's a bugger to get up on the center stand with no air in the rear tire.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as we are on this subject a word of caution. If you get a puncture on your rear tire get the bike up on the center stand as quickly as possible. If left on the side stand and the tire goes completely flat the bike will want to fall over on the right side. Ask brother KCMO_Steve about that. He caught it before it went over. It's a bugger to get up on the center stand with no air in the rear tire.
I can vouch for the fact that it's an ugly, evil bítch to get on the center stand when the rear tire's flat. When you weigh under 200 pounds it is, anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
It's a bugger to get up on the center stand with no air in the rear tire.
You’re not wrong. Thought I lost a plug last fall on a Saturday ride with the wife. TPMS indicated and I got off the road ASAP at a gas station conveniently located but across the divided highway. It was dead flat as I hit the parking lot. I was worried it would come off the bead. Turns out I got an additional puncture from something on the road and not a lost plug. Getting it on the center stand to perform the repair was....a strain. I think the wife helped!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ve had perfect results with the mushroom plugs on the two rear tires I’ve needed them. The only failure (to hold air) was on the pickup, but that repair was fairly close to the tread edge so it had a low probability of success.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep, Safety Seal. Got one in the wife's car, and until I recently replaced tires on my pick-up There were a couple in it, and I put one in the rear tires on the big ole big trucks a couple times a week. Had one in the rear tire on the GTL for over 6k miles, twice.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have more experience with plugs than I care to ever have again with my last rear tire. In the end, gummy worm with lots of glue was the best. I rode without worry of catastrophe. Still had to keep a pump and plugs with me and won’t journey without them at this point.
After that ventilated rear tire we still made you ride in back so we wouldn't have to see it happen 🤣

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Many years ago Progressive Suspension used to sell a motorcycle tire repair kit that contained a 68 gram CO2 cartridge, which I still have as a back up and supplemented with an additional 68 gram cartridge. So 2 cartridges and the kit still packs pretty small, although I’ve never had to use it. I use a MotoPumps brand inflator as my primary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts