BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here on the forum with experience with driving at night with those yellow-colored glasses ? Do they really give you a sharper image ? And what's the effect in night-time driving in the rain ? Anyone who has the clip-ons for putting on your regular glasses (I am a prescription glasses wearer) ? If so, what make do you have ? Or, does anyone know of manufacturers of such yellow visors, to replace the sunvisor (not the main visor) in a BMW System 7 carbon helmet ? Particularly interested in answers from Europeans...

·
Bubonic
1,319 Posts
I use yellow glasses frequently during the time that could be called twilight. It's not light any longer but it's not dark. I don't know about any expensive or fancy brands to recommend but what I can recommend is that the yellow lenses do improve my vision until it gets dark and then I put on my prescription glasses. Not very helpful but it does confirm that they can be helpful and practical.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wear them and in my opinion they are marginal at best at cutting glare or making it easier to see stuff during periods of decreased visibility. I like to ride with my visor up so the yellow colored glasses keep bugs out of my eyes more than they do anything else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wear them and in my opinion they are marginal at best at cutting glare or making it easier to see stuff during periods of decreased visibility. I like to ride with my visor up so the yellow colored glasses keep bugs out of my eyes more than they do anything else.
You must have done ur vis test with the "$1.99 special" sun glasses.....

·
Texas Thorn
2,534 Posts
I used them in goggles back in the enduro days for heavy clouds to rain...visibility sharper....however I could not tell the difference between mud and dry dirt.....busted my a$$ a couple times and threw them sum bucks away!

·
Registered
2012 K1600GT
2,186 Posts
I use Gargoyle yellow "Shooters" generally on overcast days. They increase contrast. I don't ride at night.

Joe

·
Registered
589 Posts
Anyone here on the forum with experience with driving at night with those yellow-colored glasses ? Do they really give you a sharper image ? And what's the effect in night-time driving in the rain ? Anyone who has the clip-ons for putting on your regular glasses (I am a prescription glasses wearer) ? If so, what make do you have ? Or, does anyone know of manufacturers of such yellow visors, to replace the sunvisor (not the main visor) in a BMW System 7 carbon helmet ? Particularly interested in answers from Europeans...
I wear Ray Ban R4151's brown/yellow tinge made in Italy for sunglasses. They remove the glare, yet brighten up the scene and the colors are true. I do not wear them at night though, but have used yellow sun glasses in the past in darker places but can't draw a bead on when and where, too long ago. Wouldn't do it in the tropics, or where bright sun dominates like the Iberian peninsula, but in central Europe's variably cloudy weather they'd work fine. For a long time, yellow headlights were mandatory in France, they do enhance light, by reducing glare back in fog, haze, and snow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have an inexpensive pair of yellow glasses I use at dusk they sharpen everything up I don’t like really riding at night anymore so I try to avoid that program but when it happens then I will just wear clear glasses depending on the helmet not always in a full face I prefer my carbon fiber three-quarter helmet for my Road Glide And my 1600 B Full face on the K 1200 S and my tiger 1050 With a clear shield

·
KBiK
2,052 Posts
I use a Adidas sport glasses to ride with graduated prescription lenses. I have two sets of lenses which snap in and out of the frames. One set is yellow for night driving and the other set is dark grey for daytime. The lenses are quite thick which I like as they provide valuable protection when I raise my visor.

I love the yellow lenses at night as they increase the contrast but also provide a little dimming of bright headlights.

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW K1600GT Sport
89 Posts
I am going to buy one of those original yellow sunvisors for in my Neotec II for this time of the year, and switch it back to to the regular ones in the spring. See if it works for me.
Banana Fruit Saba banana Plant Banana family

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Since BMW helmets are 99% made by Schuberth, it shouldn't be a problem to find out if (and which) of the sun visors are compatible. For example, for the C4 series it is this Yellow Hi-Vision sun visor. if you look at the attachment system to the winding mechanism in the helmet, it might fit???
I rode with this screen for a while, but it did nothing for me and the resulting effect (price vs performance) was not worth it. rather, the placebo effect works: if it costs so much money, it must work :)
If I should derive from skiing: I ski a lot (alpine & downhill) and a yellow goggle visor can be reasonably used in specific conditions, but beware: this is about the effect of the reflectivity effect from the snow compared to the surrounding scene, so on a motorcycle this parameter will not be so relevant?
More generally: yellow and amber coloured glasses are ideal for outdoor sports, especially in the snow, as they filter out blue light that can be harmful to vision and reduce glare from snow while improving contrast and depth perception.
As for glasses: a lot of experience will be cyclists and triathlon runners, I would try to inquire about the appropriate type of glasses on their specialized forums.
What about trying polarizing? It's about eliminating glare.
Polarising lenses are particularly effective for eliminating glare. You can think of them as windows that have microscopic blades. Light can only pass through them from certain directions, so light reflecting off shiny or brightly lit objects and objects in the environment cannot pass through the lenses.
And now it's just a matter of trying which ones fit in the helmet:
- Adidas, Oakley, Bollé, 100% S2, Rudy project, Uvex
Rectangle Font Cylinder Metal Fashion accessory
;)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Physical laws of optics, safety, legislative measures. Primarily, the point is that in low visibility and then at night, darkened/coloured/polarised glasses and visors experience a loss of light or, for some tints, an undesirable shift in the spectrum of perceived colour versus real colour (for example, at traffic lights it is necessary to see the proper full colours and not and in fast driving distorted colours) with a possible shift in the spectrum. In addition, unwanted scattering and loss of light spectrum with tinted glass is also more pronounced in rain (refraction of light on water droplets) and reflection/reflection of light from wet roads.
This tends to apply to cheaper glasses , not necessarily the full quality (and expensive) ones. But the manufacturers, as a matter of principle, cover their asses for sure with all types of tinted or polarized lenses and visors.

·
Registered
2021 K1600 GTL
31 Posts
Yes, I wear "Shooter glasses" when I'm riding in early morning or dusk conditions. Definitely makes a difference, at least for me. Don't think I would replace my helmet sunvisor with one. Easy just to swap out sunglasses once it gets brighter. Also, trying these out:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts