BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a very specific question to the masses on something that I know you have thought about. I'm just looking for the best practice and lowest probability for issues to occur.

Today, I was heading home on a somewhat busy, single lane going each way, small town New England road. The road is a 35 MPH zone so we are not talking fast speeds. I needed to make my normal left hand turn onto a small residential street. Normally, as with any turn like this I love when I can just trail brake right into the turn without stopping.... for stopping with moving traffic behind you has its inherent risks I know. Today, I had to stop and wait. I understand keeping an eye ball on the guy behind me and I always have the bike ready to go to escape the oblivious non stopping cager behind me. What I have also done in the past, is hold my middle lane while stopped, not middle road, but middle lane.

Today, while waiting to get a chance to turn, the idiot behind me tried to go past me on the right. Of course there was minimal room with him rubbing the curb on his right wheels and basically came close to dislocating my right elbow with his left mirror. The rage that goes through me makes my helmet become two sizes smaller but hey, he is in a car and I am on two wheels. I get it. Thankfully another car stops on the other side to let me turn and he is shaking his head for he saw my potential peril.

Finishing the ride home I started to think if I should "hug" the center line while stopped and blinking and let cars pass more easily on my right. I don't think that is what I should do for a number of reasons but I'm wondering what goes though your mind during that common scenario. I would say this was a rare idiot but I've seen people think about doing this many times before. This guy went for it.

I realize wider roads, shared turning lanes in the middle of the road and other various conditions can allow for the "sharing" of the same lane. If your familiar with New England roads, this was pretty much a lane only passage. One that is common up this way.

Better technique or just another idiot?

·
Flying Dutchman
101 Posts
Both in driving school and in advanced rider courses I was always told to stop in the normal spot on the road, so just left of center in your lane, when wanting to turn left and having to wait. Cars coming form behind can sometimes pass, bigger trucks/vans/semi's will just have to wait! Too bad for them, but my safety comes first...

Hugging the center line is really a bad idea and asking for trouble, with people not keeping distance and whizzing past you if you are lucky and hitting you if they are not careful. Roads in Europe are generally much narrower than normal in the USA, so probably similar to New England.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
If you can leave enough room to allow them to safely pass while not crowding the center line, do it. If you can't leave enough room to allow them to safely pass, then take up enough space such that they're not encouraged to try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Better technique or just another idiot?
Endless amounts of IDIOTS. Depending on the scenario, and how close they get from behind, at some point I draw the line and pulsate the brake lights or even put on the hazard lights...believe it or not upon approaching my left turn, I may also wave my left arm up and down for them to see to possibly interrupt them from texting or one on many other things. You are invisible to many of your fellow motorists for various reasons.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can leave enough room to allow them to safely pass while not crowing the center line, do it. If you can't leave enough room to allow them to safely pass, the take up enough space such that they're not encouraged to try.
This is the sound advice I learned and the common sense that I have applied over the years with my riding. This scenario I determined that I was owning the lane, but apparently he didn't and tried to pass. I think from now on I will command more right of center, rather than left of center in that single lane. Make the guy go over the curb at that point. No shortage of stupid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can call me paranoid but I will go out of my way to avoid taking a left turn where I have to stop with traffic behind me. There is an intersection in Colorado at Colorado Blvd and Hwy 7. The speed limit is 60. Stopping to take a left there is asking to get killed. So I take a right there, go up and turn around and come back thru under the control of a stop light. People never respect the lanes if its a car or a bike. The postal service creates routes where the only turn in an entire route is right hand turns for the carriers.

Sure if its clear and I can go left without stopping I will, but in traffic never.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a few 55 (aka 75) MPH highway roadways here as well and numerous MC's have been wiped out from behind over the years. I do the same and find the right turn and light to navigate those. Wouldn't call it paranoid, I'd call it smart.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My mindset and using your scenario and when having to stop to execute a left-hand turn (waiting for oncoming traffic to clear) I generally don't give any room for the cagers behind me to be able to pass to my right.
Something that you said which I think is critical is that I make sure I have safely slowed the traffic behind me; I would hate to become someone's hood ornament as I go flying off the back of the bike!

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Always take that left from the left side of the lane. Never ride in the center of the road, commonly referred to as lane position 2, unless you like riding in oil and debris. Always leave at least 3 car lengths in front of you any closer creates a blind spot where vehicles from the side can't see you. Always travel +10 to the speed limit unless your in a school zone. Never leave on a green light without checking traffic both ways. Always check your mirrors when approaching a traffic light that just turned yellow, if you have a car close behind you run it, if not come to a stop. If the the thought comes to mind CAN I MAKE IT ....................... DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another thought when riding two lane roads in remote areas, mountains, or areas where tree cover is heavy and lots of curves. Here in my area, certain roads in particular, I always ride close to right side of road, especially in tight curve areas where visability is all but blocked. This helps to protect me from those drivers hugging or crossing centerline in the curves. It gives me a safer position when one of those drivers pops up from around the curve..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always take the middle line under my GT if I have to stop. But there has to be endless traffic if I were to do that... 10 m between the cars is enough for me to turn, it's safer!
If the road is wide enough, I might even park the bike a little bit on the opposite side. Then you leave room anyone behind you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I take a right if I can if I have traffic behind me instead of sitting still waiting to turn left and do a Uturn to cross the road at the intersection if there is one. Otherwise go to the next available turn left or right. If there's no way to do any of that I slow down way in advance so the cager might figure it out and also stay a little left of the center on my lane to avoid the oil in the center so when I do have a chance to turn I'm not crossing the slippery stuff on the road. And leave enough space behind the vehicle in front of you so can see if there will be a gap to cross as you approach the left turn and try to time the turn without stopping at all.

·
Soupa Mod
2,646 Posts
If the road has a gravel shoulder I pull to the left tightly. They are going to pass me anyways so I don't give them the opportunity to fling gravel. I have had that happen to me.

If the road has a curb then I take the full road and angle my bike so I cannot be squeezed by.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I had to deal with that constantly, I’d either move or give up riding. No “technique” is going to save you from idiots approaching from behind. It’s only a matter of time before you end up a statistic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts