BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a very specific question to the masses on something that I know you have thought about. I'm just looking for the best practice and lowest probability for issues to occur.

Today, I was heading home on a somewhat busy, single lane going each way, small town New England road. The road is a 35 MPH zone so we are not talking fast speeds. I needed to make my normal left hand turn onto a small residential street. Normally, as with any turn like this I love when I can just trail brake right into the turn without stopping.... for stopping with moving traffic behind you has its inherent risks I know. Today, I had to stop and wait. I understand keeping an eye ball on the guy behind me and I always have the bike ready to go to escape the oblivious non stopping cager behind me. What I have also done in the past, is hold my middle lane while stopped, not middle road, but middle lane.

Today, while waiting to get a chance to turn, the idiot behind me tried to go past me on the right. Of course there was minimal room with him rubbing the curb on his right wheels and basically came close to dislocating my right elbow with his left mirror. The rage that goes through me makes my helmet become two sizes smaller but hey, he is in a car and I am on two wheels. I get it. Thankfully another car stops on the other side to let me turn and he is shaking his head for he saw my potential peril.

Finishing the ride home I started to think if I should "hug" the center line while stopped and blinking and let cars pass more easily on my right. I don't think that is what I should do for a number of reasons but I'm wondering what goes though your mind during that common scenario. I would say this was a rare idiot but I've seen people think about doing this many times before. This guy went for it.

I realize wider roads, shared turning lanes in the middle of the road and other various conditions can allow for the "sharing" of the same lane. If your familiar with New England roads, this was pretty much a lane only passage. One that is common up this way.

Better technique or just another idiot?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I only make right turns. It takes a little longer to get to my destination and piles more miles onto my bike than it would otherwise, but I get there eventually.

Reactions: Kuzman

·
Preema
1,057 Posts
I have a similar situation on my ride home from work. I sit in the middle of the road and start to slow well short of the turn with the indicator on. It might annoy the driver behind, but that car is forced to stop behind me and wait (as they would have to for a car making the same turn). Now I can take my time if I need to wait for a gap or just ride through. Either way my back is covered by the car behind...

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I only make right turns. It takes a little longer to get to my destination and piles more miles onto my bike than it would otherwise, but I get there eventually.
LOL. That also is the way to get out of a maze. ⤵

·
Registered
193 Posts
I second what Donna said. If you don’t leave anywhere enough room, that stupid maneuver is blocked out. As you said that you’re watching your mirrors, beware of the same mentality trying the left side. If only a brain was required for a license...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I second what Donna said. If you don’t leave anywhere enough room, that stupid maneuver is blocked out. As you said that you’re watching your mirrors, beware of the same mentality trying the left side. If only a brain was required for a license...
Just hope that the driver coming up behind you actually sees you and stops. If it's a maneuver you have to execute frequently, at some point your clock is going to run out. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Glad you are OK and I also agree with Donna.

Funny thing is I was already thinking that when I read her post. I've taken a number of advanced riding courses that drill in to your head own your lane and your space. Yes it may irritate a few drivers at times but we don't have air bags and a cage around us.

I also remembered after I read the post that Donna is an instructor..

Bad drivers unfortunately we can't do much about. I'd use stronger language but this site has a nanny filter.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched him approach the whole way in my mirror. As I moved my elbow away from the slowly approaching mirror I just starred at this guy as he drove by...he gave a look like...oh crap...maybe I should have waited.
I do find that the everyday driver in a car doesn't worry about other everyday drivers in cars...but they generally don't want to pee off a dude on a MC. Not to everyone...but dude's on MC's look a little more unpredictable to the general public. Kinda like knocking over the bikes in front of the bar...something you want to avoid in life. I'm sure I would have cried if he hit me though.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Often in that kind of situation if I see I will not be able to make the turn without blocking traffic for quite some time I will continue along until I see an opening where I can make the left turn then either find a different way to my destination from there or go back the other way and make that initially desired left turn into a right turn.

·
KBiK
1,632 Posts
+1 on own the lane.

I also have lots of lights on the rear of the bike to ensure I can be seen. Top Box brake light, flashing Clearwater Billie Brake light, Skene LED P3 Red conspicuous running and brake lights, plus Skene P3 Yellow turn signals on the pannier.

Reactions: Kuzman and Gunnert
1 - 11 of 11 Posts