BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 GT 10,300 miles. This issue has my dealer stumped as it is an intermittent problem. I’ll say the occurrence is about one out of every 20-30 engine start cycles. Start engine and it instantly revs to 2100 rpm, throttle unresponsive as if disconnected. Check engine lights displays. Shut off bike and restart, issue is resolved. No check engine lights are displayed. Bike runs normally. Dealer looked into this seriously during transmission recall. He couldn’t find anything, they recorded the issue in my record and were hopeful that just reconnecting the harness would remedy the situation. It hasn’t!

·
International Man of Mystery
3,556 Posts
What you see is the'limp' mode of the engine, that engages when there is a throttle body or throttle grip malfunction. If the check engine light comes on, there a code will be recorded in the ECM, stored as a historical code for some time and if it does not reoccur, it will be wiped. So if you have this again, please go immediately to you dealer and have him read out the failure codes and go from there.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If yur dealership can't figure it out, try cleaning your ECU contacts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i hope this might help my bike was cutting out when it was on warm.up on the center stand no codes were showing on the bike and at the dealer
the bike was then connected online to bmw germany that can look deeper into the bikes ECU more so than the dealer do you know if this has been done ?
my bike problem was cured when bmw seid replace the dash assembly
mine is a later model like yours

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same exact issue about a month ago on my 2018 GTL. Technicians did an update on the ECU all has been good since then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same exact issue about a month ago on my 2018 GTL. Technicians did an update on the ECU all has been good since then.
Thank you. I was just on a trip to GA from FL. Arrived at my friends house shut the bike off in his driveway and had great difficulty restarting it after it sat for a good 90 minutes . It took several tries but finally got it started. I'm heading back to the dealer hopefully with better luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At long last the dealer tracked down the issue and all error codes point to a defective throttle body. Fortunately under warranty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts