BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

looking for some help. I have a 2019 K1600B. I started to notice a ticking sound as I approach 4,000 rpm. It’s most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear. The faster the engine revs, the faster the ticking sound. It’s driving me nuts, but mainly I’m concerned if it is normal or not.

This is my first BMW, so just don’t know if this is how the big 6 cylinder engines sound or if something is wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello everyone -

looking for some help. I have a 2019 K1600B. I started to notice a ticking sound as I approach 4,000 rpm. It’s most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear. The faster the engine revs, the faster the ticking sound. It’s driving me nuts, but mainly I’m concerned if it is normal or not.

This is my first BMW, so just don’t know if this is how the big 6 cylinder engines sound or if something is wrong.

Thanks!
I had an issue similar and ended doing my own oil changes and used Amsoil. Noise got less and less and now runs sweet so I put it down to crap oil that a dealer put in. Lifter or valve sticking issue.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Upside Down
1,183 Posts
CF, are you sure it is not the injectors?

Reactions: scojoe

·
Registered
41 Posts
For me.... it was a ticking when engine was good and hot and a couple hundred miles into my day. Fresh oil helped.
My BMW mechanic had a listen and pointed out that 6 cylinder mill has an awful lots of moving bits and pieces and some ticking noise is to be expected and is especially noticeable given how quiet our cockpits are.

Having said that... if it doesn't sound like normal engine noise, get it checked out if only for your own peace of mind.

Reactions: CF1222

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just did an oil change with a genuine bmw filter with castrol synthetic motor oil. The bike sounded really quiet until it got hot. It wasn’t as though there was a problem but the difference between cold, normal and hot ambient temperatures really made a difference between those ranges.

My advice would be to try the easy stuff first. Try a fresh oil and filter change and see what effect it may or may not have. I know oil brand discussions are like beating a dead horse so just form your own thoughts on which ever brand of oil you use if you do decide on an oil change.

Some people may scoff at the idea of fuel additives but it’s also worth a shot. On my other bikes I have used marvel mystery oil and I‘ve even used 2-stroke oil as a fuel additive to 4-stroke motors. Those oil based treatments worked well on my carburetor bikes. Be aware that using an oil based fuel additive may reduce your fuels octane and that could spell disaster for engines that require high octane gas like say, a K1600. Make sure you try any remedy one at a time and make notes of its reaction and then move onto the next phase for a solution.

Good luck and please tell us if you discover anything.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's a young bike, under warranty, so talk to your dealer if it concerns you - make sure it is noted formally against your bike/VIN & not just passed over.

We can only have a wild guess & the facts don't quite add up IMHO - engine speed related you say, yet only in 2nd &3rd gear? When was the gearbox recall work done?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a young bike, under warranty, so talk to your dealer if it concerns you - make sure it is noted formally against your bike/VIN & not just passed over.

We can only have a wild guess & the facts don't quite add up IMHO - engine speed related you say, yet only in 2nd &3rd gear? When was the gearbox recall work done?
Thanks Squibb. I’m not aware of a gearbox recall. Possible it was done by the dealer before I bought it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did an oil change with a genuine bmw filter with castrol synthetic motor oil. The bike sounded really quiet until it got hot. It wasn’t as though there was a problem but the difference between cold, normal and hot ambient temperatures really made a difference between those ranges.

My advice would be to try the easy stuff first. Try a fresh oil and filter change and see what effect it may or may not have. I know oil brand discussions are like beating a dead horse so just form your own thoughts on which ever brand of oil you use if you do decide on an oil change.

Some people may scoff at the idea of fuel additives but it’s also worth a shot. On my other bikes I have used marvel mystery oil and I‘ve even used 2-stroke oil as a fuel additive to 4-stroke motors. Those oil based treatments worked well on my carburetor bikes. Be aware that using an oil based fuel additive may reduce your fuels octane and that could spell disaster for engines that require high octane gas like say, a K1600. Make sure you try any remedy one at a time and make notes of its reaction and then move onto the next phase for a solution.

Interesting enough, just had my first oil change (800 miles) 3 weeks ago. Used my usual mechanic, not the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the counsel. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m thinking that the noise you’re hearing “may” be related to the brand of oil used for your last oil change.

Squibb has the best advice. Your bike should be covered under factory warranty. See your nearest dealer with a formal complaint for the noise. Also confirm if your transmission recall service was performed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m thinking that the noise you’re hearing “may” be related to the brand of oil used for your last oil change.

Squibb has the best advice. Your bike should be covered under factory warranty. See your nearest dealer with a formal complaint for the noise. Also confirm if your transmission recall service was performed.
Great advice. Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I have noticed in the last year, (maybe I never noticed before), that ticking/knocking/rattle sound with my 2012 GTL and also with a customers 2012 GT recently as well both with around 30,000 miles.
3rd gear around 30mph. Today I rode my GTL and the ticking/knocking/ rattle sound goes away the second you pull in the clutch .... eliminating what I thought may be a U joint on the drive shaft. I notice it slightly in 4th however outside noise may drown it out do to additional road noise as a result of the additional speed. Noise is amplified when driving around the neighborhood do to the sound bouncing off the buildings on each side and is prevalent when the throttle is equal to speed.. I.E. no load....(no accelerating or decelerating). Noise goes away on acceleration and deceleration ... or maybe I cant hear it? But I think it goes away.
Reving the engine with clutch in ....there is no tick/knock/rattle.
Thinking this could possibly be slipper clutch related. No load with low speed (so you can hear it !) ???? Maybe? They do rattle at idle in neutral but not quite as loud.
Please let me/us know the dealer diagnosis if you would ! Thanks Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2018 gtl did the same thing tapping noisie in 2nd 3rd 4th gear had the transmission recall done and the noise is gone shifts very nice now. it is transmission or clutch its not engine noise

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone -

Thanks!
I have 2018 K1600B and after about 1500 miles the ticking sound started. Have taken to two dealers and they claim they can not hear it. I wear both half shell and full helmets and its very easy to pick up with the half shell, which I asked the dealers to do, but they would not let their techs ride with a half shell. I am very concerned about the noise, and switching oils did not resolve the issue on my bike. Any ideas?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Anyone with a 2017 or later bike, must be aware that their bike will have been the subject of the recent gearbox recall. That includes 2019 inventory that may have sat around on showroom floors prior to sale in 2020. This work was carried out by dealer techs, not experts from the Mother-ship, so anything unusual in the gearbox department needs reporting promptly. We appear to have several here.

If you are hearing strange noises or odd gear-change behaviour, then it make perfect sense to raise your concerns formally, elevate through to the dealer principal if necessary & then to BMWCS if you remain unhappy. It is important that you put a stake in the ground, to preserve your rights under warranty - gear cassettes don't come cheap when it's your dollar.

·
Upside Down
1,183 Posts
Anyone with a 2017 or later bike, must be aware that their bike will have been the subject of the recent gearbox recall. That includes 2019 inventory that may have sat around on showroom floors prior to sale in 2020. This work was carried out by dealer techs, not experts from the Mother-ship, so anything unusual in the gearbox department needs reporting promptly. We appear to have several here.

If you are hearing strange noises or odd gear-change behaviour, then it make perfect sense to raise your concerns formally, elevate through to the dealer principal if necessary & then to BMWCS if you remain unhappy. It is important that you put a stake in the ground, to preserve your rights under warranty - gear cassettes don't come cheap when it's your dollar.
The recall included the 2016 K1600 bike up to current models here in Oz. I have to say I was a bit concern when I found out my brand new GTL. , was to be done by the dealership instead of BMW HQ here in Australia. As for any concerns my dealership took their time did an excellent job, plus as a plus, they replaced the gasket that BMW won't pay for and the oil even though the bike was brand new just out of the create and did not charge me 1 cent. That is first-class service on their behalf.

Reactions: kotr
1 - 19 of 19 Posts