BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hi guys,

My dealer tells me BMW have authorised them to change the Frame as well as the Engine. Why they don't just replace the whole bike is another question as is what they intend to do about the warranty. Assuredly I will be without a bike for several months yet :mad:
At least on the plus side, you will almost have a brand new bike so just might be worth the wait and a great New year present to boot. You won't have to worry about the gearbox recall as that will be done with the engine and gearbox replacement. Congratulations this just goes to show if you are consistent and keep working towards a result it will happen sooner or later. :wink::grin:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Congratulations, you're at least getting somewhere with this. Just as others have said I'm surprised they don't just replace the bike. Donate it to a Tech school and ditch the Vin number. Plus I would think it would be cheaper for BMW to do that. Either way good for you!

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Congratulations, you're at least getting somewhere with this. Just as others have said I'm surprised they don't just replace the bike. Donate it to a Tech school and ditch the Vin number. Plus I would think it would be cheaper for BMW to do that. Either way good for you!
Cheaper in the short run, but maybe not a precedent they want to start.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi guys,

Any views on the propposed re-build. For instance, will a re-build be as good as a new bike? I assume when the bikes are built in the factory they are assembled on jigs assuring alignment etc?

The new bike warranty ( 2 years on UK bikes) will expire shortly after work is complete, with bike having spent very nearly 30% of it life in the workshop. Compensation/Extended warranty?

Before I respond to BMW your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
@Prince, are you sure the VIN # is stamped on the frame? I had to change my carrier (front end) last year and dealer had to order VIN # plate/sticker which is attached to the carrier.

Duane

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
@Prince , if I was the OP I'd make sure the carrier VIN # matches the new frame just in case it's overlooked when the frame is swapped out.

Duane

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am confident the VIN will be stamped or permanently attached to the frame.

Here is a pic of my RT frame and VIN.
I believe this is true. I’m pretty sure US federal law mandates that motorcycles (cars too, perhaps?) must have the vin permanently placed on to the major components like the motor, the transmission, and the frame as way to combat theft, and as a provision for registering customized builds. I’d assume other countries have similar rules

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I believe this is true. I’m pretty sure US federal law mandates that motorcycles (cars too, perhaps?) must have the vin permanently placed on to the major components like the motor, the transmission, and the frame as way to combat theft, and as a provision for registering customized builds. I’d assume other countries have similar rules
Today's fun fact is that became US law on Jan 1, 1968. With Canada and the US having a fully integrated auto industry it became defacto here in Canada too.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Frame replacement and a new motor? If my bike required that much warranty work, they could just buy it back from me or swap it out for a new bike. I kinda have a hard time believing BMW would even put that many man hours into a project like that for such little gain. They are giving away a frame and a motor, the two most expensive parts of the motorcycle, might as well give you a new bike and save the hassles and labor costs in dealing with the old one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The frame "is" the bike. It has the vehicles VIN on it. I don't know how they can replace the frame on your bike.
There's no issue with replacing the frame. Generally, the "new" frame will inherit the VIN from the original frame and the original frame will be destroyed, just as would happen for a crash repair that isn't classed as a total loss.

Returning to to Tony's questions:

Swapping the frame and motor shouldn't be an issue (think of it in the same way as a major crash repair) as long as the dealer doing the work is competent, but it's a lot of work. So that sort of ties in with the warranty question as I would require that any defects that arise due to the dealer's rebuild work be rectified at their cost for a reasonable period after completion, say 6 or 12 months. I would also expect a minimum 12-month warranty on the new engine / transmission.

My personal position would be to thank BMW for their offer but suggest that as they are intending to replace both the frame and the engine / transmission, that you would prefer that they simply replaced the whole bike with a new example. They would probably argue that this would result in you being in a better position (as you would end up with a new, higher value, machine), but that could be countered by offering a modest contribution towards the swap. The fact that your own bike has been unusable for 30% of your ownership period would be a good bargaining point regarding the size of any contribution.

You mention that the bike has a UK warranty, but I see that you're located in Austria? That has potential to complicate matters as it could involve different supplying dealers and different distribution territories, but I don't see why any of that should be insurmountable.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The frame "is" the bike. It has the vehicles VIN on it. I don't know how they can replace the frame on your bike.

Just register the new frame number with the V5 (UK) against the registration. Its not illegal. As long as its not stolen of course

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
A UK build in Austria, that means you don't have the benefit of the headlamp adaption

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Hi guys,

My dealer contacted me today. BMW have authorised a New Engine and Gearbox unit be fitted, on the downside it will not be available until February. Work continues on the "Left Pull" issue. I have suggested they consider replacing the entire bike considering the number of outstanding problems......if you don't ask etc ;-)

Will keep you informed.

Regards,

Tony
I would gracefully reject the offer. The dealer is likely not set up to build an entire bike which is the scope of that repair. Chances that something will go wrong a high, just think of moving the entire wiring loom from one bike to the other without factory training and tools . Horror.................
Work with them and ask for a trade in with favorable conditions. Worked for me in a slightly different set of circumstances.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cheaper in the short run, but maybe not a precedent they want to start.
Very possibly true, although several manufactures have done this through out the years. Really not anything unheard of and it's always going to be their choice to do it voluntarily or fight it out in court.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi guys,

Once again thanks for your responses so far. I am concerned about a Frame change, the work involved and wether or not, if done, it will leave me with an inferior bike?

Anyone here have experience of a Frame change?

The Left Pull was bad on my bike. Will this have put any strain on the Suspension elements for instance? How easy/difficult is the transposition of Electrical Looms etc. Any other problems foreseen?

I'm trying to get a balanced view that will lead me to accept the Engine/Gearbox/Frame change or request a total replacement. I want to be fair to all concerned including BMW. All I want is an equitable solution providing me with what I paid for, a BMW K1600 GT LE that works and performs as designed. When the bike is fixed sometime on or after the end of February, should the replacements go ahead, my bike will have been in a workshop and out of use for 30% of its life.

Anyway, be that as it may, your comments and experiences on Frame changes would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

Regards,

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
If this amount of work was required because of an accident the bike would be written off.

With this amount of work it is not the same bike and if there are any telltale documents or signs of this amount of work you will take a large hit with depreciated value. In fact, selling it in the future may be almost impossible.

With changing the frame and the new frame having a different VIN who pays the registration sales tax?

With this amount of work will there be a warranty for the same duration as a new bike?

Why does BMW want to invest this amount of time and money to replace a bike with known serious problems?

My thoughts are it is in everyone's best interest to simply come to a deal to replace your bike with another one.

Good luck Tony.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts