BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
@Prince , if I was the OP I'd make sure the carrier VIN # matches the new frame just in case it's overlooked when the frame is swapped out.

Duane
Plus I would be making sure all the numbers are on your registration details and logged against your bike's details so in the future no one can dought that it has not been rebirthed.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well done John. I did a similar test riding my bike for 1000kms (600 miles) on behalf of the dealer, no hardship there. That was back in October 2019 waiting until March for a new engine/gearbox to arrive with the recall work done. They also fitted a new frame to correct the left pull. Alas Covid19 will delay testing of the new frame and possible delivery still further.....bad timing but what to do.

When the dealer opened up my engine they could find no fault, yet BMW HQ still authorized a new unit. Keep pushing am sure they will do the same for you.

My next question to the dealer will be, has all this oil going through the Catalytic Converter damaged it? The question of the frame is another matter entirely.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
When the dealer opened up my engine they could find no fault, yet BMW HQ still authorized a new unit. Keep pushing am sure they will do the same for you.
Ditto on my '12 motor a couple of years ago with 49k miles on it. I was burning a quart of oil every 600 miles.

Duane

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well done John. I did a similar test riding my bike for 1000kms (600 miles) on behalf of the dealer, no hardship there. That was back in October 2019 waiting until March for a new engine/gearbox to arrive with the recall work done. They also fitted a new frame to correct the left pull. Alas Covid19 will delay testing of the new frame and possible delivery still further.....bad timing but what to do.
Thanks for posting this topic. I’ve known about the problem since a long trip last summer, and have been sitting on it. You (and others here) encouraged me to get off my butt and take aggressive action. :)

When I talked to the GM, he was fairly positive BMW would approve action. And that was even when he believed I was outside his mistaken 1 qt every 600 miles number. I’m paraphrasing, but he said In these times, BMW doesn’t want to deal with possible negative fallout if I file a complaint directly.

I don’t want to jinx things, so for now I’ll just be cautiously optimistic. I have a bad feeling that I’m not going to see the bike for a few months. I just want it back by June. I have a few big trips planned for the summer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm glad your dealer corrected their statement on oil consumption. 1 qt every 600 miles would mean adding 10 qts between oil changes. LOL

Good luck to you and afhorsley on getting a positive resolution to your issues.

Zach

·
Registered
409 Posts
A quick update. My GTL has been with the dealer for almost 2 weeks now, so I called the Service Manager yesterday to get status. They've performed compression testing and their other BMW check list items, and at this first pass the bike is OK. They proceeded to ride it 300 miles (I'm guessing over several days) to measure oil consumption. They measure by weighing the oil before and after. They were actually in the process of draining the oil for measurement as we were on the phone. He said they'd be putting a report together to send to BMW later in the afternoon for approval to proceed with tear down activities. With the virus and slowdown of everything, he couldn't say for sure when he'd hear back. He said it's usually 1-2 business days, but who knows now. If I don't hear from him first, I'll check in the end of next week.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I finally get my bike back in 2 days with a new engine/gearbox to correct the oil consumption and a new frame to correct the Left Pull issue. Have also fitted a new set of Mezler RT 01's. Am still somewhat dubious about the Left Pull. Time will soon tell.

BMW hav also given me a 2 year extension to the factory warranty on all parts. The weather is set fair so will soon add 1,000kms for the first service. Will let you know how the Left Pull has or has not been fixed, especially as the new tyres wear in.

Stay safe.

Tony

·
Registered
409 Posts
I finally get my bike back in 2 days with a new engine/gearbox to correct the oil consumption and a new frame to correct the Left Pull issue. Have also fitted a new set of Mezler RT 01's. Am still somewhat dubious about the Left Pull. Time will soon tell.

BMW hav also given me a 2 year extension to the factory warranty on all parts. The weather is set fair so will soon add 1,000kms for the first service. Will let you know how the Left Pull has or has not been fixed, especially as the new tyres wear in.

Stay safe.

Tony
Tony, congratulations! I look forward to hearing updates. My new engine is probably still in Germany. It might require a donkey cart to deliver it to the US, but it will get here eventually.

You give me hope. Going luck.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Managed to put 300kms on the bike 2 days ago. So far so good. whilst being guarded regarding wishful thinking, the engine is singing like a bird when I give it a brief squirt as per break-in instructions. The gearbox is smooth and positive.

The Left Pull has been greatly diminished, lets say 90%. She still favours going left but nothing like before. I have one note of caution that only time will resolve. In the past, pre new frame, a new set of tyres helped. On one occasion I thought the problem had been solved, only for my hopes to be dashed once the new tyres had bedded in after say 500kms. Fingers crossed this does not happen again.

As an aside BMW gave me a further 2 years BMW warranty on all parts and labour.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts