BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
I’m running Perelli Angel 2 GT and I keep them around 46. I have 17K on these tires.
I had a tire rep from another company tell me to run 48 in my Avons… The side wall said 42.
That’s just my experience. I’m getting ready to get some more Perelli‘s and I’m going to get the “A” series this time; hopefully I’ll get the same kind of mileage.
….Like the man said, this is what I do; you do you!
Ed
It really depends on the load put on tires. The average EU male weighs around 170 pounds, and rides short distances. The average US male weighs around 270 and loads up for long distance rides, including tool kits, all the gear from the candy store, and a companion also twice the weight of the manufacturers country average adult. Yes, tire pressure matters when the load difference gets to be over 100 pounds and the riding style is agressive and the rider has anxiety.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
It really depends on the load put on tires. The average EU male weighs around 170 pounds, and rides short distances. The average US male weighs around 270 and loads up for long distance rides, including tool kits, all the gear from the candy store, and a companion also twice the weight of the manufacturers country average adult. Yes, tire pressure matters when the load difference gets to be over 100 pounds and the riding style is agressive and the rider has anxiety.
Where did you find this statistic?? :oops:

·
Premium Member
2016 K1600 GTL
17 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I noticed the manufacturer suggest over 40psi...I can only assume that would be for a fully loaded down rig...what pressures are you running?....seems like over 40 is gonna prematurely wear out the tires..thx!
I noticed the manufacturer suggest over 40psi...I can only assume that would be for a fully loaded down rig...what pressures are you running?....seems like over 40 is gonna prematurely wear out the tires..thx!
Like most of the responses you’ve gotten no stick to manufacturer specs but what I’ve found and what drives me nuts, is figuring out which gauge to believe. My TPRS will read one thing while the digital pressure gauge will read another. Add insult to injury and the air pump gauges will read yet another figure. I end up trying to average between my digital gauge and the air pump; gets me ‘close’ on the dash readout.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B
374 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Anecdotal evidence garnered from today’s ride.
Prior to departure, garage temperature approximately 70°F, I checked tires with my (fairly accurate) dial type analog pressure gauge and adjusted both F/R to exactly 42/42 psi.
My wife and I climbed aboard and set off [BTW, together and geared up we add approximately 420 lbs to the bike]. As soon as the tire pressures appeared we had 41/41 indicated from the TPMS. OK, from this I say the TPMS is fairly accurate and consistent. After a few miles the tires had warmed and now indications were 44/42 where they remained for a couple of hours. We stopped for lupper and were off the bike for approximately 50 min.
Jumped back on and indications were now 43/42 where they remained for another 1.5 hours or so until reaching home. Arriving in garage I again checked tires with dial type analog pressure gauge, and observed 45/46 (residual heat being released from the rubber without the cooling effect of the slipstream??).
I did not panic….just went in the house and typed up this report. Need to go buy a Mega Millions so I can buy all the motorbikes I want (LOL).

·
Registered
62 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Appears that only one person in the thread has had any experience with lower pressures...and the rest are all missionaries
I have a '22 GA and lowered the pressure to 40psi to give it more stability on the highway, it did help. I now have 1000 miles on it and going in for service soon. I'm sure they will put it back to 42psi.

·
Registered
2018 K1600 Grand America
108 Posts
@Wunhotttuna , good [luck] at running higher pressures than recommended by the manufacturer; hope you don’t need it.

Duane
Thanks. I just turned 75, have had Two open heart surgeries within 6 months of each other; rode again both times on the 40th day post op, for a total of three aortic valves in 14 months. Both Hips done, dental implants, fractured right elbow, deemed unfixable, and 3 Christmases in VietNam with the Marines. I’m much more impressed with prayers than luck. But thats just me, you do you 😇.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,451 Posts
Thanks. I just turned 75, have had Two open heart surgeries within 6 months of each other; rode again both times on the 40th day post op, for a total of three aortic valves in 14 months. Both Hips done, dental implants, fractured right elbow, deemed unfixable, and 3 Christmases in VietNam with the Marines. I’m much more impressed with prayers than luck. But thats just me, you do you 😇.
ok, I’ll pray for you running higher tire pressures than recommended by the manufactures. I hope you don’t need the prayers. Just remember, if you’re going to be dumb, you have to be tough. …

FWIW, thanks for your service. I too served a bit.

Duane

Reactions: J-Luv
81 - 93 of 93 Posts