BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears the battery in my rear TPMS has died. Naturally BMW never planned for the battery to be replaced, but instead requires you to purchase and replace the entire sensor. Just wondering if any one has ever tried to open the sensor and replace the three dollar battery. Imagine I will have to spring for the new sensor, but plan on taking the old one and see if it can be opened and the battery replaced. Naturally, if I am able to do that, I won't know if the old sensor actually works or not. But it might be a good way to kill an afternoon. Anybody ever tried this?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I saved a set of bad ones for just this scenario. If/when my current ones fail, I might take a dremmel and grind out the putty and replace the battery and then fill em back in.

Reactions: Northsquad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Northsquad, thanks for the link. I did use the search tool on top, but I guess I didn't ask the correct question.

·
Registered
2014 K1600GTL Damask Red
436 Posts
Northsquad, thanks for the link. I did use the search tool on top, but I guess I didn't ask the correct question.
Don't worry about it. This forum's curmudgeons don't seem to understand that a forum is inherently repetitive, and it's not supposed to be a stagnant archive of information. It takes just as long to reply with a helpful answer as it does to say "try the forum search" but the culture here is to not actually respond to questions and send everyone to the search. I don't get it. But whatever. It's rude and dismissive IMO.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
Don't worry about it. This forum's curmudgeons don't seem to understand that a forum is inherently repetitive, and it's not supposed to be a stagnant archive of information. It takes just as long to reply with a helpful answer as it does to say "try the forum search" but the culture here is to not actually respond to questions and send everyone to the search. I don't get it. But whatever. It's rude and dismissive IMO.
As someone that does use the forum search feature, I feel its the courteous thing to do, and its actually in line with the forum rules.

I expect that the forum owners and administrators had a reason for the below, which is most likely to make the search results more meaningful and useful.

POSTING RULES:
1. Post new threads in the correct forum category; each category includes a brief description of what belongs there. Threads in the wrong forum will be moved to facilitate searches for information of that type.

In addition...
  • Do NOT post complaints about forum staff, warnings/infractions/bans, or site policies. Direct these matters to any Administrator or Moderator privately via PM and allow time for them to respond
  • Please welcome all newcomers with friendly advice about how to find info & resources and get involved in our community - If you can't be friendly, be quiet
  • Begin a new thread only if the subject matter has not already been posted. Like threads may be merged w/o notice

·
Mr.Fix It
8,725 Posts
Don't agree with your ; "...takes just as long to reply...". In this and most other cases there are hundreds of replies/suggestion/photos/response. All available via the "Search" site.

Duane

Reactions: Northsquad

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
Yeah, good luck with that. Welcome to the intarwebs
Luck is always great, but I consider it a courtesy and sign of appreciation to the likes of Duane and others that have put effort into tutorials and pictorials, and not to expect them to repeat themselves over and over.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
What's rude is someone who speaks outta turn, like you! I guess you're too cool to try the link I provided him, instead you run your mouth uniformed, and you call people you don't even know names. You're a whole new level of loser, not even kind enough to make a donation here, just let others pay your way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can get a cheap spot welder on Amazon too. The one thing I worry about is the potting compound. I don’t want acetic acid fumes from RTV inside the wheel.

Personally, the search is so clotted with crap I don’t blame you. Plus IIRC the DIY tutorial I onve found didnt include the spot welder revelation.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
514 Posts
I saved a set of bad ones for just this scenario. If/when my current ones fail, I might take a dremmel and grind out the putty and replace the battery and then fill em back in.
Please post that project if you have to do it!

Luck is always great, but I consider it a courtesy and sign of appreciation to the likes of Duane and others that have put effort into tutorials and pictorials, and not to expect them to repeat themselves over and over.
I think the search feature here works great and yes it seems that a lot of questions could be answered when using it. Especially, technical things on the bike since they haven't changed much over the years. Unless of course something new or updated comes along.

As a new K owner since May, I am enjoying and appreciating going through the early posts by @RL Lemke. Right now I'm concentrating on his maintenance and riding gear topics.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Try the KTM TPMS sensor. Much cheaper and works. I had to dremel the small hole so that the BMW bolt/screw would fit through it. GS911 to get the ECU to recognize the new serial number and violla, new sensor is a perfect replacement.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,725 Posts
I don’t THINK you’re wasting your time changing a battery on a TPMS. I KNOW you’re wasting your time. I’ve taken one apart. But, it’s your time, if you want to waste it, go ahead.

Duane

Reactions: 1004ron and coyotek

·
Registered
K1600 GT SE 2011
22 Posts
...I KNOW you’re wasting your time...
Surely that depends on the value of someones time, to them, which will vary massively between people. In my life my hourly rate has varied from UK£5 an hour to UK£500 an hour for example. Also, often, people enjoy a challenge and would prefer to spend a weekend accomplishing a task rather than spend $10 the simple way. Each to their own I suppose.

Reactions: flyergc
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.