BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many if not all of us have or will have to deal with the dreaded TPMS battery dying issue. At a retail price of around 225.00 per wheel, it is an expensive repair.
I came across this article in Adventure Rider and they addressed this issue.

They sourced the OEM for BMW and found the sensors for $27 USD, plus $108 USD for the tool to assign the sensor a hostname. Please keep in mind I have not tried these products and they are for a GS. The part numbers are 1 digit off from the K1600s. (see URLs below).

However I am going to reach out to the OEM and see if they have a direct replacement for the K1600s. All I can say is that the markup from BMW is so horribly inappropriate that a write in campaign and making this type of thing public knowledge might effect some sort of change.

https://advrider.com/aftermarket-r1200gs-tpms-rdc-sensor-replacement/

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=56288&rnd=07242017 (GTL sensor, note part number)
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=52024&rnd=07242017 (GS sensor, note part number )

I went to Amazon and input the part number and found this which appears to be made in GB, but I wouldn't bet the farm on country of manufacture. But at ~USD 37.00 it's a bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNCGHS7/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A14R9Q198JFF5T&psc=1

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I brought a pair of Chinese exports, identical in every respect to the BMW original. I forgot to write the code number down (maybe it wasn't there), but the bike didn't recognise the sensors until i brought an activator and GS911 was set to learn the values

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long has it lasted so far, and has it been accurate?

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
I installed the eBay Chinese TPMS in the carbon fiber wheels about 2 years ago. So far, no issues. Did not have to use GS911wifi to get bike to 'see' new TPMS; just rode it for about 10 miles, all good.

Duane

·
Registered
411 Posts
I installed a Chinese TPMS module about 6,000 miles ago. I did have to wake it up with a reset tool and pair it to the bike with GS911. It works fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
My rear TPMS was dead when I recently bought my 14 GT and the front one has glitched a couple of times so I figure it's battery is near death too so I bought two of the Chicom sensors for about $40 on Ali Express. I plan to have both of them swapped in when I have new tires put on in the near future.

In the event that my bike doesn't automatically recognize them is there a thread here that describes how to use the EL50448 wake up tool and GS-911 to make them work properly?

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
I can't speak to the wake-up tool, but with the GS911wifi you need the TPMS ID #. You input the numbers into the TPMS section for front/rear on the GS911wifi; no need for a wake-up tool.

Duane

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also have installed the Chinese sensors. I did get a defective one though that would not work. I tore the battery out of that one to see if that was the problem but the battery voltage was good. For the price of those sensors you can certainly entertain a defect every now and then! The biggest problem is the waiting for delivery.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I also have installed the Chinese sensors. I did get a defective one though that would not work. I tore the battery out of that one to see if that was the problem but the battery voltage was good. For the price of those sensors you can certainly entertain a defect every now and then! The biggest problem is the waiting for delivery.
So order 3 is what I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So order 3 is what I'm thinking.

I see you have a few '83 CB1100F's. I had purchased one new back in 83, I miss that bike except for the starter engagement gear that keep on fracturing. I did a lot of push starts with it.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I see you have a few '83 CB1100F's. I had purchased one new back in 83, I miss that bike except for the starter engagement gear that keep on fracturing. I did a lot of push starts with it.
I never had starter issues. I had an alternator issue from a dented casting from an overnight blow-over in Steamboat once.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2012 K1600 GTL. How easy/difficult are they to install? Is it as simple as wheels off, deflate, break the bead, switch sensors and re-inflate?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
2012 K1600 GTL. How easy/difficult are they to install? Is it as simple as wheels off, deflate, break the bead, switch sensors and re-inflate?
basically yes, key points fit in the same direction, don't overtighten the retaining bolts and make sure you have the code number of the unit, usually on a sticker on it, also just don't damage the unit when taking the tyre off, putting on, there is a rim sticker for the area to avoid. My 2012 didn't relearn the units, others claim they do. You might need a waking tool and a GS911 to get the new numbers stored in the bike

·
Registered
54 Posts
basically yes, key points fit in the same direction, don't overtighten the retaining bolts and make sure you have the code number of the unit, usually on a sticker on it, also just don't damage the unit when taking the tyre off, putting on, there is a rim sticker for the area to avoid. My 2012 didn't relearn the units, others claim they do. You might need a waking tool and a GS911 to get the new numbers stored in the bike
Thanks for the feedback and tips. Much appreciated. I have a GS911 and I'll get one of the waking tools mentioned in this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
You shouldn't 'need' a waking-up tool. I'd program with the GS911wifi and only purchase the other tool if required.

Duane

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another solution is to replace the worn out batteries in the sensor and the GS911 and the wake-up tool are not needed.

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
@Manna , be sure to post your photos / results from changing batteries in your TPMS. :)

Duane

1 - 20 of 30 Posts