BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Preema
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day ‘instructing’ on a track day and I think the B is probably not the best choice. Stupid dash camera stopped working which was probably for the best. Silly B does not tip enough, I‘ve scraped most of the scrapable bits including the rear pannier guards! Luckily I fitter some sacrificial polyurethane blocks.

Stupid professional riders on R1’s with slicks, I’ll catch you next time...

I can see a dedicated track day bike purchase soon.
(And we did some u-turns in the emergency braking training session, 19’ was the width of the track and we had most of that to use. Some needed all of it, I reckon I was within 17’ diameter easily.... Camera will work next time.)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Were you hanging off bike? It is the “B” that low?

Reactions: Donna

·
Preema
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you hanging off bike? It is the “B” that low?
I was hanging off, scraping toes - and bits of the bike too...
Settings raised the bike as much as possible but not enough. The B is definitely great on the road, but there's clearly a reason the MotoGP bikes don't race with panniers!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Donna were u wearing heels to.

Ian

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Kudos' on taking it on the track. It's always good seeing what your bike can do. First track day?

james

·
Preema
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kudos' on taking it on the track. It's always good seeing what your bike can do. First track day?

james
James,
Ridden a few civilian track days before, on my previous bikes, an ST1300 (with panniers off) and a CBR1000F plus a fair bit on P variants during training, Even rode a few hot laps on the off road XT600E.

And I was in full leathers, without heels ;)

·
Preema
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let’s play a game. Which were my track boots? :D;)

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I know how conservative you are I pick the right side.
Donna get yourself a track bike if your going to play there frequently.
The B is way out of it's element. Light weight and good power any of the 600 will do.

Ian

·
Registered
842 Posts
Respect. You ride like a girl. (BTW, that's a compliment.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
After taking my GTL to the track, and scraping the highway peg mounts on the crash bars, I decided it was time to invest in a track bike. I'd learn a lot more, and I wouldn't feel so bad if and when I crashed it. Ended up going with am SV650. Got the bike and all sorts of track bits to get it sorted for under $3K. USD. You can definitely find them already track prepped for even less.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,885 Posts
After taking my GTL to the track, and scraping the highway peg mounts on the crash bars, I decided it was time to invest in a track bike. I'd learn a lot more, and I wouldn't feel so bad if and when I crashed it.
You may learn more about going faster on your track bike but you won't learn more about going faster, safer, or limitations on your GTL. I've been encouraging riders to enroll in a "safety course" conducted on a track for years. A course geared toward street riding, not racing/going fast. You'll learn more in a good, 2 day course like Reg Prigmore's CLASS, than you'll learn in 20 years of street riding.

Duane

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
First day ‘instructing’ on a track day and I think the B is probably not the best choice.
You actually thought it might be a choice at all, much less the best? Yikes.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
222 Posts
You may learn more about going faster on your track bike but you won't learn more about going faster, safer, or limitations on your GTL. I've been encouraging riders to enroll in a "safety course" conducted on a track for years. A course geared toward street riding, not racing/going fast. You'll learn more in a good, 2 day course like Reg Prigmore's CLASS, than you'll learn in 20 years of street riding.

Duane
Agreed, and that's why I brought my GTL to the track in the first place. I had zero interest at the time in doing traditional track days, but the group putting this event together was gearing it towards learning skills to make you safer on the street, but in the relatively safer atmosphere of the track. I still do those 2 track days each year on the GTL to to keep those skills up and learn new things, as the GTL is the bike that I spend the majority of my time on. The track bike is just as you mentioned, learning more about going fast around a track and has little application to real world riding (If I'm hanging off my street bike that much, then I'm probably going too fast for the street).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Reactions: RDeweger
1 - 18 of 18 Posts