BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up a Uni-go trailer for the GT. Interested in seeing/hearing suggestions for trailer hitches. Bushtec is ruled out, they don't make a hitch to fit the Uni-go. Looks like the DMC is the best way to go, but that's from "reading" about hitches...

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim, do you have a close up photo of your install?

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Not handy but I can get whatever you need when I get home in a couple hours.
Let me know what you want specifically

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked with Uni-go, they were very helpful. Yes, the Bushtec hitch works with the Uni-go trailer, just need to buy the adapter from Uni-go that adapts the Bushtec ball mount to the Uni-go mount. I looked at the DMC hitch but like the curved struts on the Bushtec, should make it easier to change tires... Plus I don't need the isolator which the Busttec doesn't come with (few dollars cheaper than the DMC).

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
The curved struts are nice for removing the wheel, especially as quick as D will have to. As far as the ct, my Bushtec needed quite a bit of modification for the car tire and its still not quite right. MC tire is no issue at all.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim/Tim, you can BET you'll never see a car tire on the back my bike! Just not gonna happen! Thanks Buerk.. for the photos!

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mines a Bushtec with some parts from Unigo to make it work with my Unigo drawbar setup. Bolt this conversion where the ball goes and attach the receiver part to it. I welded mine. I'll get a pic if thats clear as mud.
The Bushtec hitch with the Unigo supplied drawbar works okay. It's fine on rural roads and twisities but wiggles way too much on the interstate, more so while riding solo (70+ mph) or when passing trucks.

Wife and I are planning a trip out west. She'll fly to Sedona while I do the Iron Butt Interstate thing. From there we'll tour AZ and CA. She want's me to take the Unigo. Told her I wouldn't do that unless there was some way to fix its high speed handling issues.

A few riders on various BMW and Goldwing forums claim the unigo drawbar flexes too much. Even though it's a solid piece of steel, there does appear to be moderate flex when rocking the Unigo side to side.

So I had a machine shop fabricate a one piece receiver/drawbar, using heavier gauge steel and gussets. With the new receiver, the side to side rocking motion is significantly reduced.

Just took a 20 min ride on the interstate. I won't say "you don't know its back there", because you can still feel it wiggle a bit in traffic, but it's no longer a white knuckle experience. I had it up to 90, passing semi's and it was entirely manageable.

Here are the before and after photos;

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had a similar experience with the Unigo last year. Resolution was 2 fold, reinforcing the hitch (similar to what your welder did) and raising drawbar on the trailer which lowers the front of the trailer. The combination got rid of all wobble except when behind semi-trucks.

Be sure to change your preload settings whenever towing the trailer. Towing with just me on the bike I set the ESA to 2-up; makes a difference.

It appears you've modified the hitch so it's no longer removable from the bike. That wasn't necessary. Also, the I riveted the Unigo trailer connector to one of the Bushtec side plates.

I've towed at 105 mph, no wobble and 2-up on the twisty roads in WV wasn't slowed down.

Here's a photo my modified hitch. Welds aren't pretty but functional; I don't weld as much as I use to...

One thing is for sure, you won't get much help from Unigo for any wobble issues...

Duane

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
So I had a machine shop fabricate a one piece receiver/drawbar, using heavier gauge steel and gussets. With the new receiver, the side to side rocking motion is significantly reduced.
It appears the one you had made doesn't have a quick attach/detach ability anymore...it seems to be bolted directly to the hitch frame. Am I seeing that correctly?

Do you think you had more play in the drawbar where it fit into the receiver or flex in the steel of the drawbar itself?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It appears the one you had made doesn't have a quick attach/detach ability anymore...it seems to be bolted directly to the hitch frame. Am I seeing that correctly?

Do you think you had more play in the drawbar where it fit into the receiver or flex in the steel of the drawbar itself?
That is correct, it's now a one piece unit.

I don't believe there was much play where the original drawbar fit into the reviewer. IMO, the flex came from the drawbar itself.

I was under a time crunch for my trip so I had the machine shop beef up everything in one go. This included going up to a solid 1" square shaft and eliminating the two-piece detachable design. It also kept the fabrication cost down ~$250.

The new drawbar design is much more compact so I don't mind leaving it installed on the bike full time, and it doesn't prevent me from removing the rear tire. If needed, I could put the old drawbar back in about 15 mins by removing the rear fender.

My solo trip from FL to AZ was a total success. Other than some slight wiggles when passing semi's, the Unigo handled great, quite often running 75-85mph. Riding 2-up from AZ to CA was even better, with almost zero turbulence induced wiggle. I would never have attempted this trip with the old drawbar.

41517517_10217776413827131_6473201586989432832_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@jdanek, I toyed with reinforcing the drawbar itself where it attaches to the bike's receiver. Glad I didn't, reinforcing the hitch took care of all the hitch related sway/wobble problems and I can still remove the hitch when not using.

Duane

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
How much tongue weight are you guys experiencing with the unigo fully loaded?

I've never pulled a unigo, but several years pulling conventional two wheel trailers. Most loaded pretty heavy. I had read where the tongue weight needs to be about 10% (i think) of the trailer weight, and I try to run about 30 lbs, tongue weight. The position of the trailer wheels and adjusting the heavier items in the trailer around is always a procedure I wind up dealing with before taking off on a trip.

At the 30 lb tongue weight, swaying or wobbling has never been a problem, but too little tongue weight, or too much, does seem to cause problems; especially going down steep hills/mountains and even worse if braking downhill.

I like the idea of the unigo, but still trying to learn more about it and how it is possible to tow with as much tongue weight as it LOOKS like it would have with the wheel all the way behind the load, forcing much of the load onto the trailer tongue.

Any input on this from you unigo experienced guys would be appreciated.

Best.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tongue weight not an issue with the Unigo. Almost all weight is loaded in front of the single trailer tire. Max load is 100 lbs. To date, 2-up, 5 day trip, and telling my wife "take whatever you want that fits in the Unigo": about 45 lbs. Should note that all my 'stuff' went into the Unigo and the GT's side cases were empty.

Duane

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did the connector for the electrical harness fit the connector from Uni-Go? Do both companies use the same connector?

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bushtec hitch does not come with electrical components, e.g. connector, isolator, etc. The Unigo came with a connector, male and female ends. I connected to bike via Electrical Connections Isolator that was already installed on the bike.

Duane

1 - 20 of 45 Posts