BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to add a trailer hitch to my 2019 K1600 GTL

Open Road Outfitters looks like it has a good solutions that can not be seen when not in use. Anyone here ever use this brand
Any others you would recommend looking at?

I use a small Third Wheel Trailer (use to pull behind my Harley) that is light enough that you do not even feel it back there.

Thanks

K1600 GTL Hitch, 2012+, Hidden

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Do a search of the forum and you'll find numerous post for trailer hitches/trailers. I tow a Unigo with a BushTec hitch. No complaints, hidden when not in use even with side cases removed.

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Plus for Bushtec as well.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I built my own due to the long wait back when I needed it. There are basically 2 styles available due to the mounting limitation. The Bushtec style uses an arched draw bar design which does not interfere with rear wheel removal at all.the other DMC design uses lower parallel draw bars and can interfere with rear wheel removal. Both require a bit of cutting into the fender, in different locations, but it’s well laid out and not noticeable after reassemble. You will find support for both in the search files. Key thing to know (If you do it yourself) is the location of the lower bars could cause a different approach to removing the rear wheel. I have to lift the center stand 2 inches to allow clearance. Also due to rear end compression swing, there could be contact with the top swing arm support bolt. (I had to make a few adjustments to get it right) If you have a shop do it, just be sure they have done one before. I too pull a Unigo and have had no issues. Here is a good video on an install Hitch Install

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Let me add the Bushtec side bars are raised and curved, e.g. don't impact tire removal.

Duane

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I have a DMC hitch and yes it does cause a issue with removing the rear wheel.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Note that the Open Road Outfitters hitch looks like a DMC hitch.

See comments above on DMC hitches.

I've put many miles on my DMC hitch carrying many different things...

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
@Meese , ...and you wonder why you have a blown gear or two in your transmission? :)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
@Meese , ...and you wonder why you have a blown gear or two in your transmission? :)
As soon as Meese says “carrying many different things” my imagination goes wild...

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
You should see what I do with the bike when it's not towing something...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts