BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When in the course of human events...

Looks like I'm going to have to tow my k1600 on a u-haul motorcycle trailer next week because REASONS.

What straps do you use, how many and where do you attach them?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I ended up look at stuff behind GTs which is interesting but not germain...

Unfortunately none of these threads answers my question.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I had a horrible experience with u-haul motorcycle trailer, going from FL to TX on I-10. Road in horrible condition through AL, MS and LA, worst in MS. Mate behind me said the trailer would bounce around after hitting the worst bumps. I was hauling an ST1300. I used "Haul Master" ratcheting tie downs to keep the bike upright, attached to handle bars and rear grab handles.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use these things called soft ties and ratchet straps, soft ties won't mar the finish and the ratchet straps will hold the bike down securely just be sure not to completely compress the suspension. Or you could use what's called a canyon dancer that goes on the ends of the handlebars and then you hook the ratchet straps to canyon dancer. I've used soft ties and ratchet straps to secure my GSA in the bed of my truck and I've used the canyon dancer to tie down my Kawasaki H2SXSE. You can use pulls to secure the rear of the motorcycle, the rear just needs to be secure enough that the rear end doesn't bounce around. If you have to use a Uhaul trailer get the motorcycle specific trailer because it has a notch to secure the front wheel. If you don't get the motorcycle trailer do yourself a favor and invest in a front wheel chock. The chock will hold the bike upright while you tie it down and also keep the bike upright should one of your straps fail. I've twice used Uhaul trailers without issue. One last thing, periodically check your straps, sometimes they do work their way loose, I double check mine the first few times I stop for gas. If you've never loaded a bike on a trailer it can be done solo but much easier if you have a buddy help and don't try to tie the bike down on the kickstand or center stand.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Your owner's manual will tell you how. Here is a photo showing what it looks like. I am also using a Condor chock. The front straps are fairly snug, the rear straps are just snug enough to take the slack out of the straps, but not at all "tight". These are the straps in the photo: TRAILER KITS :: 2" BIG DADDY'S PREMIUM TRAILER KIT (1 kit)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Noted.

I've trailered a lot with U-Hauls and understand about the bouncing thing. I've just not trailered the K1600. As long as the bike is secure and you are not on a center stand or side stand the bike's suspension should compensate for the big ones.

"Read the Manual" - Will do. Thank you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a couple enclosed trailers one for my classic cars 20’ and a 12’ V Nose Low Boy Haulmark just for my bikes I always tie the front around the fork legs usually two per side in case of a strap failure then from passenger pegs back towards the rear of the trailer and another around the rear rim from far left around the wheel to far right with A microfiber towel to keep the rear shifting left to right. I will not Trailer anything Of importance in an open trailer except my dirt bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My understanding is because they are cast bars and will crack from the constant flex, possibly break.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Where is my Owners manual...

INDEX under MOTORCYCLE, Tying Down 99

Of course when you get there on the lower left is says
"Securing Motorcycle for Transport"

It shows exactly what capav8r did in the picture of his K1600. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
@Sempre Gumby, strap the bike down by the frame, as @capav8r shows in his picture, and you'll have no problems.

Reactions: Sempre Gumby

·
Registered
194 Posts
... I will not Trailer anything Of importance in an open trailer except my dirt bikes ....
Why? They might get a windy experience? Or a pebble? 😱
How do you deal with actually riding the bike?? Does the bike not experience the same conditions?
Meanwhile, I think your RV with the nice enclosed trailer is awesome, but alas I don’t have that kinda money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dragging a trailer behind a truck or RV is like a vacuum it pulls a lot of gravel and sand off the road I don’t tailgate with my motorcycles that close to any thing. Yes I am very anal I keep my motorcycles away from debris.

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Just like capav8r (Matt) shows. The straps I use have a built in soft loop that will go up under the fairing around the suspension casting but these with a separate loop and ratchet buckles along with safety hooks would be better for the front.

The rear only needs something to keep it from hopping side to side when going over bumps, again like Matt says.

Amazon.com: RHINO USA Ratchet Straps Motorcycle Tie Down Kit, 5,208 Break Strength - (2) Heavy Duty 1.6" x 8' Rachet Tiedowns with Padded Handles & Coated Chromoly S Hooks + (2) Soft Loop Tie-Downs (BLACK): Automotive
2 Kendon trailer.JPG

·
Registered
888 Posts
My understanding is because they are cast bars and will crack from the constant flex, possibly break.
Way more than that. Lot's of stories around here from the original years of the bikes about suspension damage or head bearing damage to these bikes if tied down wrong. It used to be a fairly common occurrence but you don't hear about that kind of damage very much anymore.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When in the course of human events...

Looks like I'm going to have to tow my k1600 on a u-haul motorcycle trailer next week because REASONS.

What straps do you use, how many and where do you attach them?

Thanks in advance.
Well Sir,
I didn't read all the responses here so, some of what I'm gonna say might be redundant. Anyway, I was new to the BMW world about 6 weeks ago. Although I'd hauled a zillion motorcycles, including Honda Goldwings for a few zillion miles all over this country, I knew the BMW had some odd front end parts that I was unfamiliar with, for purposes of tying it down. So, I asked on here and looked at a youtube video or two.
It wasn't all that hard to figure out. In reality, it's quite simple. In the pics below, you'll see just how I did it. I knew that, just like a later model Goldwing, you DON'T USE THE HANDLE BARS for tying down on a trailer. What you use is soft ties, that go around the upper section of what would be the lower triple tree on a Wing. But, there's no triple tree on a K1600 so, you improvise.
Once those soft ties are around those lower sections, then tie in some regular straps, either ratcheting or clamp type. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've caught all kinds of flack on using the clamp types. Guess what, I've not lost a bike, on any trailer, on the back of our motorhome, in the back of our truck, for what, maybe 50 years, using CLAMP style tie downs!!!

It's your choice on that one. I use both. But, for the most part, since we tow our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 behind our motorhome, we often load what's called a Rampage lift into the bed of that truck. Then, I prep the lift, roll the bike up to it, tie two tie downs to it in the fashion I explained above, and then, push a button and the K bike is simply pulled up into the back of the truck, all by itself, with a winch. When it's up there and stable, I add 4 more tie downs in strategic spots. I made my own soft ties with TWO loops on the front.

One loop is for pre-loading and hauling the bike up into the truck. The second loop is for securing the bike to the bed of the truck. I then use soft ties on the frame, just above the passenger foot peg and, ratchet straps hooked to those soft ties, and over to the bed. I now have SIX tie downs holding that K bike in position, in the back of the truck. AND NONE OF THEM GO TO THE HANDLE BARS! That K bike is as stable as a rock, a BIG rock!
Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Your tie down method looks GREAT with plenty of redundancy. You should have NO problems at all. Happy traveling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts