BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give a shout out to South South Motorcycles (Tacoma Wa.). Brought my 2018 K1600B in on a Saturday, bike was ready on the following Tuesday. Bike runs awesome, shifts even better. The process could not have gone better and I'm glad its done! Thanks South Sound, job well done.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I enjoy good reports.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i got the trans call today, sounds like they are essential, like me. hope i can leave it there, and wave thru the window. they can just point me to my loaner for a couple days. im not picky, it can be any model, used ok too. just as long as i get my baby done!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am guessing that US dealers are getting kits now. I am scheduled for the 9th with a kit ready for mine. Was told, next day will be ready for a pick up. I have to say that until today, I had zero riding issue with anything on my GA. Just a super motor/transmission. The shifting is and was always perfect. I LOVE the Shift-Assist !!!!!!! Cross Country BMW in NJ on the ball. To all NY, NJ who know them, Justin the Service Organizer has a title that fits him 100%. Very professional guys on saff. Other than sales/service, I have no relations with the dealer. Happy, safe riding to all......!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2019 GT was finished about a week ago by Cycle Werks (Barrington, IL). Got on the list at the end of January, they kept in touch through February, and I got the call on 3/21. They kept it a couple of days and everything seems perfect. Just need a couple sunny days now!

·
Registered
207 Posts
BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon got mine done a couple of weeks ago. Dropped it off on a Tuesday morning and it was ready Thursday afternoon. Just like they said it would be. I can't even tell they did the work. Transmission was perfect in my eyes before, and remains that way after the work.

I have to say, I really like the small intimate dealer atmosphere of this BMW shop. It reminds me of some HD shops 20 years ago when I started riding. I hate how HD forced those dealer owners to monstrous shops with freeway access. My favorite HD dealer was a converted house in a Salem, OR neighborhood. Wooden floors that had oil stains on them etc. It was awesome. Now that dealer is two buildings right off I-5. Not the same.

Zach

·
Registered
755 Posts
I want to give a shout out to South South Motorcycles (Tacoma Wa.). Brought my 2018 K1600B in on a Saturday, bike was ready on the following Tuesday. Bike runs awesome, shifts even better. The process could not have gone better and I'm glad its done! Thanks South Sound, job well done.
Another shout out to South Sound from me. I bought my '18 GTL at South Sound. I traded in a '15 R1200R that I also purchased there. I've done most of my own routine servicing on both bikes, but I had a warranty issue on each of them that South Sound handled well. That included ordering a replacement rear shock assembly for the R12R from Germany based on a phone call and emailed photos from me without even taking the bike in to show it to them first. They also took a lean angle sensor off a bike on the showroom floor to install on my GTL because they didn't have one in stock. Good customer service.

I think the sales part of South Sound is shut down right now due to the pandemic, but the service department is definitely open. They provide service for the police motorcycle fleet, so that may account for them being open; but I think most vehicle service shops are open as they are considered essential and rightfully so.

Since South Sound is currently unable to provide a loner, they sent a guy in a van to pick my GTL up at my house just yesterday. It's a little over an hour away from my house. I didn't ask why they didn't have a loaner, but they told me they would normally be able to offer one if it were not for the coronavirus shutdown so that's why they offered the van pickup and drop off. I'm supposed to get my GTL back tomorrow. This is for the transmission recall work.

For those that have had the work done, a question: What sort of documentation did you get from your dealership to confirm the recall work was performed? I assume it'll be something just like the warranty work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dropped off my '18 K1600B at Cross Country BMW in NJ this morning for the tranny recall. Asked the Service Mgr how many they've done so far and he said "about 40". Asked him what they've found so far and he said "Nothing. We're replacing parts per the recall, but so far it appears to be much ado about nothing".

·
Registered
26 Posts
My transmission was done a few weeks ago at San Jose BMW in Northern California and I have a few hundred miles on it on US1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. Lots of surfers still out around Big Basin in the morning.

Happy to report it is better than ever!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys have had a much better experience than I have had.
I've known about this recall, since last October. I found out about it on my own. No email. No mail. Nothing. I had to call BMW to confirm that my 2018 K1600GT was 'on the list'.
Called back in the fall. No remedy.
Called again in January. No remedy.
Found out on my own about a remedy. No call. No email. No mail. No carrier pigeon.
Called my Dealer, (GO AZ BMW in Scottsdale) and told me that the kits are on order, but it's slow. "We can book you in 30+ days (or more) once they come in". Told me to call back.
Now, they are shut down the whole month of April.
Hope I don't seize up doing a 10% grade decent! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've known about this recall, since last October. I found out about it on my own. No email. No mail. Nothing. I had to call BMW to confirm that my 2018 K1600GT was 'on the list'.
Found out on my own about a remedy. No call. No email. No mail. No carrier pigeon.
Called my Dealer, (GO AZ BMW in Scottsdale) and told me that the kits are on order, but it's slow. "We can book you in 30+ days (or more) once they come in". Told me to call back.
Contact James at Iron Horse Motorcycles (BMW) in Tucson. I believe they're still open for service and have a great technician (Grant) who did my recall service a few weeks back.

Depending on where you live in the Valley, it's worth the ride to Tucson. "They treat your bike like it's their bike"!! I won't bring my GT anywhere else for service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the original notification in October but after nothing after that. I called into BMW several times and they told me it was coming sometime in the Spring only to find out people were already getting them done at the dealership though this forum. Mine was scheduled in April but pushed into May. GoAZ have been very good to work with but the communication from BMW is poor at best. They were suppose to send us a letter when a fix was available. In the future, it would recommend the dealerships contact the owners and/or when the owners call in, create a list and work on schedules. Fix status from BMW should be their priority to its customers.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Transmission work completed.
In on a Wednesday back on Friday.
No surprises no hidden fees.
No issues.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I got my '18 GTL back from South Sound yesterday. They picked it up and brought it back two days later. Went for a ride today and everything seems fine. Looks like they used some sort of blue gasket sealant on the cover, there is a tiny little bit squished out here and there, normal looking I'd say. No oil leaks that I can find.

They sent a $0 invoice for my records showing the recall work was done. I assume they enter the VIN into some BMW database also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is in now at Performance BMW in Memphis. They added me to the list, contacted me and I dropped off the B. Great folks to work with there. Marvin and Tim are all about good service and down to earth folks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I posted in recall not Recall Results I am happy to say I picked my K1600B up today from Burbank BMW and all is great don't know how it could be better but the feel and shifting are better then before very happy

1 - 20 of 58 Posts