BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My K1600BGA recall was completed 2 weeks ago by Ride Now Euro Chandler. I didn't check my reverse at the time. When I used the reverse last week, it made an awful grinding noise with no motion.
It's back at the shop waiting on parts (I think the reverser cable).
Be sure to check your reverse function when you pick your bike up.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Well I got my GTL back today after two weeks in the shop. Reverse works fine, seems to go thru the gears fine shifts smooth with and without the clutch. The problem now is in neutral with the clutch pulled in it is nice and quiet. I let it out and there is a whining noise. Like a throw out bearing or something. Would that be an adjustment problem?

Thanks,
Reb

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
The problem now is in neutral with the clutch pulled in it is nice and quiet. I let it out and there is a whining noise. Like a throw out bearing or something. Would that be an adjustment problem?
Both of my GTLs have always made more noise with the clutch released than pulled while in neutral.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Thanks for the info, I probably didn't pay as much attention before the recall. I'll put some miles on it tomorrow and make sure she stays together (y)
(y)

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Thanks for the info, I probably didn't pay as much attention before the recall. I'll put some miles on it tomorrow and make sure she stays together (y)
(y)
I admit it was a bit disconcerting at first. On my 2012 it is kind of a rattling grinding sound. However, after 105,000 miles all on the same clutch, I have come to accept the noise as a price of doing business. 🤣

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I am still waiting for my appointment which is scheduled for May 6th. Considering I received my first notice in January, this has been a very slow business.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
I am still waiting for my appointment which is scheduled for May 6th. Considering I received my first notice in January, this has been a very slow business.
Mine was six months from letter to completion. Four months doesn't seem so bad. 🤓

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the recall done on my 2018 B. After I picked it up from the dealer, I shifted into 6th and the engine just revved like you missed a gear. I shifted back to 5th then to 6th, same thing the engine was racing. I called the dealer and asked them if the even test drove it. They said they always test drive the bikes. I always use the quick shift feature and told them the first time I hit 6th gear it happened. They picked up the bike and a few days later they said they installed one of the gear incorrectly and it came loose when I use the quick shifter. Good luck to everyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Smoknc6z06 Things could have gotten a lot worse what if those gears locked up at that speed. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
755 Posts
.... They picked up the bike and a few days later they said they installed one of the gear incorrectly and it came loose when I use the quick shifter. Good luck to everyone else.
I'm glad I waited a few months (I was riding as usual during that time) until the dealership I use had already done the recall on a number of bikes. They told be that they dedicated one of their technicians to do all the recall work. Doesn't mean nothing could still go wrong, but that tech's experience changes the odds of that happening.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Picked up my bike 2 days ago from Cross Country BMW in Metuchen,NJ from having transmission recall done. Everything was seamless. Called for appointment. service writer ordered parts, and set An appointment about a week later. From the sound of the service writer, it seems as though they have done quite a few of these. Dropped it off and was completed when they said it would be, which was 3 days later. It took me about 10 days to go pick it up, because of weather and my schedule. Bike performed with no issues mechanically and no issues with workmanship. My bike is a 2019 B with only 350 miles at time of work. Now that our weather is getting better hopefully I’ll be able to rack up some miles.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My closer dealer said they can do bikes with less than 1k miles, but are awaiting some parts for bikes with more miles. Meanwhile, the dealer a couple hours away says they have done 15 so far, but they want to keep the bike for a few days. So much for a ride-in, ride-out day. I guess I can trailer it up there, but I don't really want to do that. Need to talk the wife into going up there.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Works great, no issues (yet :) It's smooth shifting but really can't say it's any smoother than the original transmission. Pleased with BMW of Cleveland's workmanship and support!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts